The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] What Could The Nucks Get For Sven Baerstchi

11 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Just a thought, he isn't playing and apparently isn't missed. Often injured

Thoughts? 

I don’t think Baer will return a pick.  He’d get a similar aged, and similar level of player in return.  Plus, he’s injured right now.

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Thoughts? 

I'd say he's absolutely missed and his injuries don't show frailty like Tanev. His injuries are out of his control like a puck to the jaw and a hit to the head.

Edit: we miss him most on the power play, especially the second unit

7 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I'd say he's absolutely missed and his injuries don't show frailty like Tanev. His injuries are out of his control like a puck to the jaw and a hit to the head.

I hope he's replaced by the trade deadline next year, if not at the end of this year.

Not much.  He has a bad history of concussions and teams are not going to give up anything of value for him.  His advanced stats are also terrible - bloggers have been demonstrating it all of last season.

The crazy thing is that the other team might actually get quite the unexpected deal if they use him with playmakers.   Baer is 3rd in shooting percentage at 5v5 over the past 3 seasons among players with at least 120 games (i.e. roughly half the games available).  He actually has just 1 goal less than Horvat at 5v5 over those past 3 seasons.  Horvat has played 2'980 minutes at 5v5 and Baer only 2'350 - so a difference of 630 minutes for a 1 goal differential at 5v5.  Basically 80% of a season for Baer.  Numbers from Corsica.

He also led the team in PP goals per 60 last season playing on the 2nd unit.  Green sees him as a playmaker when he might be more efficient used as a goal scorer.  Before his injury he was playing with Sutter and Gaudette who are not playmakers and Green even says he doesn't consider Horvat a playmaker.  Goldobin can't seem to convert on Pettersson's set-ups - shooting percentage of 3% only this season. 

In any case the return would not be particularly interesting for the Canucks re his health concerns and poor underlying numbers.  Probably more a player for player swap. Someone like Rieder in Edmonton or the likes.  

Dont sell low.

When he comes back he will be an upgrade over leipsic. 

Just want to see what a healthy Brock, Baer, Edler and Sutter will do for this group that is already impressing.

Edit: forgot to mention Beagle.

Baer is more of an asset for the Canucks sitting on the bench than anything he can get in return right now. What I don't understand is why all this talking abut trading this guy and trading that guy when we have a winning record right now? Trading players is not like the video game, it affects the players too. The locker room is tight right now and nothing is broken so why screw around with it? He wasn't playing too badly before he got injured.

35 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

question here

Baertschi vs Michael Grabner……….fairly equal in talent at this point?

When I need a goal, I'd rather have Grabner on the ice. If I'm protecting the lead, I would rather have Baer.

2 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Thoughts? 

Baertschi is missed.

Check out the roster.  Who on it is a bona fide top 6 player?  I don't mean projects to be top 6.  A player who has had at least 1 season producing at a top 6 level and being defensively responsible.

Here is Baertschi's record for the last 2 seasons:

2016-17  68 games 18-17-35 -6  0.52 ppg rank 150

2017-18  53 games 14-15-29 +3  0.55 ppg rank 146

My criteria is that a player must have at least 50 games played in a season.  There are 6 x 30 teams = 180 top 6 players in the league.  Granted, there may be some 3rd liners who meet my standard but the point is that Baer is well within the standard.

On this roster, I would call only 4 players bona fide top 6 and only 3 make this standard.  The 4th however, may be the best player.

Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser, Baertschi

Archived