The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Instead of Broberg, what about Seider?  

I’d be happy with him, I just think that there’s a better chance he drops to 40 like Woo did instead of Benning picking him at 10. It’s too much to pick someone ranked in the mid-late 20s at 10. Not a fan of trading down, as I prefer we decide our own destiny. 

Not to say I think he drops, I don’t, but the chance of us getting him at 40 are higher than at 10. 

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

It's a false narrative IMO.

Guys with speed and skill are going to go high regardless. Why wouldn't they? If they also have size, all the better. 'Quinn Hughes' with another few inches and 20+ lbs would likely have gone first (if not, then 2nd) overall though, not 7th.

Teams aren't phobic of size in reality, they're simply no longer taking big guys who can't also skate and have at least decent puck skills and IQ like they used to.

Nobody's taking the small, really skilled guy who can't skate either. 

What does “false narrative “ mean?  I’m not a GM but only the past few years have the smaller players crept higher up the draft everything being equal except skating (which is the easier skill to improve. At least that’s what the experts say).  

Burke said it clearly last draft that when he was a GM skating was 3 or 4th down the ladder in what teams were looking for and last draft the first three were “skating, skating, skating” ahead of things like hockey IQ, shooting ability and size..well everything else really.  

Maybe im old school and appreciate other things and understand that a team built of small defenseman and forwards that can skate well isn’t going to win anything.  Raymond, Hedican etc etc.  

Im not saying skating isn’t important because it is, and it’s fun to watch too, but so is hitting, shooting bombs from the point and big guys that can do most things but afterburners (St Louis was loaded with them). 

Why don’t we wait and see how things unfold, I’m thinking both Seider and Broberg will now go way ahead of their ISS ranking of 21 and 22.   Not that Broberg can’t skate because he can, one scouting report I read was he doesn’t so much skate as fly down the ice...which is his biggest skill...his size now could become what moves him up IMO...as his other skills are ok but not great.

TB built around sub-six forwards (OK Stamkos not inclusive but he’s not big either) and got rolled over by CLB.  (man I wish we could have picked PLD instead).   After an almost record winning regular season.   Point, Gourde and Kucherov are all 5’7 - 5’11.   

As far as Hughes goes I’m excited he’s on our team...we’ve never had anything quite like him.  But a 5’9” (listed at 5’10”) defenseman under 180 isn’t someone who can pin guys to the boards, throw a decent hit or clear the net.  Or shoot bombs from the point.  Don’t those skills matter too anymore?   Rather have Parayoko.   Maybe even Sergechev.   Or Bouchard.   But what do I know.   Maybe he’s a superstar.   This is the new NHL where toughness and size have taken a back seat for “that’s a small body folks, a small body”.  Yet another big team wins the cup.  Which is the goal isn’t it?

THN ranks Hughes as the second best prospect ... and I’m truly looking forward to watching him.   But I’m not convinced that speed is best and makes other skills inadequate....including size.   If that’s a “false narrative” then too bad, that’s how I feel after watching/following hockey after decades. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, IBatch said:

What does “false narrative “ mean?  I’m not a GM but only the past few years have the smaller players crept higher up the draft everything being equal except skating (which is the easier skill to improve. At least that’s what the experts say).   

They've crept higher because skating, IQ, puck skills etc are frankly more important in winning hockey games than size without those things. That does not mean size isn't important. Nor does it mean that teams are only focusing on small, fast skilled guys which is what the narrative seems to be. No GM on any team is going to turn down a 6'-3" 195lb 18 year old that can play like Quinn Hughes. But those guys pretty much don't exist. And if they do, they're going a HELL of a lot closer to 1st OA than 7th.

All the current NHL is doing is moving away from slow, low skill/IQ big guys. Not big guys in general. That's the false narrative. Big guys who can skate and play are just as (if not more) welcome as ever.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2

If I'm Edmonton I think it would be foolish not to take Broberg. Size, mobility and skating ability is so important on the back-end, and not easy to acquire. Having a d core revolving around Broberg, Bouchard and Nurse would be quite something else.

