The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Would you make this trade?

Trade  

99 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

Pettersson

Hughes

Boeser

For 

McDavid

Let's say the Oilers call and offer us McDavid for those 3, would you do it? Personally I wouldn't. Yes McDavid is a freaking animal, but I also think these 3 guys are going to be ELITE talent, and I don't think Pettersson will be far behind McDavid in point production in their primes.

Some may call me crazy, others will see my side. So what would you do?

Zero chance I do this. Pettersson could end up being darn near as good as mcdavid by himself. Adding in a future high level high scoring 1st line winger and a high upside dman would be bad. Gut our team for no reason.

This would be a god awful trade for the canucks imo.

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I see it as someone who takes purposefully targeting subjects that are intended to demonstrate how the subject team is of lesser caliber in as many ways as possible.  Make extreme comparisons of players to HHOF and similar and then sit back and watch the chatter.   

That is one very low-level form of trolling.    Tell you what, go to the Oilers board and ask them to package up all their best young players for Matthews as an ask or see if comparing Bouchard to Orr is a worthy discussion.     How about Lucic with Ovie?   Draisaitl with Messier?     

You want discussion, join in many of the existing threads versus creating a new one every day or two of the same nature.    Just a suggestion - am sure you will continue on your journey otherwise.

Enjoy.   :lol:

I'm simply asking a question, sorry your so butt hurt over it

And no I didn't suggest doing it, go look at votes and read OP, I specifically said I wouldn't do it and wanted to know if others would. I think it's a perfectly viable question. You can twist my words all you want. Didn't know asking a legit question was trolling. I forgot some people are just too sensitive, sorry to upset you, truly.

And I'm not the first to compare Hughes to Orr, his coach is the one that did and his play also shows it. Again if you read that OP I stated they are comparables and wasn't saying they would become as good as said players.

It all comes down to the fact that you are butt hurt I make so many topics so you try to make me look like a troll, tbh it's sad you stoop to such a level over something so simple. Either your trolling me, or you simply can't read

1 minute ago, Brock Botanen said:

I'm simply asking a question, sorry your so butt hurt over it

And no I didn't suggest doing it, go look at votes and read OP, I specifically said I wouldn't do it and wanted to know if others would. I think it's a perfectly viable question. You can twist my words all you want. Didn't know asking a legit question was trolling. I forgot some people are just too sensitive, sorry to upset you, truly.

And I'm not the first to compare Hughes to Orr, his coach is the one that did and his play also shows it. Again if you read that OP I stated they are comparables and wasn't saying they would become as good as said players.

It all comes down to the fact that you are butt hurt I make so many topics so you try to make me look like a troll, tbh it's sad you stoop to such a level over something so simple. Either your trolling me, or you simply can't read

LOL.    I haven't hurt the BH term since elementary school.    

Sigh, summer vacation time is so apparently in CDC.    :lol:

4 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Zero chance I do this. Pettersson could end up being darn near as good as mcdavid by himself. Adding in a future high level high scoring 1st line winger and a high upside dman would be bad. Gut our team for no reason.

This would be a god awful trade for the canucks imo.

but, but....no, it is a great trade.   You could flip McDavid for two elite forwards and perhaps even a Dman.   Think of it - three top line players potentially for one....you do that.   

42 minutes ago, Abysmal Moniker said:

Remember the Lindros trade?

To Flyers: Lindros

To Nordiques/ Avalanche: Steve Duchesne, Peter Forsberg, Ron Hextall, Mike Ricci, Kerry Huffman, 2 first round picks + $15 million.

How'd that work out?

FORP166021.jpg?v=1530052143

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

So did Marcel Dionne.  Unless McDavid does like Yzerman (and other great centres) and learn to play as hard without the puck, as with it, he will win no Cups.  

McDavid is 21 years old man...

McDavid averages about 1.23 ppg.

Boeser despite his short season averages 0.845 ppg.

