The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

It’s mind boggling that none of these people called the police.

I get it’s dangerous to get involved but come on, dial 911!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/passengers-who-did-not-intervene-in-sexual-assault-on-train-could-face-charges-report/ar-AAPHSKx?li=BBnbfcL

This is not all that unusual, there is a mental/psychology thing at work.

Everybody thinks someone else will obviously  do something or call the cops, so nobody does.

37 minutes ago, gurn said:

This is not all that unusual, there is a mental/psychology thing at work.

Everybody thinks someone else will obviously  do something or call the cops, so nobody does.

At least put the phone down instead of filming this assault.

• Upvote 1

Angela Merkel, German Chancellor, with her final EU Summit today. 16 years political leader in Germany, one of the most powerful politicians over the last two decades will resign in a few weeks. Thank you for your dedication and hard work and for pursueing the vision of a united europe.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Facebook changes corporate name to Meta

Thu 28 Oct 2021 18:21:41 GMT

Meta will better reflect the companies brand

Facebook will change its corporate name to Meta. 

The name change will better reflect the company's brand according to Mark Zuckerberg.  The main social media and network will keep the Facebook name.  

Same sh**, different pile.

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

Facebook changes corporate name to Meta

Thu 28 Oct 2021 18:21:41 GMT

Meta will better reflect the companies brand

Facebook will change its corporate name to Meta. 

The name change will better reflect the company's brand according to Mark Zuckerberg.  The main social media and network will keep the Facebook name.  

Same sh**, different pile.

In other news.....I hear that Tucker Carlson is thinking about changing his name to Walter Cronkite.....

• Haha 1

Man Explains How $150 Six Flags Annual Pass Helped Him Pay Off Student Loans

A 33-year-old electrical engineer from Santa Clarita, California has revealed how his $150 annual Six Flags Magic Mountain pass helped him pay off his student loans.

In an interview with Mel Magazine, the 33-year-old who goes by Dylan said that he took full advantage of the pass, which entitled him to multiple meals per day all year round. “You can pay around $150 for unlimited, year-round access to Six Flags, which includes parking and two meals a day,” he explained. “If you time it right, you could eat both lunch and dinner there every day.”

He utilized the pass in order to pay off the student loan debt he had accumulated, get married, and buy a home in Los Angeles. As part of the annual pass, the theme park offers guests the opportunity to get lunch and dinner items alongside unlimited drinks on any day the park is open. He said he was inspired to go through with the idea when he was working an internship back in 2014, with a Six Flags just a five-minute drive away from the office that he was working in.

“That entire first year, I don’t think I ever went to the grocery store,” he added. “I timed it so I was able to go there during my lunch break, go back to work, then stop back for dinner on my way home. ... It was crazy—I was saving money, paying off student loans. One of my coworkers said she spent $1,500 a month on eating out, I was like, ‘Yeah, I’m not going down that road!’”

For the most part, the food items at Six Flags aren’t exactly healthy, so he’s cut down on his intake these days. After seven years of saving with his Six Flags trips, he said he’s since bought a house in the nearby area. “I’m not really going anywhere,” he said. “As long as they keep changing the menu, I’m happy.”

I trust he had health insurance through his employer? Otherwise this is brilliant.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Man Explains How $150 Six Flags Annual Pass Helped Him Pay Off Student Loans

A 33-year-old electrical engineer from Santa Clarita, California has revealed how his $150 annual Six Flags Magic Mountain pass helped him pay off his student loans.

In an interview with Mel Magazine, the 33-year-old who goes by Dylan said that he took full advantage of the pass, which entitled him to multiple meals per day all year round. “You can pay around $150 for unlimited, year-round access to Six Flags, which includes parking and two meals a day,” he explained. “If you time it right, you could eat both lunch and dinner there every day.”

He utilized the pass in order to pay off the student loan debt he had accumulated, get married, and buy a home in Los Angeles. As part of the annual pass, the theme park offers guests the opportunity to get lunch and dinner items alongside unlimited drinks on any day the park is open. He said he was inspired to go through with the idea when he was working an internship back in 2014, with a Six Flags just a five-minute drive away from the office that he was working in.

“That entire first year, I don’t think I ever went to the grocery store,” he added. “I timed it so I was able to go there during my lunch break, go back to work, then stop back for dinner on my way home. ... It was crazy—I was saving money, paying off student loans. One of my coworkers said she spent $1,500 a month on eating out, I was like, ‘Yeah, I’m not going down that road!’”

For the most part, the food items at Six Flags aren’t exactly healthy, so he’s cut down on his intake these days. After seven years of saving with his Six Flags trips, he said he’s since bought a house in the nearby area. “I’m not really going anywhere,” he said. “As long as they keep changing the menu, I’m happy.”

I trust he had health insurance through his employer? Otherwise this is brilliant.

Unlimited food glitch.

He also gets entertainment every day if he wanted to go on the rides.

Elon Musk offers to sell Tesla stock if UN shows how US$6 billion can solve world hunger

Elon Musk, the richest person in the world, says he will sell US$6 billion worth of Tesla stock and donate the proceeds to the United Nations' food agency if it could show how the money would solve world hunger.

His statement came after UN World Food Programme Executive Director David Beasley challenged Musk, Amazon founder Jeff Bezos and other billionaires in a CNN interview last week, calling on them to step up on “a one-time basis” to help end starvation.

In the interview, Beasley said billionaires could give ”$6 billion to help 42 million people that are literally going to die if we don't reach them.“

“It's not complicated,” he said.

That money would be approximately 2% of Musk's fortune, nearly $300 billion, according to Forbes. His wealth and the wealth of many American multi-billionaires has grown quickly during the COVID-19 pandemic, thanks to increased stock and home equity, even more than before the virus struck.

