The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Don't Get Angry At The Players.

TheGuardian_

ONCE AGAIN,

If we were to get the odd 1OA draft pick or some luck at the LOTTO DRAFT this rebuild would definately be a tad quicker.

HERES TO SOME GOOD LUCK FOR THE CANUCKS.

Fan is short for fanatic, we only want a "fair" chance at our first STANLEY CUP.

29 minutes ago, DADDYROCK said:

ONCE AGAIN,

If we were to get the odd 1OA draft pick or some luck at the LOTTO DRAFT this rebuild would definately be a tad quicker.

HERES TO SOME GOOD LUCK FOR THE CANUCKS.

Fan is short for fanatic, we only want a "fair" chance at our first STANLEY CUP.

Top 5 in the upcoming draft are all absolute studs.  Hughes would be great but any of those guys would be huge additions.  The pieces are almost here but just need some developing time now.  In a couple years we should be a bubble team with a ton of young guys pushing for spots.

Some rebuild.  This is year 5 of Benning's tenure as GM and the team is now worse than ever.  The Canucks management (Benning and Acquillini) thought (wrongly) that the team could be turned around "quickly" and took short term measures when a long term plan was needed.  Although the drafting was been reasonably good (not great), the free agent signings have been a bust.  Terrible judgement on guys like Eriksson and Gagner.  And then this year, LT contracts to Beagle and Roussel (groan).  Injuries have also made things worse. 

Prediction:  this will be the worst season in Canuck history and Benning will be fired at the end of it. And then the rebuild starts over with new management.  (I hope I"m wrong!) 

People just aren't used to the team sucking for this long. Look on the bright side, if we assume the Canucks fall short of the playoffs this year it would mark the third time in franchise history that they miss four years in a row. Take a look at how many playoff seasons the Canucks had following those two dry spells. Not many dark days left to get through.

23 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

For myself, my angst is for those that caused this to happen, it isn't an accident nor can it be blamed on something that happened a decade ago. Teams used to rebuild in 5 years, now it is closer to 3, 2021.  

I was with you up until this.  Have you heard of the Maple Leafs or the Oilers or the Sabres or the Flames?  Anyway, the rest of your post makes good sense.

On ‎2018‎-‎10‎-‎02 at 4:57 PM, stawns said:

To be fair, injuries have played a massive role in the lack of success in the last three years.

To be fair, having terrible defense, goaltending and almost no forwards that can score has played a massive role in the lack of success in the last three years.  

On 10/2/2018 at 3:36 PM, TheGuardian_ said:

Most fans know that the next couple of years will be difficult and trying, this team has been essentially built to ride out some hard times. The team was struggling last year in goal scoring and now have to replace 235 pts and 79 goals just to be even with last year. Those are goals/points scored by players  that are no longer on this team so far and a difficult task.They can replace them with better seasons by a bunch of players but Brock and Bo have to have better seasons than last year and if Petterson does what he seems to be able to do we should score enough to be competitive. With the twins gone we will find out what the other players can do.I don't expect 5 goals every night but the first game was a good start.

The players, whether they are AHL quality or NHL will be trying their very best most times to compete, Green could get them trapping like crazy but then the game would become super boring and if still losing, unwatchable. I mean who wants to watch a team go game after game playing not to lose big or being outshot 3 to 1. The present system at least looks better.Greens system is about speed, speed on the offensive side and speed coming back to defend. If Markstrom plays like he did in the first game, we will be in more games than we are out of.

Don't put unreasonable expectations upon the young players and then revile them when they fail to reach those lofty goals, the Sedins are gone and now the best of the opposition is playing the young guys. The team's vets knew what they were in for and are being paid very, very well but they have a ceiling and some are past the best before date. The younger players will either step up or someone else will get their spot. No one is going to get gifted minutes or a roster spot on this team and for good reason, fora change we actually have some players in Utica that are worth bringing up.Dahlen, Gaudette and a good number of the other players there will actually be able to help the team if they get called up. Its nice to have a few toys in the cupboard if someone goes down

For myself, my angst is for those that caused this to happen, it isn't an accident nor can it be blamed on something that happened a decade ago. Teams used to rebuild in 5 years, now it is closer to 3, 2021.  The league has gotten younger and the Canucks are younger as well. This is a bit of the stars aligning in their favor as they have one of the brightest crops of young players out there. This may allow them to be competitive a bit sooner than expected.

I had to answer in bolded above.

The thing i think that is working in our favor again is the fact that the trend in the league has been to go to the younger players. This is in the Canucks favor. They have younger talent than most teams both on the NHL roster and the farm. Its a brighter day than 2 years ago.

Its just the first game , we shouldn't be planning our parade route or expecting to be drafting first overall yet. Its a long year but the first act looked pretty good.

