The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Who's the one that was going to chant Karlsson at the draft? The team might get confused and draft this guy 10th overall!

I was one saying chant st SJ game, but he wasn’t playing even ahah

18 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Soderstrom hasnt been very impressive this tournament, would have liked to see some offensive upside playing against younger competition then hes used to and is now injured.

This definitely seems like a forward draft, should be able to get a top line player at #10 vs a second pair dman or a high risk D pick that could boom or bust.  

I agree

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Button has Caufield going to EDM. I can kind of see that. I'll be bummed at first, thoughts of McDavid and Caufield reeking havoc, and then I realized, this is EDM. They will probably rush the little guy into the lineup and with his small size, he'll struggle with the time and space. I'm not sure he could keep up to McDavid anyway. Maybe they put him with Draisaitl? With them having Yamamoto in the system already, drafting Caufield seems kind of redundant. Sounds like an Oilers pick.

The Oilers will ruin anyone they decide to take at 9. Other than McDavid (who would be a 100 pt player no matter  where he went) and Draisaitl, they have continued to ruin good prospects thinking they can play past their development stage. I cringe whenever they pick an exciting player. 

Edited by NeilColville
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, NeilColville said:

The Oilers will ruin anyone they decide to take at 9. Other than McDavid (who would be a 100 pt player no matter  where he went) and Draisaitl, they have continued to ruin good prospects thinking they can play past their development stage. I cringe whenever they pick an exciting player. 

What about who they take at 8?

I could honestly see them picking Soderstrom or Broberg if Byram isn't around. Caufield would be my guess, though, simply because he does everything Kailer Yamamoto can but at a more proficient and consistent level. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

I could honestly see them picking Soderstrom or Broberg if Byram isn't around. Caufield would be my guess, though, simply because he does everything Kailer Yamamoto can but at a more proficient and consistent level. 

I meant 8th my bad. There is no way Byram is available at 8th. I believe the Canucks will have the chance to draft an excellent player at 10th

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I agree! But just had a thought. I remember the 2017 Draft, I reeeeeally wanted Vilardi or Glass, but then Benning went to the podium and selected this skinny Swedish kid I never really considered. I was in disbelief. How could he pick this skinny kid over the higher ranked players with size? It wasn't until I really started to watch Pettersson that I realized Benning had chosen the right player and how lucky we were to get him. So, saying that, maybe Benning does take Harley? Maybe he will be just like Chabot? Maybe were all hoping for Krebs and Turcotte, but Harley is actually the better player and has a higher ceiling? Maybe Harley is the best fit for the Canucks?  From what I've seen of Harley, he is an excellent skater, good hockey sense, can jump in the play, defensively responsible, etc. He's also 6'3", and maybe he'll fill in when Edler's days are done. The left side would look great anyway:

Hughes

Harley

Juolevi

Tryamkin

Makes some poor decisions. Inconsistent defensively. Has a problem with getting caught pinching.

He's big & skates well, moves the puck well. But he's got things to iron out in order to be a good top 4. We already have a gambler with Quinn who's alot better.

Not the right pick for us IMO. There'll be a good forward option.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

I meant 8th my bad. There is no way Byram is available at 8th. I believe the Canucks will have the chance to draft an excellent player at 10th

13 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Makes some poor decisions. Inconsistent defensively. Has a problem with getting caught pinching.

He's big & skates well, moves the puck well. But he's got things to iron out in order to be a good top 4. We already have a gambler with Quinn who's alot better.

Not the right pick for us IMO. There'll be a good forward option.

IMHO he plays the wrong side to be a serious consideration for the Canucks at 10th. It'll be a right side defenseman or one of the forwards...

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I've heard that comparison before, wasn't it Button who said he reminds Harley of Chabot? He also compared Krebs to Ryan O'Reilly. I really like Harley too, but at #10 there will be a few real good top 6 forwards. I think about Woo, taken in the 2nd. He's going to be a good Dman for the Canucks in a couple of years. My hope is that they nab a good Dman with the 2nd again. Perhaps Thomson, Seider or McCarthy.  

Can’t remember where I heard the comp. I agree with forward at 10 just feel BPA is the guy that’s available if it’s Boldy, Zegras or Krebs. A couple of those dmen I don’t know if they make it to our 2nd however if they do seem like no brainers. Me personally I’m leaning forward at both 1rst and 2nd round picks. Really like Puistola, Pelletier (if he falls because of height) and Rees.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

I would be horrified if what Button's mock draft says comes to pass. 

Literally overlooking Turcotte, Krebs, Zegras, Newhook and Soderstrom for Harley... that would be a very disappointing day in Vancouver in my books.

I can just imagine the reaction on CDC and then Harley becomes the best player of the draft. Not like something like this has happened before!

• Haha 2

Button seemed very high on a D named Makar in a recent draft. I was skeptical as all heck due to no exposure, lower end competition but I sure like his game with the Av's to start the playoffs. He was high on the Kid then and sure looks like he was right.

At least Button is changing up some of his rankings, its easy to stay complacent and stick to the same group. There is usually a surpise pick or a faller so lets see what happens...

4 hours ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

If they did I wonder if they put Yamamoto on the block. I like him.

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Button seemed very high on a D named Makar in a recent draft. I was skeptical as all heck due to no exposure, lower end competition but I sure like his game with the Av's to start the playoffs. He was high on the Kid then and sure looks like he was right.

At least Button is changing up some of his rankings, its easy to stay complacent and stick to the same group. There is usually a surpise pick or a faller so lets see what happens...

To be fair Makar was very high on most lists, alot of people had him as the number 1 D in the whole draft.

• Upvote 1