The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

US Midterms Tuesday

DonLever

18 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

Same names multiple times. 

Oh.  It's multiple minor parties that have more or less aligned themselves with one side or another (R or D) in most of the races.  The idea is that you'll get people that see "working families" or "conservative" and vote for the candidate because of that if they're averse to voting for either of the major parties. 

I vote in those spots because I don't like directly choosing under the column of either major party.  It's my own little way of letting Washington and Albany know that I'm unsatisfied with the status quo.

The only direct party vote that I made was for Cuomo for governor.  It was my one selfish vote because he's been very good to Buffalo and I think the governor race has a chance to be tighter than some think.

12 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Of two possible things will most likely happen....

In reality.... meh... nothing really changes.  

Only two parties after all...:P  Not to mention doing things like gerrymandering (both sides do it) tends to make it difficult to beat the incumbent.

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

Oh.  It's multiple minor parties that have more or less aligned themselves with one side or another (R or D) in most of the races.  The idea is that you'll get people that see "working families" or "conservative" and vote for the candidate because of that if they're averse to voting for either of the major parties. 

I vote in those spots because I don't like directly choosing under the column of either major party.  It's my own little way of letting Washington and Albany know that I'm unsatisfied with the status quo.

The only direct party vote that I made was for Cuomo for governor.  It was my one selfish vote because he's been very good to Buffalo and I think the governor race has a chance to be tighter than some think.

That’s what I assumed, thanks for the info!

12 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Only in America, Irishmen O’Rourke refers to himself as Beto to somehow appear more Hispanic.

And Canadian Rafael Cruz is known as Ted Cruz to appear less Hispanic.

No wonder politics are one giant sewer full of $&!#.

AFAIK, O'Rourke goes by Beto because it was a nickname he was given as a kid. Do you have evidence that he changed it, since entering politics?

3 hours ago, BabychStache said:

Same names multiple times. 

Pfft come on man it's simple.  if you don't like Sue Maxwell Barnes the Republican, vote in Sue Maxwell Barnes the Conservative, if you don't like either of them then I assure you that Sue Maxwell Barnes the Green is a solid person.  Barring that I have heard that Sue Maxwell Barnes the Independent cares.  

If none of them work for you, Sue Maxwell Barnes of the Reform side isn't a terrible choice either

What's there to be confused about?

I have a feeling that, despite all the celebrity and media endorsement to get people to go vote (democratically), the republicans will still be the winners of today due to fear mongering and the younger generation of voters not caring as much (except maybe in Tennessee, way to go TayTay). 

I hope to god I am wrong.

1 minute ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I have a feeling that, despite all the celebrity and media endorsement to get people to go vote (democratically), the republicans will still be the winners of today due to fear mongering and the younger generation of voters not caring as much (except maybe in Tennessee, way to go TayTay). 

Millennials are now the largest voting group in the US, they surpassed the baby boomers this year. I hope they realize the power they have and use it.

29 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

So far, turnout among people aged 18-30 is blowing previous elections out of the water. There's reason for very cautious optimism there. 

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Pfft come on man it's simple.  if you don't like Sue Maxwell Barnes the Republican, vote in Sue Maxwell Barnes the Conservative, if you don't like either of them then I assure you that Sue Maxwell Barnes the Green is a solid person.  Barring that I have heard that Sue Maxwell Barnes the Independent cares.  

If none of them work for you, Sue Maxwell Barnes of the Reform side isn't a terrible choice either

What's there to be confused about?

LOL! Well, When you put it that way..... 

5 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

AFAIK, O'Rourke goes by Beto because it was a nickname he was given as a kid. Do you have evidence that he changed it, since entering politics?

Rafael goes by Ted and Robert goes by Beto. Who cares? Although, one seems to be trying to sound more English while the other doesn't. They both signed as their legal names into their late 20s, so both are likely political ploys. 

53 minutes ago, 406in604 said:

Rafael goes by Ted and Robert goes by Beto. Who cares? Although, one seems to be trying to sound more English while the other doesn't. They both signed as their legal names into their late 20s, so both are likely political ploys. 

Robert Francis O'Rourke was born on September 26, 1972, at Hotel Dieu Hospital in El Paso to Pat Francis O'Rourke and his second wife Melissa Martha O'Rourke néeWilliams.[1][2][3][4] A fourth-generation Irish American,[5][6] his family always called him "Beto" (a common Spanish nickname for first names ending in "-berto") initially to distinguish him from his namesake grandfather.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beto_O'Rourke

Archived