Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread


RUPERTKBD
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Gnarcore said:

If that country happens to be Australia.

















Joking bud ;)   

My society has many things to be ashamed of.

Our treatment of refugees/asylum seekers,our soldiers actions in Afghanistan,our nutjob politicians, to name some.

I bring these things up on this board.

 

There are a lot of good Australians too.

 

I do believe Canadian society is somewhat more enlightened than ours.

  • Huggy Bear 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ilunga said:

My society has many things to be ashamed of.

Our treatment of refugees/asylum seekers,our soldiers actions in Afghanistan,our nutjob politicians, to name some.

I bring these things up on this board.

 

There are a lot of good Australians too.

 

I do believe Canadian society is somewhat more enlightened than ours.

My gag was on how they behave in Whistler. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

My gag was on how they behave in Whistler. 

Got a few of my friends who live there that are goood people.  

 

Do you know Steve Mathews who tunes MTB shocks.

Really good friend of of mine and a great guy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

My society has many things to be ashamed of.

Our treatment of refugees/asylum seekers,our soldiers actions in Afghanistan,our nutjob politicians, to name some.

I bring these things up on this board.

 

There are a lot of good Australians too.

 

I do believe Canadian society is somewhat more enlightened than ours.

We have are bad people here too.  Seems like it’s about 15% of the total.  

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We have are bad people here too.  Seems like it’s about 15% of the total.  

There are good, bad and everything in between in every group of people on this planet.

However some societies  are more enlightened  than others.

Yours is one of those.

Edited by Ilunga
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

Got a few of my friends who live there that are goood people.  

 

Do you know Steve Mathews who tunes MTB shocks.

Really good friend of of mine and a great guy.

Nope. If he worked on dirt bikes I'd know him though. A few of my good friends here are Aussies as well ;)

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Nope. If he worked on dirt bikes I'd know him though. A few of my good friends here are Aussies as well ;)

 

 

Surprised you don't MTB. 

You live in MTB heaven.

 

Grew up riding dirt bikes and moved on to gravity.

Got a Kawasaki  450 still though and a triumph roadie.

Even though I am old now I am still very fit and more importantly very driven.

 

Riding pow is still the best feeling I have ever experienced.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Surprised you don't MTB. 

You live in MTB heaven.

 

Grew up riding dirt bikes and moved on to gravity.

Got a Kawasaki  450 still though and a triumph roadie.

Even though I am old now I am still very fit and more importantly very driven.

 

Riding pow is still the best feeling I have ever experienced.

 

 

MTB never appealed to me much. I skateboarded until early 30s which with dirtbiking was my summer go to. Golf joined it for awhile but a car accident made it not as fun on the neck.  I was a 5 handicap at the time. The bike park is a crowded mess of &^@#wads. I hate lines and stopped riding my snowboard due to how crowded it is these days.

I have a 350 Husky 2 stroke, Honda 250l dual sport, BMW 850gs and 93 Virago 1100 cruiser. Up next will be some sort of touring cruiser while I turn the Virago into a rat style bike. The BWM will be sold next spring. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Mass school shooting -Russian University:   6 dead 28 injured

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/shooting-at-russian-university-leaves-6-dead-28-hurt/ar-AAOCNXb?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

 

MOSCOW (AP) — A student opened fire Monday at a university in Russia, leaving six people dead and 28 hurt, before being shot by police and detained, officials said.

 

Beyond saying that he was a student, authorities offered no further information on his identity or possible motive.

During the attack, students and staff at Perm State University locked themselves in rooms, and video posted on Russian news sites showed some students jumping out of second-story windows.

In some footage, a black-clad, helmeted figure could be seen striding on a campus sidewalk cradling a long-barreled weapon. Russia’s Investigative Committee, the country's top body for criminal probes, said the gunman fired a smoothbore hunting weapon. That could indicate he used a shotgun.

The Investigative Committee said six people were killed, revising down its earlier figure of eight dead. No explanation was given for the change.

A traffic police unit was the first to reach the scene, and the suspect opened fire on them, according to the Interior Ministry. He was wounded when police returned fire and then was disarmed, the ministry said. The gunman also was armed with a knife, it said.

Although firearms laws are strict in Russia, many people obtain permits for hunting weapons. News reports cited officials as saying the suspect had a permit for a pump-action shotgun, although it was not clear if it was for the weapon used.

Despite the firearms regulations, mass shootings take place. In May, a gunman opened fire at a school in the city of Kazan, killing seven students and two teachers, with a registered weapon. A student at a college in Russia-annexed Crimea killed 20 students and himself in 2018.

The university, which has 12,000 students enrolled, said about 3,000 people were on the campus at the time of the shooting. The school is in the city of Perm, which is about 1,100 kilometers (700 miles) east of Moscow with a population of about 1 million.

The Investigative Committee said 28 people were injured, some of them hospitalized, but did not give details. The Health Ministry said 19 of them were shot; it was not clear how the others were injured.

Jim Heintz, The Associated Press

  • Sad 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

Mass school shooting -Russian University:   6 dead 28 injured

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/shooting-at-russian-university-leaves-6-dead-28-hurt/ar-AAOCNXb?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

 

MOSCOW (AP) — A student opened fire Monday at a university in Russia, leaving six people dead and 28 hurt, before being shot by police and detained, officials said.

