The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

Absolutely no clue what team needs are, but what would it take to acquire another top 15 pick?  Minny, Coyotes, or Panthers?  Dream scenario is to get Broberg followed by Soderstrom.  Two high end D picks to solidify the back end. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sonoman said:

Absolutely no clue what team needs are, but what would it take to acquire another top 15 pick?  Minny, Coyotes, or Panthers?  Dream scenario is to get Broberg followed by Soderstrom.  Two high end D picks to solidify the back end. 

Broberg and Seider for me, but I get your thinking.  

55 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Panthers would for sure want a goalie going back. Not sure DiPietro would be the goalie they'd want, probably ask for Demko. Minnie would probably want a center, probably a younger one. Again, likely not a lower tier player like Gaudette. It's hard to gauge what Coyotes would want. They should probably just stay the course and let their kids keep developing. Get some vets in free agency. Try find a Roussel or Beagle of their own.

It would be fantastic to get at least one d-man and a really good winger in the 1st round. Or double down on d-men. Either one works. Getting a pick in the 15 range will be difficult though. Unless someone will accept Tanev and a 2nd or something. Which seems doubtful. I can't see us drafting twice in the top 15. Maybe find a pick in the 25 range for cheapish. But getting a top 15 pick is too rich in assets we'd rather keep in all likelihood.

• Cheers 1

I've been racking my brain for the last month trying to figure out a way we could land another 1st in the 20-25 range. 

Most option involve trading down from 10th because we are so devoid of extra picks. I would look to trade down to the 13-16 range (FLA, ARI, MTL, COL) and add an extra 2nd rounder. From that list, Montreal would probably be the most likely to make a move like that and they have an extra 2nd rounder and they have the 15th overall pick. So let's say we make that deal (or something similar); 10th overall to Montreal for 15th overall + their 2nd. We now have 15th overall and two 2nds. 

From there, we would use some combination of our two 2nds, taking back cap and maybe adding another piece if necessary (something like Goldobin) to move into the 20-25 range (ANA, NYR, PIT, LA, NSH, WSH). From that list, I think the most likely teams to trade down would be Pittsburgh or Washington as they don't have any real prospect depth. We could take back a contract like Rust or Niskanen to help out their cap situations and keep another asset. I think something like 22nd overall pick + Rust for Montreal's 2nd + Goldobin. We now have the 15th overall pick, the 22nd overall pick and our 2nd rounder.

Now, if we really wanted to get crazy, we could go after Washington's pick anyway. They need cap space, but Niskanen isn't a pure cap dump. He still has value considering he's a RHD, even though he had an off year somewhat. I think something like Niskanen + 25th overall for 2nd + 3rd + Goldobin's rights would be at least close to getting it done. We lose our mid round picks, but they all get upgraded to 1st rounders so it doesn't really hurt us. 

Recap:

Trade down - 10th OA for 15th OA + MTL 2nd

Trade up -  MTL 2nd + Goldobin for Rust + 22nd OA

Trade up - Niskanen + 25th OA for 2nd + 3rd + RFA Goldobin

We end up with 15th OA, 22nd OA and 25th OA. 

With those picks, I would target a defenseman at 15th (Heinola, Soderstrom or Seider) and then Dorofeyev with one of the other two picks. Take BPA with the remaining pick regardless of position. It's evident that Vancouver hosting the draft is in Benning's mind and this would be the type of splash that fans would love. Getting to call not one, not two but three names out in the first round would be pretty cool. We would also add an experienced RW with speed and Niskanen who fills a positional hole at RD. I don't think either of those players are useless plugs and could be useful for us next year. 

Somehow I doubt something like this would happen given Benning's track record, but it would be amazing if it did. 

• Wat 1

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yes, me too. Both skate very well (Hughes is a phenom), Broberg has size and a big shot from the point, already playing against men. He reminds me of Edler, but I think he'll be better. That would be a great 1st pairing eventually, I think. Broberg could probably make the team during the later part of this coming season. Just in time for the playoffs ;)

late 2019/20

Edler - UFA

Tryamkin - Hughes

Broberg - Stecher

Juolevi - Schenn

(dreaming?)

where does woo fit in?

