The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes announces his return to Michigan

yippykyeh

On 2018-07-28 at 9:46 AM, xereau said:

Considering how pathetic the D was at getting pucks on net, moving the puck up the ice, and defending in general, coming in with exactly the same group makes absolutely zero sense.  Where are the try outs?  Where are the EU players?  If the ONLY competition coming in, is Juolevi, where is the pressure to compete for a position going to come from?  This is why it is pathetic.  I was expecting a musical chairs scenario on D, like we did with our forwards for the coming 2 seasons.  The status quo = pathetic.  Like I said.

Pouliot, Stecher and Hutton are all one year older, moving more towards their prime. Gudbranson was hurt a lot last year so a healthy season would do wonders to gain some fans for him. Edler and Tanev will do their thing as usual, again, hopefully barring injuries. Then add Juolevi into the mix as a strong contender to push one of those bottom 4 guys out. 

Someone asked you what you would’ve done to fix up the defence. Any answers for that? Tryouts? EU players? You mean like the Larsen types that we’ve already tried and failed miserably?

1 hour ago, canuckleheads fan said:

I was endlessly amused by the number of posters who put Hughes in the starting lineup this year. It's obvious that he needs at least one, probably two years at the college level. He can round out his game the way that Brock did. He really needs to finish growing and gain at least 15 pounds, or he's going to get folded up and stuffed in the net on every other shift. Hopefully OJ can find a spot on the third pairing, and work up from there. 

If it was obvious, like you stated, I don't believe the Canucks would be even entertaining the idea of trying to sign him.  QH is not a physical player so I don't think he's be caught up in trying to move bigger guys in front of the net.  He's a cerebral player so he'll be playing defensively more with an active stick and positioning.  I believe Girard on Colorado is lighter, and he didn't seem to get folded up and stuffed in the net on every other shift.

1 hour ago, GreyHatnDart said:

Pouliot, Stecher and Hutton are all one year older, moving more towards their prime. Gudbranson was hurt a lot last year so a healthy season would do wonders to gain some fans for him. Edler and Tanev will do their thing as usual, again, hopefully barring injuries. Then add Juolevi into the mix as a strong contender to push one of those bottom 4 guys out. 

Someone asked you what you would’ve done to fix up the defence. Any answers for that? Tryouts? EU players? You mean like the Larsen types that we’ve already tried and failed miserably?

Larsen was one guy.  Doesn't mean they will all fail.  I expected Benning to sign a guy or 2 from college again.  And kick the UFA can, for D, not filler forwards.  Throw a whole bunch of guys against the wall and see what sticks, like we did with the forwards for going on three years.  Again, going with the status quo is disappointing.  And yes, there is nowhere to go but up for several of those we do have.  Which isn't saying a whole lot, but its something positive, however minor.  The D needs to shoot more.   Just get it into the feet of guys in front of the net.  MISSING is better than not shooting at all too.

2 hours ago, xereau said:

Larsen was one guy.  Doesn't mean they will all fail.  I expected Benning to sign a guy or 2 from college again.  And kick the UFA can, for D, not filler forwards.  Throw a whole bunch of guys against the wall and see what sticks, like we did with the forwards for going on three years.  Again, going with the status quo is disappointing.  And yes, there is nowhere to go but up for several of those we do have.  Which isn't saying a whole lot, but its something positive, however minor.  The D needs to shoot more.   Just get it into the feet of guys in front of the net.  MISSING is better than not shooting at all too.

Beagle and Roussel are hardly fillers, but to each their own. I don’t know much about Schaller but a friend of mine is a huge Bruins fan (blasphemy, I know) and says we got a beauty. 

I guess we agree to disagree on the stat quo. Our defence isn’t going to scare anyone but it’s got a nice balance of speed and power. It’s not going to be as awful as you may think. I’d just love to see a mostly healthy D this year. 

I agree the D needs to shoot more but that’s more about coaching than anything else. Everyone playing in the NHL has an at least decent shot or else they wouldn’t be there. 

2 hours ago, Viper007 said:

If it was obvious, like you stated, I don't believe the Canucks would be even entertaining the idea of trying to sign him.  QH is not a physical player so I don't think he's be caught up in trying to move bigger guys in front of the net.  He's a cerebral player so he'll be playing defensively more with an active stick and positioning.  I believe Girard on Colorado is lighter, and he didn't seem to get folded up and stuffed in the net on every other shift.

I'm thinking the Canucks didn't want to burst the fan's bubble that another top draft pick would not be making the team.  I think they may have considered signing him, but then realized how small he was next to full-sized players.  The best place for him to hone his game and finish growing and filling out is in the NCAA, because of the fewer scheduled games and more chance to practice, Hughes can gain the needed weight.  Hughes is one big hit from somebody like Tom Wilson away from a body cast.  Whether or not he's cerebral, he's still going to have to go in the corners and win some battles against full-grown men.  Look at how often Tanev gets rocked and how many games he misses with injuries and he's 25 pounds heavier than Hughes.  Tanev's also not a physical player and plays a cerebral game.  I know he's not the skater that Hughes is, but he's still a good skater.  I've never really watched Girard, so don't know how his puck recovery is, but I can't believe he wins many puck battles.