My biggest concern was Brock and Bo did not look dangerous at all. Having the players that scored gives me hope but we will need Brock and Bo to lead this team in scoring to be successful.

On 10/2/2018 at 4:36 PM, TheGuardian_ said:

For myself, my angst is for those that caused this to happen, it isn't an accident nor can it be blamed on something that happened a decade ago. Teams used to rebuild in 5 years, now it is closer to 3, 2021.  

How do you rebuild in 5 years, never mind 3, starting with no prospect pool, nothing of NHL quality on your farm team, and only one young player (Tanev 24) on your roster? 

What got us in this mess was Gillis going 2 of  37 on draft picks (Hutton & Horvat). Three including head case Hodgson. Compare that to Nonis going 6 of 24. And Nonis wasn't that good in the first round with 4 of those drafted outside the first round and none in the top ten like Horvat and Hodgson. Even Burke got hits like Chubarov, Bieksa and Rutuu outside the first round. It was truly inept drafting from Gillis that left us in such a deep hole to rebuild from.

How long a rebuild takes most often depends on what that GM is starting with. Like Burke taking over Anaheim with Getzlaf and Perry on their farm team. Or Shanny having some good young players on the roster like Kadri, JVR, Reilly, and Gardner. Having a starting point, something to build on, helps a great deal. Even if Gillis had a top three pick his first three drafts what would he have to go with them? Shinkaruk, Jensen, Gaunce and Corrado.....

Going off of replacing points and goals on last season alone, of the players no longer like the Sedins etc. Why not subtract the goals and points of players added to the team this off season. Makes it look a little more of a legitimate discussion. Account for Beagle's Shaller's, Rousell's, Motte, PETTERSON (Most of all) and half a season of Tanev Gud and Erickson each and I bet theres more of the points there. Leaving the left over sum to made up from Sven Bo Boeser and Jake... Looks a little more positive now that way no? Our problem will be goaltending and Defense. 

J.beagle 7g 15a

A. Rousell 5g 12a

T. Shaller 12g 10a

T. Motte 3g 2a

E. Petterson 24g 32a

51g 71a = 122points. 

To say we cant expect somewhat similar numbers from these guys but could from the Sedins Vanek etc.. Is not a fair assumption.

OP is a completely one sided argument. 

So that leaves 113 points left to replace from within. A little less daunting. Still not easy but better than saying we need 235 more points and X amount of goals.. Without acounting our additions to the team

1 hour ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Going off of replacing points and goals on last season alone, of the players no longer like the Sedins etc. Why not subtract the goals and points of players added to the team this off season. Makes it look a little more of a legitimate discussion. Account for Beagle's Shaller's, Rousell's, Motte, PETTERSON (Most of all) and half a season of Tanev Gud and Erickson each and I bet theres more of the points there. Leaving the left over sum to made up from Sven Bo Boeser and Jake... Looks a little more positive now that way no? Our problem will be goaltending and Defense. 

J.beagle 7g 15a

A. Rousell 5g 12a

T. Shaller 12g 10a

T. Motte 3g 2a

E. Petterson 24g 32a

51g 71a = 122points. 

To say we cant expect somewhat similar numbers from these guys but could from the Sedins Vanek etc.. Is not a fair assumption.

OP is a completely one sided argument. 

So that leaves 113 points left to replace from within. A little less daunting. Still not easy but better than saying we need 235 more points and X amount of goals.. Without acounting our additions to the team

A different way to compare last season to this years is the GF / GA statistics. Extremely small sample size so far with just three games in the books but the Canucks are averaging 4.00 Goals / game and surrendering 4.67 goals against. Very small sample size but considering that Boeser and Horvat are not up to speed yet; it does not appear that the biggest issue will be goal scoring but keeping it out of our own net.

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

A different way to compare last season to this years is the GF / GA statistics. Extremely small sample size so far with just three games in the books but the Canucks are averaging 4.00 Goals / game and surrendering 4.67 goals against. Very small sample size but considering that Boeser and Horvat are not up to speed yet; it does not appear that the biggest issue will be goal scoring but keeping it out of our own net.

I think the biggest thing we have to fix with the team is our need for 2 better defensemen to fill out the bottom 2 pairings.  Whether we find a couple of pairings that have better synergy, or just trade/sign our problems away, we have to do something.  One thing could be goaltending, but I believe that the goaltending coach will solve that problem within the next 10-15 games, and then we'll see a steady presence as the goaltenders get used to the new routine.

If the goaltending can improve, you'll see a looser bunch of guys in front of him, as they won't have to worry about fishing the puck out of their net if they make the slightest error, which should allow for a more run and gun approach.

Archived