The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

22 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Considering that Benning suggested he wants to add size in the later rounds and emphasized a lot on the Blues size on the blueline, at 40th overall I feel Kaeden Korczak and maybe Henry Thrun in the third round at pick 71. 

I think with too many dynamic offensive forwards available at number 10, they will take a forward and focus afterwards on big Dman and big wingers in the later rounds.

Korczak sounds great in the 2nd. Him or Lassi Thomson, although Thomson is looking more like a late 1st. He’s also not super big. Korczak has size and is right handed though. Would be a good 2nd rounder. 6’2, likely 6’3 if he can grow just a tad more.  Would be a very nice fit in the future core if he develops well. Both of them are right handed and either one I’d be overjoyed to see in Canucks’ colours one day. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

D8_yFXCVAAM8aT5.jpg

You have $20, make your roster. 

Decided to build from the back-end out.

Tracey ($2) - Turcotte ($4) - Kayliyev ($3)

Byram ($5) - Korczak ($2)

Knight ($4)

Ps: I'm pretty sure this is the best team possible :emot-parrot:

Edited by cube`

12 minutes ago, jptony604 said:

Im going to be honest and this may not be a very popular choice by many on here but unless the canucks move up to get Byram I really really really hope Podkolzin falls to us and we pick him. I think in the position we are in picking 10th the best chance for us to make a bang in this draft is only Podkolzin or Caufield. If we pick Podkolzin he would be a good fit with Petey and if we pick Caufield maybe would be a good fit with Bo. This is the only way we can make or break in this draft. All the others I just don’t see it. (I’m just talking forwards here) for D if we can’t get Byram would be nice to get another draft pick later in the first to get Soderstorm or Seider. 

Before y’all go nuts hating on my opinion just know that I’m just as much if not more of a canucks fan than you. When my family immigrated to Canada in 93’ the fist thing I saw on tv in our motel room (because our home wasn't ready to move in for few days) was a Canucks game. The first time I went to kindergarten the canucks were in the cup finals and buzz around me (when I couldn’t even understand English) I was just hooked from there on. When our family moved to Alberta in elementary school I was literally the only Canucks fan in my whole town. The ridicule I got from my classmates and my hockey teammates for being a canucks fan was hard to bare haha (but got thru it) lol I paid $7000 dollars for 2 center ice seats to watch game 7 in 2011 and even tho I now live in Asia I still catch at least half the Canucks games a season on my laptop and keep up to date on what’s going on to the team. 

So before u hate please don’t question my knowledge or care for this team. 

Cheers mate! Love hearing the stories of how people became Canucks fans. Thanks for sharing!

I think you're absolutely right in that Caufield and Podkolzin have two of the highest ceilings of the players that could realistically be available for us at 10. However, I don't think those are the only two that could end up being great players for us. I'm personally a big fan of Zegras, Krebs, Newhook, and Boldy as well. I agree with your evaluation of the defensive pool though. The only way I'd like us to come out of the first round with a defenseman is in a trade down scenario. If we could trade down a few spots from 10 and come out with 2 of Seider/Soderstrom/Tomasino/Lavoie/Dorofeyev/Poulin, I would consider that a big win.

• Cheers 1

I'm fine with whoever Jim picks in the first.

Reserve judgement on any picks traded away though.

If it's 'make a wish' though, I'm hoping for an extra 1st we don't have to trade picks for. Hoping somebody wants one of our cripples for a middle 1st rounder. Hey...I can dream.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jptony604 said:

Im going to be honest and this may not be a very popular choice by many on here but unless the canucks move up to get Byram I really really really hope Podkolzin falls to us and we pick him. I think in the position we are in picking 10th the best chance for us to make a bang in this draft is only Podkolzin or Caufield. If we pick Podkolzin he would be a good fit with Petey and if we pick Caufield maybe would be a good fit with Bo. This is the only way we can make or break in this draft. All the others I just don’t see it. (I’m just talking forwards here) for D if we can’t get Byram would be nice to get another draft pick later in the first to get Soderstorm or Seider. 

Before y’all go nuts hating on my opinion just know that I’m just as much if not more of a canucks fan than you. When my family immigrated to Canada in 93’ the fist thing I saw on tv in our motel room (because our home wasn't ready to move in for few days) was a Canucks game. The first time I went to kindergarten the canucks were in the cup finals and buzz around me (when I couldn’t even understand English) I was just hooked from there on. When our family moved to Alberta in elementary school I was literally the only Canucks fan in my whole town. The ridicule I got from my classmates and my hockey teammates for being a canucks fan was hard to bare haha (but got thru it) lol I paid $7000 dollars for 2 center ice seats to watch game 7 in 2011 and even tho I now live in Asia I still catch at least half the Canucks games a season on my laptop and keep up to date on what’s going on to the team. 