 

Beyond saying that he was a student, authorities offered no further information on his identity or possible motive.

During the attack, students and staff at Perm State University locked themselves in rooms, and video posted on Russian news sites showed some students jumping out of second-story windows.

In some footage, a black-clad, helmeted figure could be seen striding on a campus sidewalk cradling a long-barreled weapon. Russia’s Investigative Committee, the country's top body for criminal probes, said the gunman fired a smoothbore hunting weapon. That could indicate he used a shotgun.

The Investigative Committee said six people were killed, revising down its earlier figure of eight dead. No explanation was given for the change.

A traffic police unit was the first to reach the scene, and the suspect opened fire on them, according to the Interior Ministry. He was wounded when police returned fire and then was disarmed, the ministry said. The gunman also was armed with a knife, it said.

Although firearms laws are strict in Russia, many people obtain permits for hunting weapons. News reports cited officials as saying the suspect had a permit for a pump-action shotgun, although it was not clear if it was for the weapon used.

Despite the firearms regulations, mass shootings take place. In May, a gunman opened fire at a school in the city of Kazan, killing seven students and two teachers, with a registered weapon. A student at a college in Russia-annexed Crimea killed 20 students and himself in 2018.

The university, which has 12,000 students enrolled, said about 3,000 people were on the campus at the time of the shooting. The school is in the city of Perm, which is about 1,100 kilometers (700 miles) east of Moscow with a population of about 1 million.

The Investigative Committee said 28 people were injured, some of them hospitalized, but did not give details. The Health Ministry said 19 of them were shot; it was not clear how the others were injured.

Jim Heintz, The Associated Press

Reading this article it seems to be several of these school shooting in Russia are acts of terrorists?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Reading this article it seems to be several of these school shooting in Russia are acts of terrorists?  

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

 

8 minutes ago, gurn said:

A student at a college in Russia-annexed Crimea killed 20 students and himself in 2018.

It would take more looking, but perhaps this ^^^shooting^^^  was about Russia taking a country by force.?

  • Huggy Bear 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Reading this article it seems to be several of these school shooting in Russia are acts of terrorists?  

I remember reading about the mass shooting in a theatre a few years ago.  

There was no delay, no concerns about the people in the theatre, tactical team went in and took out the shooter without delay or much concern for collateral damage.

Seemed very much a shut this down with extreme prejudice kind of response.

  • Huggy Bear 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, gurn said:

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

 

It would take more looking, but perhaps this ^^^shooting^^^  was about Russia taking a country by force.?

I read this stuff about school shootings, and can't help but wonder what the heck those idiots in Salmon Arm were thinking entering the schools there in their protest last week?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I read this stuff about school shootings, and can't help but wonder what the heck those idiots in Salmon Arm were thinking entering the schools there in their protest last week?

I'm fairly sure those morons in Salmon Arm, can't think. Lucky they didn't get shot; the content of a 911 call can save your life.

" 911, state your emergency"

"HI, principal at Salmon Arm Elementary here; we have some anti vaxx protesters entering our building without permission".

911 "Ok we will send a couple of constables to clear the building"

or

"911, state your emergency"

" There are armed people trying to get into the school"

" SWAT is on the way, hide until they neutralize the threat".

  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

@Canuck Surfer @Ilunga

 

I understand an earthquake has hit in your part of the world. Hope everything is okay brothers...

Cheers brother.

 

I heard about it on the radio as I was driving back to the farm from my girls place.

A friend told me in the bakery it was pretty full on,cups shaking things falling from the shelves.

 

Apparently magnitude 6 they stated.

  • Huggy Bear 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Cheers brother.

 

I heard about it on the radio as I was driving back to the farm from my girls place.

A friend told me in the bakery it was pretty full on,cups shaking things falling from the shelves.

 

Apparently magnitude 6 they stated.

Didn’t think Australia was in a ‘fault line’?  As such aren’t earthquakes pretty rare there?

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/20/2021 at 10:22 AM, DrJockitch said:

I remember reading about the mass shooting in a theatre a few years ago.  

There was no delay, no concerns about the people in the theatre, tactical team went in and took out the shooter without delay or much concern for collateral damage.

Seemed very much a shut this down with extreme prejudice kind of response.

When Chechens took hostage in Moscow's Dubravka theater years ago.

Alfa special forces stormed the theater but prior to it they pumped it with the nerve gas.

They killed about 40 terrorists but also 130 plus hostages.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/4/2021 at 5:45 PM, Ilunga said:

My society has many things to be ashamed of.

Our treatment of refugees/asylum seekers,our soldiers actions in Afghanistan,our nutjob politicians, to name some.

I bring these things up on this board.

 

There are a lot of good Australians too.

 

I do believe Canadian society is somewhat more enlightened than ours.

Almost every country has done shameful things in the past.

Western society is more enlightened so citizens talk about it more.

 

Having lived in several countries I realize that people for the most part are the same no matter where you go.

Same $&!# just different color and smell.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Didn’t think Australia was in a ‘fault line’?  As such aren’t earthquakes pretty rare there?

Yep.

 

Last one was about 8 years ago.

It was full on,I have never experienced a "natural " sound like it.

 

Was like a huge jet landing in the lounge room.

Whole house shook few things broke.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...