The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ottawa plans to announce new stat holiday

thejazz97

Our Government and the Catholic Church should be ashamed of themselves for what they did to our first nations peoples,the states is pulling the same outrageous type of behavior with taking children away from parents at the borders.

So if we can learn from history and talk about it openly, it is good for mankind in general and maybe these types of behaviors will never be repeated.

I disagree with having more extra stat holiday just because a past government did awful things to First Nations.   It is not a good excuse to create a new statuary holiday, tbh.   We can create a better holiday something better than that.  We do not want to create a memorial for a wrong reason.   Creating a holiday has to be meaningful like Remembrance Day where we remember fallen soldiers for our freedom.     If we ever need to create a new holiday, it has to be a D-Day as it's not a statuary holiday in Canada which would be far better than this.  

So the government might create another stat holiday that employers will have to pay out money on?

How about the government announces, at the same time, all employers will receive a tax break equivalent to the stat days total payroll per company or business?

18 minutes ago, gurn said:

So the government might create another stat holiday that employers will have to pay out money on?

How about the government announces, at the same time, all employers will receive a tax break equivalent to the stat days total payroll per company or business?

Maybe we need business owners from countries like Italy to come over and teach Canadian business owners how to succeed in business while paying high wages and ridiculous benefits packages 

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

This won't be enough.

Next up, changing the flag. I'm sure there's something offensive about the maple leaf.

its not the maple leaf.. its the white between the red

What I find really compelling about this is unlike the initial interactions of colonialism you can go meet people effected by this if you want to, and we have a chance to set some small part of it right with them while they are still here, unlike things that happened hundreds of years ago. To me that seems like a neat opportunity. 

2 hours ago, coolboarder said:

I disagree with having more extra stat holiday just because a past government did awful things to First Nations.   It is not a good excuse to create a new statuary holiday, tbh.   We can create a better holiday something better than that.  We do not want to create a memorial for a wrong reason.   Creating a holiday has to be meaningful like Remembrance Day where we remember fallen soldiers for our freedom.     If we ever need to create a new holiday, it has to be a D-Day as it's not a statuary holiday in Canada which would be far better than this.  

would it help if we made little John A MacDonald decorations for the occasion? 

Instead of having a day to just constantly remind ourselves of the poor decisions of the past, why not just simply have the new holiday as a celebration of Aboriginal cultures, achievements, etc?

Better to use this opportunity for looking into the future rather than just focusing on the past.  

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

would it help if we made little John A MacDonald decorations for the occasion? 

53 minutes ago, riffraff said:

John A MacDonald bobblehead.

I was thinking something more along the lines of effigies. The kind we light on fire then get neo-cons to throw a bunch of asbestos blankets on him and hug it tight.

Archived