The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Sabres trade Ryan O'Reilly to Blues for Patrik Berglund, Vladimir Sobotka, Tage Thompson, 2019 1st-round pick, 2021 2nd-round pick

1 minute ago, Knucks16 said:

What you talking bout! Lolol Maple Leafs won hahahaha! By a Landslide;)

They lost Bozak, Komarov, Plekanec, Polak and JVR, and the D is still pretty bad. Nice that they've got Tavares, any guesses on when Matthews demands a trade? 

26 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

They lost Bozak, Komarov, Plekanec, Polak and JVR, and the D is still pretty bad. Nice that they've got Tavares, any guesses on when Matthews demands a trade? 

I think a lot of people are forgetting how badly the Leafs D was last year.   

• Upvote 3

Just now, Master Mind said:

People saying STL did well here... I must be the only one that thinks they overpaid.

Nope, I am with you a bit here but largely due to the picks involved and the clarity to the entire league that O'Reilly wanted out and had grown used to "losing".   

1 minute ago, Master Mind said:

People saying STL did well here... I must be the only one that thinks they overpaid.

I think this is a classic quantity over quality deal by the Blues, ala "CDC proposal style." Berglund and Sobotka are useful depth players, but you know what you get out of them, and Thompson wasn't even a top 5 prospect for them I don't think. I don't think the Sabres got robbed, but I know a lot of Blues fans are probably happy they didn't have to give up Kryou, Thomas, or Klim.

• Upvote 2

Ryan O'reilly is an upgrade for a good St. Louis squad, and they didn't have to give up anything terrible roster wise to get him.  The futures are the futures, but the prospect pool stays in place, and has some hot names in it as well.  Sure hope Buffalo can draft out of the top 10, because if they can't, they lost this trade.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Nope, I am with you a bit here but largely due to the picks involved and the clarity to the entire league that O'Reilly wanted out and had grown used to "losing".   

The picks definitely put it over the top. Take them out, at least the 1st, and I'd say that's a good deal.

2 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

I think this is a classic quantity over quality deal by the Blues, ala "CDC proposal style." Berglund and Sobotka are useful depth players, but you know what you get out of them, and Thompson wasn't even a top 5 prospect for them I don't think. I don't think the Sabres got robbed, but I know a lot of Blues fans are probably happy they didn't have to give up Kryou, Thomas, or Klim.

Fair but not as bad as CDC ones where it's just our spare parts for a high end player. Thompson is a recent 1st, so almost 2 1sts, a 2nd, and some quality middle six players just for a #2 centre.

Buffalo wins this trade for me but this seems like a trade where both teams get what they want. Buffalo can likely flip Berglund and Sobotka for more assets at the deadline or sooner and gets likely a mid to late 1st and 2nd. St. Louis makes the cap work, frees up a couple contract spots and gets a piece that'll help them towards their goal going forward. O'Reilly isn't a #1 but he's a great #2.

Edited by Coconuts

Bozak replaces Berglund, Sobotka is easily replaceable given his salary. Thompson is a decent depth prospect but with just 23 points in 56 AHL games I doubt he becomes more than a bottom 6 player. A late first and late second is not bad for a fringe first line centre who is 27, plays a solid two-way game, and is under contract for 4 more seasons. We see good UFA players haul nearly as much at the deadline. 

Not a terrible trade for Buffalo by any stretch. This is a win-win at least as of now. 

Edited by canucklehead44
  • Upvote 2