The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

John McCain Ends Cancer Treatment

nucklehead

John McCain, the six-term Arizona senator and 2008 Republican presidential nominee, has chosen to discontinue medical treatment for his brain cancer, his family said Friday.

In a statement, the family said McCain had surpassed expectations for survival, but "the progress of disease and the inexorable advance of age render their verdict." The family added, "With his usual strength of will, he has now chosen to discontinue medical treatment."

The senator, who would be 82 next week, has been away from the Capitol since December. If he should resign his seat or die soon, Republican Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey would name a replacement through the 2020 election. The winner of that election would serve the remainder of McCain's term through 2022.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/mccain-stopping-medical-treatment-for-his-brain-cancer/ar-BBMo6UU?ocid=spartanntp

The particular brain cancer he has is brutal and the most common.

My brother lost his battle with the same type 8 years ago. The cancer is fast growing and once diagnosed with it you have about a year to live so not surprised to hear this news.  

One of the few politicians that's respected universally.

10 hours ago, BowtieCanuck said:

Don't agree with his politics (although I respect him more than 99% of his party) but the man is an American hero. Hope when he passes its as painless as possible and with family members he loves.

Pretty much exactly my thoughts as well. Well said.

This is when people just become "human beings" and all the rest matters little. 

After having gone through this excruciatingly painful ordeal with Mom, my heart goes out to his family...may they find the strength they'll need.  I hope John finds comfort and rest and doesn't stay in that horrible place of suffering for too long.

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I read the online comments on Breitbart that @CBH1926 posted yesterday....absolutely despicable. It's hard to imagine the level of ignorance of these people.

Nothing is hard to imagine with Trumptards.

Anyway, multiforme glioblastoma is an ugly disease with a very poor prognosis.  My condolences to debluvscanucks and MJDDawg for having gone through this.  I don’t necessarily agree with Mr. McCains politics, my utmost respect to him for facing his demise with honesty and bravery.  If only more Republicans showed as much backbone as Senator McCain has, Trumps time as POTUS would be over sooner. 

14 hours ago, BowtieCanuck said:

Don't agree with his politics (although I respect him more than 99% of his party) but the man is an American hero. Hope when he passes its as painless as possible and with family members he loves.

Well said.

3 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

I am still mixed on John McCain... on one hand he is an American War hero and on the other he is a warmonger.. 

It's always sad when icons in society pass away... no matter how good or bad (excluding evil dictators etc..) they were. 

Was McCain a war monger though?  I thought, because of his horrible experiences during war, he always considered the troops first knowing what they were to go through.  

11 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

If I see a bunch of posts crapping on this man that just died an agonizing death it will literally destroy any lingering thread of faith in humanity that I have left.

Well I mean he's a controversial figure and his health/death should never over or under shadow that statement. 

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Someone passing away does not change the facts about what they did in their life.

If the person in question is objectively evil, fine, you can take route.

If it's a war hero/politician that you happen to disagree with or that happens to be "controversial", it takes a certain type of hideous, disgusting scumbag to pull that crap.

And for anyone else reading this, if you happen to be the type of person that wants to pull that type of crap, the above statement basically sums up my opinion of you.

This is the last I'll speak on the matter.

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

If the person in question is objectively evil, fine, you can take route.

If it's a war hero/politician that you happen to disagree with or that happens to be "controversial", it takes a certain type of hideous, disgusting scumbag to pull that crap.

Each person on earth whether a war hero or a basement dweller living with their parents are subject to criticism by other people.. 

Just because you're a war hero doesn't give you full immune to be free from others views. 

IMO he is controversial, and that doesn't mean I am some scumbag secretly celebrating his death. 

Archived