Besides only a couple of players that may be available at 10, Broberg is the guy I'm really hoping we take if he's available. At worst, even if he doesn't reach his top-pairing potential, he will add so many dimensions to our back-end that we are currently lacking in. He'd be a HUGE piece for us for so many years.

I love so many of these prospects and for good reason, but if Broberg is available at our pick, we have a very unique opportunity to land this kind of player. Here's hoping!

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Burke said it clearly last draft that when he was a GM skating was 3 or 4th down the ladder in what teams were looking for and last draft the first three were “skating, skating, skating” ahead of things like hockey IQ, shooting ability and size..well everything else really.  

Maybe im old school and appreciate other things and understand that a team built of small defenseman and forwards that can skate well isn’t going to win anything.  Raymond, Hedican etc etc.  

Im not saying skating isn’t important because it is, and it’s fun to watch too, but so is hitting, shooting bombs from the point and big guys that can do most things but afterburners (St Louis was loaded with them). 

Why don’t we wait and see how things unfold, I’m thinking both Seider and Broberg will now go way ahead of their ISS ranking of 21 and 22.   Not that Broberg can’t skate because he can, one scouting report I read was he doesn’t so much skate as fly down the ice...which is his biggest skill...his size now could become what moves him up IMO...as his other skills are ok but not great.

TB built around sub-six forwards (OK Stamkos not inclusive but he’s not big either) and got rolled over by CLB.  (man I wish we could have picked PLD instead).   After an almost record winning regular season.   Point, Gourde and Kucherov are all 5’7 - 5’11.   

As far as Hughes goes I’m excited he’s on our team...we’ve never had anything quite like him.  But a 5’9” (listed at 5’10”) defenseman under 180 isn’t someone who can pin guys to the boards, throw a decent hit or clear the net.  Or shoot bombs from the point.  Don’t those skills matter too anymore?   Rather have Parayoko.   Maybe even Sergechev.   Or Bouchard.   But what do I know.   Maybe he’s a superstar.   This is the new NHL where toughness and size have taken a back seat for “that’s a small body folks, a small body”.  Yet another big team wins the cup.  Which is the goal isn’t it?

THN ranks Hughes as the second best prospect ... and I’m truly looking forward to watching him.   But I’m not convinced that speed is best and makes other skills inadequate....including size.   If that’s a “false narrative” then too bad, that’s how I feel after watching/following hockey after decades. 

Size while still a factor , there is certain times when exceptional skill and skating will make you elite in this league, hughes is going to be a stud.

27 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

If I'm Edmonton I think it would be foolish not to take Broberg. Size, mobility and skating ability is so important on the back-end, and not easy to acquire. Having a d core revolving around Broberg, Bouchard and Nurse would be quite something else.

Besides only a couple of players that may be available at 10, Broberg is the guy I'm really hoping we take if he's available. At worst, even if he doesn't reach his top-pairing potential, he will add so many dimensions to our back-end that we are currently lacking in. He'd be a HUGE piece for us for so many years.

I love so many of these prospects and for good reason, but if Broberg is available at our pick, we have a very unique opportunity to land this kind of player. Here's hoping!

Edmonton might value Boldy or Dach higher, even Podz.  If anything, Holland could trade up with JP and the 8th to move up to grab Bryam.  I would if I was him.  This is going to be a interesting draft and anything is possible past the 2nd pick.  

Broberg is a guy I hope is Available, in fact I hope JB has his choice at the second best d man again.  Hughes was awesome.  

Who do you think Redwings will take at 6 ? Yzerman just says the Obvious he’s drafting Best Players Available. I say Zegras just because he talks about will the player gain weight, will he become bigger, etc.

its interesting getting other team GMs view of the draft.

Edited by HockeyHarry

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

I pointed to something similar in another thread that people didn't like hearing,  and had a LOT of bs replies to. That was the fact that all these 'elite' skating smaller stature players like Guderau,  Johnson,  Kucherov,  Point,  Arvidson,  ect.... all virtually disappeared in these playoffs.  They were nowhere to be found when the physicality rose to stratospheric levels and time/space to skate/dangle was not there. 