I can see Pettersson in his career being Eichel level, not McDavid level (0.847 ppg)

Hughes is a defenceman so its hard to compare him to McDavid but lets say Hughes can be a solid 2 way dman, while averaging about 0.5 ppg in his career. 

Personally, I could swing both ways for this trade. The inner gut in me says decline this trade all the way. But there is the part of where player can average more then a ppg by himself, thus improving the stats of his teammates automatically.

Now in terms of Salary McDavid costs the Oilers 12.5 million.

Lets say Boeser gets 7 million, Pettersson can perform at an Eichel level (10 million). Hughes could get 4 to 6 million on his next contract if he plays great in his rookie seasons.

Would you rather pay 1 person 12.5 million or pay 3 people 21 million? In this question I can say both ways.

Just now, PunjabiCanucks said:

McDavid averages about 1.23 ppg.

Boeser despite his short season averages 0.845 ppg.

I can see Pettersson in his career being Eichel level, not McDavid level (0.847 ppg)

Hughes is a defenceman so its hard to compare him to McDavid but lets say Hughes can be a solid 2 way dman, while averaging about 0.5 ppg in his career. 

Personally, I could swing both ways for this trade. The inner gut in me says decline this trade all the way. But there is the part of where player can average more then a ppg by himself, thus improving the stats of his teammates automatically.

Now in terms of Salary McDavid costs the Oilers 12.5 million.

Lets say Boeser gets 7 million, Pettersson can perform at an Eichel level (10 million). Hughes could get 4 to 6 million on his next contract if he plays great in his rookie seasons.

Would you rather pay 1 person 12.5 million or pay 3 people 21 million? In this question I can say both ways.

Regardless, one player does not make an NHL team a cup winner. It takes luck, and great defence and goaltending to win imo.

We are building a silent winner (hopefully a cup winner) through the draft. We have Pettersson who could be Eichel level, a great 2 way center in Horvat. A 40g if not 35 goal scorer in Boeser. Virtanen who if improves could be a big body, speedy hitter who could put up 40 to 50 points seasons if given the opportunity. Factor in Lind/ Dahlen/ Gaudette. Hughes + Joulevi are possible top 4 dman, add in Tryamkin if he returns. Demko could be a starter in 2 years, but we need to continue to acquire picks and make sure our defence is solid.

In 3 to 5 years we are playoff material.

24 minutes ago, Odd. said:

McDavid is 21 years old man...

And Dionne is 70.  What’s the point?

McDavid needs to commit to play both sides of the puck with equal effort, or he’s never going to lead a team to a Cup.  

6 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

Pettersson

Hughes

Boeser

For 

McDavid

Let's say the Oilers call and offer us McDavid for those 3, would you do it? Personally I wouldn't. Yes McDavid is a freaking animal, but I also think these 3 guys are going to be ELITE talent, and I don't think Pettersson will be far behind McDavid in point production in their primes.

Some may call me crazy, others will see my side. So what would you do?

Thanks for wasting my time! Easy no from nucks army

If we pull this trigger we may never beat Edmonton in the playoffs. Think about it: Draisatl and the rest of their talent WITH Boeser, Hughes, and Pettersson? Not to mention we'd have less talent then Edmonton has but with McDavid.

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

So did Marcel Dionne.  Unless McDavid does like Yzerman (and other great centres) and learn to play as hard without the puck, as with it, he will win no Cups.  

C'mon Alf...that's weak.  Your hate for the Coilers is well understood and shared, but I think it's clouding your sensibilities (but you're from Melmac? and that makes you my fave alien).

Gretzky hardly backchecked...Brett Hull only knew how to go north...Yvan Cournoyer was the Roadrunner on offence but more like Wile E. Coyote on the backcheck...well you get my point.

Last time I checked, hockey is a team sport and not a single player has ever carried the fortunes of a team entirely on his back.  If the Soilers, Coilers, Spoilers, or whatever you want to call that team from Deadmonton offered up McDavid, you take him.  But the OP is never going to happen, so all this is sort of a waste of space on the world wide web.

Archived