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

where does woo fit in?

I'm a big Woo supporter but realistically understand he'll be in Calgary for a year then Utica for at least another year or more.   Defense is the hardest position to break into the league imo....  Not realistic to slot him into the lineup as a regular before 3 years.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I would assume he goes to arbitration this summer then after next season goes to Free Agency as a UFA. 

Unfortunately for the Jets, you could be right as they have a cap hit problem and they will lose one of their great players this off season.  Unfortunately for the Canucks, the Jets don't have a 1st round pick, so acquiring Trouba's rights via exchanging picks can't happen. 

Still, if he does become a UFA after next season, I would hope the Canucks would jump at it.  They'd finally have their #1 dman and right side to boot!

9 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I mean, you could waste your draft pick taking anyone. If a guy isn't good enough for the NHL what difference does it make if he wasted our time and resources in Utica longer than a Russian that just left instead? Not sure developing in Utica is as valuable as people make it either, especially for elite prospects. Petey skipped it, Boeser skipped it, Bo skipped it. Elite talent generally doesn't need it unless they played in the CHL where the post draft years were largely wasted beating up on kids instead of playing against adults like NCAA, SHL and KHL drafted prospects did. If someone is taking Podkolzin top 10 he likely just needs 2 years to mature his body and hone some things in his game. He can do that anywhere. 

Kesler

Burrows

Bieksa

Scneider

Markstrom

Hansen

Biega

Demko

Edler

etc.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Unfortunately for the Jets, you could be right as they have a cap hit problem and they will lose one of their great players this off season.  Unfortunately for the Canucks, the Jets don't have a 1st round pick, so acquiring Trouba's rights via exchanging picks can't happen. 

Still, if he does become a UFA after next season, I would hope the Canucks would jump at it.  They'd finally have their #1 dman and right side to boot!

Multiple sources (including Bob McKenzie) have said that Trouba wants to play for an Eastern-US team. That's why he hasn't done long term in Winnipeg - it's not just that town, he does not want to be in Canada, or in the West.

As the most-West team in the league, in Canada, we have zero chance of signing him. So may as well find a new dream. 

• Cheers 1

The possibility of a trade down also has to be discussed.

If Ottawa were interested in moving into the top 10, maybe they would part with 18 and 32?

Would still allow us to get a good forward and defenseman at either spot.

46 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Multiple sources (including Bob McKenzie) have said that Trouba wants to play for an Eastern-US team. That's why he hasn't done long term in Winnipeg - it's not just that town, he does not want to be in Canada, or in the West.

As the most-West team in the league, in Canada, we have zero chance of signing him. So may as well find a new dream. 

It could just be they hard balled him in two negotiations already?

Or that he can be flown to the airport on a swarm of mosquito's bigger than Dumbo in summer. An arctic wind blast in winter that would make Calgary blush... Mind you, I think he's from Minnesota isn't he? That's not much better. I suppose guys work hard to get what leverage they can.  

No wonder no Canadian team has won in 25 years.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

And he’s a big boy too, isn’t he?  I would hope JB takes the bigger body if two guys are close in all other parts of the evaluation.

im wondering if Dach could fall to us?  He could be a steal of a pick at ten, considering what you said, and he’s so big.  Does he play with some nastiness?  

Well, someone in the top 8 or so is bound to fall, especially when the talent level between 3-10 aren’t that far off from each other. I mean look at last year, when Veleno, Dobson, and Zadina fell a few spots. Two years ago, Vilardi was pegged to be a top 5 talent in his draft year and fell to 11th. 

7 hours ago, Fanuck said:

I'm a big Woo supporter but realistically understand he'll be in Calgary for a year then Utica for at least another year or more.   Defense is the hardest position to break into the league imo....  Not realistic to slot him into the lineup as a regular before 3 years.

Woo apparently has an NHL body, athleticism already.

But yeah, that's a normal time frame for a guys who is not a lottery pick? Take Josh Leivo, a bit later pick but similar body / athelete (?) in a forward? 2 years post draft in junior. 3 full years in the minors with few callups. Then he started playing in the NHL.  

With some luck Jett will arrive faster. More importantly; just that he makes it!