The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes announces his return to Michigan

yippykyeh

35 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Another another key marker in this to consider -- all 4 LHD have expiring contracts:

Edler

MDZ

Hutton

Pouliot

All are in their last year.  We can move MDJZ at the TDL (or sooner) to get Juolevi in, then decide between Hutton and Pouliot to open a spot for Hughes.  That would allow for an extension (short-term, please) for Edler if they desire.  Will still have Sautner, McEneny, and Brisebois available as fill-ins, too.  Then going into next season:

Edler Gudbranson

Hughes Tanev

Juolevi Stecher

100% agree these will be our top six (and their pairings) in October 2019.  Heck, could this be our top six the last 7-10 games of the coming 2018/2019 season?  

I think that Hughes is talented and driven enough that no matter what path he takes he will reach his potential. That being said I think going back to college will help him get there faster. He will have more time to work on his strength and play in a league he is less likely to get injured in. He's a waste on this team this year anyways.

9 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

YEAH!!! It's all Benning's fault that our soon to be star D man could win an NCAA championship, become a Hobey Baker winner, and win a gold in the World Junior Championships!!

Way to go Benning!!  :ph34r:

This is also Benning's fault

Pettersson ..

Most regular season points by a U20 player in SHL history
Led SHL in regular season scoring
Most playoff points by a U20 player in SHL history (single season)
Led SHL in playoff scoring
Stefan Liv Memorial Trophy Winner (Playoff MVP)
SHL Top Forward
SHL Rookie of the Year
SHL MVP
SHL Champion
U20 WJHC Silver Medal
Most goals and point by a junior player

Go Benning Go!

12 hours ago, xereau said:

So weird that he, and the management, put out all signs he was going pro. And then this drops.  On a Saturday morning.  Never believe anything anyone says about anything, until it is right in front of your own face for you to judge yourself.

wait when did they gaurantee he was going to sign and play pro? also that would be wise to wait.

1 hour ago, TNucks1 said:

wait when did they gaurantee he was going to sign and play pro? also that would be wise to wait.

Thursday radio interview, Benning said that they will make room for him, that he is ready.  Quinn said he wants to play in the NHL this season.  Until he didn't..?  Was just a bunch of feel good PR in the end.

49 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Is there any cable package that can be bought to be able to watch quin play 

There should be quite a few Michigan games free streamed on MGoBlueTV. I’d just check the Hughes thread in the Prospects forum once we get to October. Several CDCers are good about providing links to (legal) free streams on game days.

You could also look into a Big Ten Network or BTN2Go package. Otherwise, probably the TV broadcasts will get split between ESPN2/3, NBC Sports, and Fox Sports Detroit, plus TSN and TSN Go tend to have a few games in the spring.

The broadcast schedule isn’t out yet, but once it’s released, I’d imagine the Hughes thread will have all the details.

1 hour ago, smokes said:

Great move now Hughes has an extra year to develop and the Canucks only have to worry about one rookie defender in Juolevi. Interesting how this happens so soon after Linden left. Coincidence?

Are you implying Linden wanted Hughes in the NHL next season?

1 hour ago, Specz said:

Does anyone have access to Michigan's 2018-2019 schedule? I'm sure there are many of you like me who will be following him as closely as the Canucks this year.

That info is available here:

https://mgoblue.com/schedule.aspx?path=mhockey

It’ll be a while yet before the broadcast info is released. But once it is, I’m sure I (and a few others) will be posting game stream/TV links in the Hughes thread in the prospects forum.

Should be fun. I imagine plenty of us will be watching. Don’t know if it’ll quite match the pure joy of the Pettersson thread last year, but I have a feeling Q will do his best to keep CDC’s prospects heads happy.

It looks like Linden wanted Hughes to go back to school. It is also looking like Linden had very little to do with this years UFA crop. Benning has been reporting straight to owners since February.  The best thing about all of this is that the owners are unwittingly making decisions that will keep us at the bottom of the league for years to come. Let's just hope that they keep our draft picks. That way Jim can do the only thing he is good at.

The kids will all be in Utica this year and this club will be in the bottom 5 of the league again.

Jim will bumble along for another season and then will get fired. Owners will find another puppet that they can manipulate. What a disasterous tire fire this will become.

Let's hope they keep the scouting department together as it should function without Jim.

We may never win a cup until this owner group is gone.

4 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Are you implying Linden wanted Hughes in the NHL next season?

Yes, it was Linden who said it wasn't fair to the Sedins to rebuild. He's such a competitor that I would not be surprised if it was him who wanted to fast track the rebuild.

Archived