Sure,  people came back with Rat-boy being in the finals but I don't think it's debatable that the majority of smaller guys who dominated the reg season didn't show up in the post season strangely enough.   And I don't mean their production dropped off due to the nature of lower scoring playoff hockey - I mean these small guys were shadows of their regular season performances. I mean was it just a coincidence or a 'one-off' post season? 

That said I do wonder about a kid like QH - anyone thinking he's more elite than guys like Gudreau,  Kucherov,  Point ect...and that he somehow has something these other superstars lack which will make him immune to the physical intensity of playoff hockey is dreaming imo.    

No, I'm not saying he can't be successful,  just asking how he's different than these other stars who made zero impact in the playoffs?  Take the Homer glasses off people and just think about it for a minute. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I pointed to something similar in another thread that people didn't like hearing,  and had a LOT of bs replies to. That was the fact that all these 'elite' skating smaller stature players like Guderau,  Johnson,  Kucherov,  Point,  Arvidson,  ect.... all virtually disappeared in these playoffs.  They were nowhere to be found when the physicality rose to stratospheric levels and time/space to skate/dangle was not there. 

Sure,  people came back with Rat-boy being in the finals but I don't think it's debatable that the majority of smaller guys who dominated the reg season didn't show up in the post season strangely enough.   And I don't mean their production dropped off due to the nature of lower scoring playoff hockey - I mean these small guys were shadows of their regular season performances. I mean was it just a coincidence or a 'one-off' post season? 

That said I do wonder about a kid like QH - anyone thinking he's more elite than guys like Gudreau,  Kucherov,  Point ect...and that he somehow has something these other superstars lack which will make him immune to the physical intensity of playoff hockey is dreaming imo.    

No, I'm not saying he can't be successful,  just asking how he's different than these other stars who made zero impact in the playoffs?  Take the Homer glasses off people and just think about it for a minute. 

You realize you're questioning the kid who most CDC'ers already have winning the Calder and next 10 Norris trophies?  These people don't care if other teams small guys disappeared in the playoffs - QH won't and they will have nothing to do with anyone who says otherwise. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, PlanB said:

You realize you're questioning the kid who most CDC'ers already have winning the Calder and next 10 Norris trophies?  These people don't care if other teams small guys disappeared in the playoffs - QH won't and they will have nothing to do with anyone who says otherwise. 

Big guys disappear in the playoffs too.  It’s not about the player’s physical size, but the size of their heart.  Quinn Hughes is a high compete guy, just like Petey.  These guys actually relish the pressure, because it makes them even better.  

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Who do you think Redwings will take at 6 ? Yzerman just says the Obvious he’s drafting Best Players Available. I say Zegras just because he talks about will the player gain weight, will he become bigger, etc.

its interesting getting other team GMs view of the draft.

I think the Wings will take Podkolzin, if he’s still on the board.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Big guys disappear in the playoffs too.  It’s not about the player’s physical size, but the size of their heart.  Quinn Hughes is a high compete guy, just like Petey.  These guys actually relish the pressure, because it makes them even better.  

I would actually agree with the intangible factor - 'heart' if you want to call it that.   I was wondering how long it would take for someone to bring that up - but here's the catch imo, if you say heart is the difference you're really questioning the heart of all these smaller guys that disappeared on the playoffs - several of them well established superstars.    I'm not sure I fully buy that though. 

4 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I would actually agree with the intangible factor - 'heart' if you want to call it that.   I was wondering how long it would take for someone to bring that up - but here's the catch imo, if you say heart is the difference you're really questioning the heart of all these smaller guys that disappeared on the playoffs - several of them well established superstars.    I'm not sure I fully buy that though. 

Pressure affects people differently.  It looks like the Lightening have guys, both big and small, that are affected negatively by pressure. Calgary has the same problem.  A three foot putt in golf with buddies on the weekend is nothing.  Have 1000 dollars riding on that putt, and it’s a different story.  Most people will feel that added pressure as a negative.  There are those few though who thrive on that pressure, and they perform better.  

26 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

And rat boy plays 20 lbs over his weight!

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He is tweeney though.... watched him easily pushed off the puck in World jns and in worlds.