The SpaceX founder posted Sunday on Twitter: “If WFP can describe on this Twitter thread exactly how $6B will solve world hunger, I will sell Tesla stock right now and do it.”

“But it must be open source accounting, so the public sees precisely how the money is spent,” he added.

In 2020, the agency received $8.4 billion in donations, which it says was $5.3 billion short of its requirements. Its top donors include the United States, Germany and the United Kingdom.

Beasley responded to Musk on Twitter, writing $6 billion will not solve world hunger, “but it WILL prevent geopolitical instability, mass migration and save 42 million people on the brink of starvation. An unprecedented crisis and a perfect storm due to Covid/conflict/climate crises.”

He also offered to meet with Musk to discuss the topic.

“Please publish your current & proposed spending in detail so people can see exactly where money goes,” Musk said in a Twitter reply. “Sunlight is a wonderful thing.”

It remained unclear Monday whether a meeting will be set.

24 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/06/us/houston-astroworld-festival/index.html

At least 8 dead and many injured after crowd surge at Travis Scott's Astroworld Festival in Houston, officials say

Here is a firsthand account from someone in the middle of the tragedy, very terrifying! Make sure and scroll through the 5 pages. 

There is also video verifying part of her account where she is ignored by the camera crew when she is trying to get them to stop the show.

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

2021 and people still get trampled to death at concerts.

2021 and people still get shot accidentally on movie sets

2021 and people still won't believe the facts about vaccines

2021 and people still get killed by cars that are built to do more than 75 miles per hour.

The human species can be extremely slow learners.

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

image.png.f5052c7c0e4f1440f725a31a7633e2e4.png

They have max capacity for a reason. Travis Scott was encouraging people to sneak in and 11 people died from being trampled on. What a horrible death...

I smell a class action suit brought against this guy by the families of those who died.  He will be left penniless, which iit sounds like he deserves if he was encouraging overcrowding.  

• Upvote 1

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/travis-scott-long-history-encouraging-182911307.html

"

In August 2015, Scott was charged with disorderly conduct after police said he urged fans to climb over barricades at Chicago’s Lollapalooza and led a chant of “We want rage.” The scene became so chaotic that officers attempted to detain Scott during his performance and he briefly fled the scene. Scott pleaded guilty to reckless conduct charges and was ordered under court supervision.

Scott faced similar charges in May 2017 after encouraging fans to join him on stage during a concert in Fayetteville, Arkansas. Several people, including a police officer and a security guard, were injured in the rush to the stage, and Scott later pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct.

Also in 2017, a 23-year-old man named Kyle Green was seriously injured during Scott’s concert at Terminal 5 in New York City. Green said the was pushed off a balcony after the rapper encouraged his fans to jump. He suffered a fractured vertebrae that left him partially paralyzed, but before being treated for his injuries, he was taken to the front of the stage where Scott marveled at his “fearlessness.” Months after the incident, Green filed a lawsuit against Scott.

Over the years, Scott has also glorified images and videos of his fans crashing security gates in order to gain access into his concerts. At least one of those posts — a Tweet from May 2021 in which he wrote, “We still sneaking the wild ones in. !!!!” — was deleted sometime in the last few hours.

Another Instagram post from November 2019 features video of fans jumping over barricades. “DA YOUTH DEM CONTROL THE FREQUENCY,” Scott wrote in an accompanying caption. “EVERYONE HAVE FUN. RAGERS SET TONE WHEN I COME OUT TONIGHT. BE SAFE RAGE HARD. AHHHHHHHHHHH”

Similar scenes of fans unlawfully rushing through security gates occurred at Astroworld earlier on Friday. Hundreds of people appeared to gain access into the festival before police and security personnel were able to gain control of the situation.

Some individuals who were present for Scott’s Astroworld performance recounted a dangerous scene in the crowd hours before he even took the stage. “We stood there for two hours, as did every other person. Every gap was filled, where your feet were place was where they stayed,” wrote one attendee on Instagram. Once the concert began, “We began to scream to help. We could see security, just a few people away, in the walkway in the middle. It got tighter. Impossible to breath, as our lungs were compressed between the bodies of those surrounding us. More people began screaming for help, but we were not heard. There was nowhere to go.”

It’s unclear how aware Scott was of the situation during his performance. In one video, he appears to notice an unconscious fan being carried out by pandemics, but continues to sing. However, at another point, Scott briefly stopped the show so that another unconscious fan could receive medical attention.

In another video, Scott notes the presence of an ambulance in the crowd. But rather than ask the crowd to clear out of the way, Scott said, “I want to see some ragers.” Some fans were later seen jumping on top of the ambulance.

In a statement released Saturday, Scott said he was “absolutely devastated by what took pace last night. My prayers go out to the families and all of those impacted by what happened at Astroworld Festival.” He added, “Houston PD has my total support as they continue to look into the tragic loss of life. I am committed to working together with  the Houston community to heal and support the families in need.”

Consequence has reached out to Scott’s representatives, as well as the organizers of Astroworld for additional comment.

• Cheers 1

I’ll start this off with a confession…when I first heard this story I assumed Travis Scott and Texas meant this was a country western act. Yes I’m old and it’s not particularly my kind of music, so pardon my ignorance.

Now after seeing clips from several of his shows with him encouraging fans to rush the stage, telling fans to sneak in or push over security fencing; stopping a show to call some fans fa**ots, urging the crowd to “fu** him up” after pointing out a kid he accused of trying to steal his shoe, then spitting on him. Can someone please explain to me what some 9 year old kids are doing on the floor at this show?