So before u hate please don’t question my knowledge or care for this team. 

why do you feel you have to defend your opinion to that extent?

this whole board is just people sharing their opinions.

people disagree which is what creates more discussion. 

Like my opinion is Podkolzin and Caufield are not the only forwards who are going to be players. Both guys have lots of risk attached to them and most likely won’t be available at our pick.

we are probably going to be getting one of:

Zegras/Krebs/Newhook/Boldy

which in my opinion is great, but for you, you may wish to brace yourself for disappointment!

Edited by R3aL
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Podkolzin probably will go before we have a shot. Seems he’s getting the word out he wants to play in the NHL , but just wants to honour his contract. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-draft-profile-of-russian-forward-vasili-podkolzin/c-307793182

Reminds me of Bo, but a better scorer.  Has the same motor and non stop drive to the net.  I could see a Pearson - Bo - Pod line being very hard to contain for the opposition and quite intimidating as they barrel down the ice towards the o-zone.  In a 3-4 years, that line could easily be a first line in the NHL.

I would rather a playmaking LW on Pete's line (a guy like Zuccerello, but with size (actually, I'd love it if the Nucks signed Zuc to a 3yr contract, which gives them time to find/develop a younger and more physical player who plays a similar game).  I think this would take the pressure off Pete to feed Boes and would allow him to focus on shooting the puck.  Of course, he would still be a setup guy whenever a linemate was in position to take a better shot.

11 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I'd probably go for Tracey over Foote for $2 and Caulfield over Pod for $4. Those are the C/D/G I'd take though.

I just wanted to keep some size on the F lines.  I think Pod will be better than Caufield but it could be close.

I like Podkolzin. Lots has been made of the 'Russian factor' on here, but I dont see that as the big issue. Hes made it clear he wants to play in the NHL & the timeline isnt a mystery. 

If you draft him you go into it knowing he likely won't be here for 2 years. And to me thats not a reason to pass on a player at #10, the other guys (Newhook, Zegras, exc) probably wont be impact players within 2 years either.

I dont think he's 'boom or bust'. He'll be an NHL player, he plays a heavy game, hes a hardworker & strong defensive player.

The real question with Pod is whats his offensive upside. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 3rdGenCanuck said:

Cheers mate! Love hearing the stories of how people became Canucks fans. Thanks for sharing!

I think you're absolutely right in that Caufield and Podkolzin have two of the highest ceilings of the players that could realistically be available for us at 10. However, I don't think those are the only two that could end up being great players for us. I'm personally a big fan of Zegras, Krebs, Newhook, and Boldy as well. I agree with your evaluation of the defensive pool though. The only way I'd like us to come out of the first round with a defenseman is in a trade down scenario. If we could trade down a few spots from 10 and come out with 2 of Seider/Soderstrom/Tomasino/Lavoie/Dorofeyev/Poulin, I would consider that a big win.

I’m a bit scared of boldy and zegras 

29 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I like Podkolzin. Lots has been made of the 'Russian factor' on here, but I dont see that as the big issue. Hes made it clear he wants to play in the NHL & the timeline isnt a mystery. 

If you draft him you go into it knowing he likely won't be here for 2 years. And to me thats not a reason to pass on a player at #10, the other guys (Newhook, Zegras, exc) probably wont be impact players within 2 years either.

I dont think he's 'boom or bust'. He'll be an NHL player, he plays a heavy game, hes a hardworker & strong defensive player.

The real question with Pod is whats his offensive upside. 

Well he sure has a great shot; quick release, one-timer and great hustle in the o-zone.  There are factors in his stats that explain his questionable numbers on 2 adult teams + and a Jr league team in the beginning of the season (a link that I posted a couple of days ago).  He certainly played well against the international Jr competition.

As you have stated, his floor is certainly a hard working power forward who is a good skater and plays a strong defensive game.  I think at the very least he gets 30pts.  Even at that, he would look outstanding on Bo's line; especially if they required to go up against the opposing team's 1st line.

His ceiling could be one of the highest in the draft.  With his skill set, along with scoring potential, he automatically turns Bo's line into an NHL 1st line.  Very intimidating and hard to play against.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I have a question for you all

5 1st round prospects, all equal in talent, and all play different positions...…...LHD, RHD, LW, C, RW

Which one do we pick this year? Remember, they all have basically the same value.

RHD

• Upvote 2