The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) A trade that could really help, but hurt the hearts of us Canuck fans

Gator

Hope this proposal isn't due to Elias' hot start last night...

Put it this way.  If we trade Bo now we lose our heavy minutes guy, future captain, top all-round center as of last season, and 6'2", 165 lb Elias may need to take more minutes offensively (and Sutter/ Beagle defensively) than they should be handling.  I'd love as much as anyone to get a stud right handed D to pair but Quinn as of next year, but I'd rather stay the court and let Quinn and Jett develop together into the dominant pairing they can become.  

Well, I give you credit for having the courage to suggest such a thing, but it's a good question. What if the Canucks get the #1? I'd hate to lose Horvat, but not sure they could keep him. Unless Pettersson went back to wing. 

Goldobin - Horvat - Pettersson

Baertschi - J. Hughes - Boeser

Dahlen - Gaudette - Virtanen

although, it would be very difficult paying all of these guys, in addition to Demko, Juolevi, Q. Hughes and maybe Tryamkin. So, one or two players at least would probably need to go. Horvat would seem like the logical choice, and the Canucks would get a good return. Lots of teams would love to have Bo.

If they somehow land hughes, and your center depth is hughes, pettersson, bo .. and then you have hughes, juolevi, woo on D (all hypothetical, but this whole topic is hypothetical)...UFA top 4 D men will be knocking on Benning's door to come play here, instead of the other way around.  Id patch the holes via UFA route.

Wrap your head around that - Bo  as your third line center - team will be ready for business.

That said, Id hate to manage the cap in this case...you would have to really make all your noise within 3 years of Hughes 2 getting drafted.

This conversation feels at least 2 years premature. Let's see where Pettersson is at the end of the season. Let's see if Gaudette, Lind, Dahlen, Joulevi etc will have good seasons in Utica and be ready to make the jump next year. Let's see where their floors and ceilings are at the NHL level if they make it. Let's see what kind or return we can get by trading out our veteran players.

I think what made the Ryan Johansen and Seth Jones trade work so beautifully for both sides was that each team was literally missing that one piece. But that's not the situation the Canucks are in. Right now we have multiple pieces but just don't know if they align well so to speak. So it's difficult to say what we'll need in the future and what we should give up in order to get it.

Trade away a good young leader in the locker room on a rebuilding team who projects to not even make it to the playoffs because we are not patient enough to wait for Hughes, Juolevi and Woo is like trading Neely because we needed a verteran presence.

42 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

I can see aquaman trading Horvat OR boeser + 1st rd pick 2019 (2nd overall - 5th overall)  for the 1st overall pick in 2019 to draft Jack Hughes. This would be a big splash but usually host teams try to make a big splash on draft day. 

I'd rather just grab Kakko or something in this case. If Hughes is considered consensus number one. I mean, for all we know Kakko come the draft will steal the number one spot anyway. Hughes is considered by a few people to be a winger at the NHL level. It'd be a huge risk trading a bonafide 2nd line center for a could be center. 

If we are 2-5 there are some really good players we could draft that are fairly close to Hughes. Cozens, Kakko, and Dach are all really great players and 2 of them are 6'3+ centers. I'd hate to give up Bo just to get a slightly more celebrated prospect.

1 hour ago, BowtieCanuck said:

We gave up Schneider for Horvat. Imagine how much different this rebuild would be right now if we had a goaltender who could potentially steal a game or two. Trading Horvat doesn't make sense for a team that has very little scoring depth.

You kidding? That deal looks beautiful today. A SWEET recycling of a 2004 late 1st!

Markstrom stole game 1..Schneids has had TWO down, overpaid yrs. As we type, he's listed on IR to start the freeken'season!

I do that deal over, 10 times outa' 10

Uhh No C depth is weak EVEN if they pull a miracle and draft, J Hughes, having 1-2 c of Pettersson Hughes looks pretty weak to me no way those 2 make it past a playoff rnd as a tandem the refs will pocket their whistles and the west will roll over the Canucks. Bo is untouchable for now unless there is a landslide offer. 

Cant roll with 

Hughes Pete Sutter Beagle down the middle = Hyper burn. 

54 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I'd rather just grab Kakko or something in this case. If Hughes is considered consensus number one. I mean, for all we know Kakko come the draft will steal the number one spot anyway. Hughes is considered by a few people to be a winger at the NHL level. It'd be a huge risk trading a bonafide 2nd line center for a could be center. 

If we are 2-5 there are some really good players we could draft that are fairly close to Hughes. Cozens, Kakko, and Dach are all really great players and 2 of them are 6'3+ centers. I'd hate to give up Bo just to get a slightly more celebrated prospect.

I understand your logic and i LOVE Kakko too but what IF Aqua man wants to steal the spot light. You never know with these rich ass owners. They can do whatever they want and whenever. 

3 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

I understand your logic and i LOVE Kakko too but what IF Aqua man wants to steal the spot light. You never know with these rich ass owners. They can do whatever they want and whenever. 

Very, very true. Lets hope this isn't the case though. Hughes is not worth Bo and Kakko, Dach or Cozens imo. Lets just hope we outright win the lottery so we don't need to see how badly Aquaman wants the spotlight. LOL

Or playoffs, it was only one game but boy did Vancouver look good top to bottom last night :ph34r:

28 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

You kidding? That deal looks beautiful today. A SWEET recycling of a 2004 late 1st!

Markstrom stole game 1..Schneids has had TWO down, overpaid yrs. As we type, he's listed on IR to start the freeken'season!

I do that deal over, 10 times outa' 10

Don't get it twisted, I would NEVER take back that trade. All I'm saying is we'd be better off with a goalie who is clearly a starter than the two backups we have now.

Lets not forget what division Schnieds is in now. It's a tough division.

3 hours ago, Jaku said:

No. If the Canucks do finish at the bottom of the league, somehow win the draft lottery and draft Jack Hughes... Have Jack and Bo as the top 2 centers... Even if that scenario doesn't play out and the Canucks have Elias-Bo as the 1 and 2. Having good centers is so essential in the league trading Bo would be detrimental. 

nope

elias will be our #1 center by the end of the season

and will stay in that role for at least the next 10 seasons

i really doubt jack hughes could supplant him

bo makes an excellent complimentary center

he is a bit of a power forward in a center role..  a hard combo to find

i'm thinking the team could/should focus on drafting an elite winger

or a high skill dman with our top draft pick next season

2 minutes ago, BowtieCanuck said:

Don't get it twisted, I would NEVER take back that trade. All I'm saying is we'd be better off with a goalie who is clearly a starter than the two backups we have now.

Lets not forget what division Schnieds is in now. It's a tough division.

Past few yrs a top gt would have probably only worsened our favourable draft-position. No 1 or 2 pieces could have papered over our shortcomings. We HAD to transition to a young, deep collection, precisely as we're doing.

& as I'm on record clearly stating in the (Stealth Thread) I started Oct, 2017. Our rebuild got underway with acquiring Bo. He's a perfect guy to transfer lessons learned(from twins & other vets) to the incoming youth.

It takes time, but he's an integral part of the overall plan.

Archived