2 hours ago, canuckleheads fan said:

I'm thinking the Canucks didn't want to burst the fan's bubble that another top draft pick would not be making the team.  I think they may have considered signing him, but then realized how small he was next to full-sized players.  The best place for him to hone his game and finish growing and filling out is in the NCAA, because of the fewer scheduled games and more chance to practice, Hughes can gain the needed weight.  Hughes is one big hit from somebody like Tom Wilson away from a body cast.  Whether or not he's cerebral, he's still going to have to go in the corners and win some battles against full-grown men.  Look at how often Tanev gets rocked and how many games he misses with injuries and he's 25 pounds heavier than Hughes.  Tanev's also not a physical player and plays a cerebral game.  I know he's not the skater that Hughes is, but he's still a good skater.  I've never really watched Girard, so don't know how his puck recovery is, but I can't believe he wins many puck battles.

Size isn't everything. Don't forget that Quinn is fast and agile and can generally skate circles around the opponent. Most defenders don't play in the NHL right after they are drafted and some of those defenders are much larger.

That being said, I do agree with the decision to let him grow in the NCAA for at least one more year, but more for the reason that defenders take longer to develop. Adding a bit more to the frame would help too obviously but I really think the real reason is more general. Too many people on these forums focus on size and weight in my opinion. Often times they'll focus exclusively on size and weight and, to me, that's just not looking at the overall picture. Somehow the rest of the player (the reasons why we have that player) are missing on the back of a milk carton to them it seems.

1 hour ago, jovocop55 said:

i wonder if he will attending the training camp...  i know he wont be playing this season.. but nice if he can get some experience what its like to be a pro

Not allowed under NCAA rules.  And plus his school would have already started by the time training camp starts.

On ‎2018‎-‎07‎-‎28 at 10:23 PM, erkayloomeh said:

Is there any cable package that can be bought to be able to watch quin play 

NCAA Hockey is always available online, I watch it often enough for free.

You should check U of Michigan's homepage to see if you can stream there for free or at a cost....

On 30/07/2018 at 8:16 PM, canuckleheads fan said:

They scouted him, they both saw and interviewed him at the combine. They were fully aware of his size. Even if they had signed him it doesn't mean he'd be in the NHL. They could have sent him to Utica.

On 8/4/2018 at 7:44 PM, Baggins said:

They scouted him, they both saw and interviewed him at the combine. They were fully aware of his size. Even if they had signed him it doesn't mean he'd be in the NHL. They could have sent him to Utica.

I was watching the Canada-US Jr Showcase game. They were talking about Tkachuk and whether he would be heading for college or has a chance to crack the Ottawa lineup. Craig Button though that if he chose to try the NHL and didn't make it, it would be better for his development to go to London, which owns his Jr rights than to the AHL, because the A is a harder league to lay in. If QH is too small for the NHL he is sure as hell too small for the A. He is best in the NCAA where he can eat like a horse, lift weights and improve his defensive game. I will say he was impressive at the Showcase, but that's against other Jr aged players in a mostly hit-free environment. 

15 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

I was watching the Canada-US Jr Showcase game. They were talking about Tkachuk and whether he would be heading for college or has a chance to crack the Ottawa lineup. Craig Button though that if he chose to try the NHL and didn't make it, it would be better for his development to go to London, which owns his Jr rights than to the AHL, because the A is a harder league to lay in. If QH is too small for the NHL he is sure as hell too small for the A. He is best in the NCAA where he can eat like a horse, lift weights and improve his defensive game. I will say he was impressive at the Showcase, but that's against other Jr aged players in a mostly hit-free environment. 

At the same time... having QH within the Canucks system means there will be someone to consistently look after his diet, conditional coaches on-hand to refine his training, skills coaches, sports psychologists, etc.  

While NCAA programs will have very good staff on hand.... the NHL is a multi-billion dollar league with some of the top tiered professionals working for them.  

On ‎2018‎-‎07‎-‎30 at 8:16 PM, canuckleheads fan said:

I don't disagree with the rest of your post. Though using Tanev as a comparable is silly. Tanev is a shut down D who would throw himself on a grenade to get the puck out. Hughes may cough it up occasionally trying to slip a hit but he does far more with the puck than Tanev ever has sure they are both cerebral players but Huges creates goals Tanev prevents them not fair to compare. 

One thing I will say on Hughes is he isn't shy to play through guys coming at him in fact he feeds on guys getting out of position to come at him. 

4 hours ago, canuckleheads fan said:

He did alright in the worlds with other NHL'ers.

https://twitter.com/lukefoxjukebox/status/1026938160326963200

Not sure how to paste a Tweet.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/quick-shifts-quinn-hughes-jack-hughes-vancouver-canucks-norris-trophy-dylan-larkin/

I asked Larkin what Vancouver is getting in Hughes. You may wish to hold onto something solid, Canucks fans.

“The kind of defenceman I love playing with is a good-skating, puck-moving defenceman — and that’s exactly what they’re getting. He could be a Norris Trophy defenceman with his offensive instincts. He’s a great skater; he can skate around anybody. And he’s a great passer. Maybe a Duncan Keith but a better skater.”

40 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

A rich man's Duncan Keith would be acceptable.

Yep. Like it was pointed out though,  larkin is a close friend of his . I remember PK Subban saying that Jordan was going to be the best NHL r out of all the brothers a year or so ago. Not saying Hughes wont be that , but I always take players comments like that with a grain of salt . 

5 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Yep. Like it was pointed out though,  larkin is a close friend of his . I remember PK Subban saying that Jordan was going to be the best NHL r out of all the brothers a year or so ago. Not saying Hughes wont be that , but I always take players comments like that with a grain of salt . 

December 2014. 

https://torontosun.com/2014/12/08/pk-subban-on-brother-jordan-will-be-best-of-us/wcm/839aeed7-2e9b-4de4-a1e5-a9f07ecd708e

Archived