The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] What Could The Nucks Get For Sven Baerstchi

8 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Here is Baertschi's record for the last 2 seasons:

2016-17  68 games 18-17-35 -6  0.52 ppg rank 150

2017-18  53 games 14-15-29 +3  0.55 ppg rank 146

Interesting Stats CC....good point!

I don't think that is the question though...……………..

What would his value be if traded is what I believe the question is...……….

And like I was pointing out....NJ gave up a 46th OA pick in 2018 + a 6'2" 205 lb 19 year old Russian Defenseman, still in junior at the time

But as much as I wouldn't too upset, he has a 3 year contract, that was just signed, so I doubt he is moved this year anyways, but the remains we have 3 LWers that are fighting over 1 spot on the 2nd line (Baertschi, Goldobin, and Dahlen). It is Baers to lose IMO

There is no reason to trade Baer. This is not a video game. He is: too well liked on the team to mess with chemistry, he is more valuable to us than any pick we could potentially get back for him, and if he ever gets a run of luck that keeps him away from injuries, I'd say he is a 40 point scorer; maybe not a 20 goal scorer, but with Bo and Brock, there needs to be a distributor. That's Baer

18 minutes ago, Father Ryan said:

There is no reason to trade Baer. This is not a video game. He is: too well liked on the team to mess with chemistry, he is more valuable to us than any pick we could potentially get back for him, and if he ever gets a run of luck that keeps him away from injuries, I'd say he is a 40 point scorer; maybe not a 20 goal scorer, but with Bo and Brock, there needs to be a distributor. That's Baer

"If" he could, we would be having this discussion

But...………..40 points is a only part of the story, and not a premium 2nd line winger

and we need another driver on that line...he is replaceable

15 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Yeah, let's trade Baer.  Schaller can take over his spot permanently. While you're at it, why not move Sutter and Beagle; it's obvious we don't need those guys either.  Winning...:ph34r:

It is not like Baer doesn't contribute, but lets wait and see what happens when he gets back...…..

But the Poster was asking about value

9 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

It is not like Baer doesn't contribute, but lets wait and see what happens when he gets back...…..

But the Poster was asking about value

Why assess a player's value when he has a severe concussion?  His value right now is at an all time low.

17 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Why assess a player's value when he has a severe concussion?  His value right now is at an all time low.

I get what your saying, but I guess I don't look at these things, like they are in the immediate moment....

I just assumed (OH oh!) that he would be back and playing at the same level as before he was injured......be fore his value was established….

I mean, right now he would have absolute negative value......so as you say, we would not get anything for him

but if he comes back, like we know and hope he will, what is his value...…...it is a good question

Like I posted....Grabner got a 2nd +, last year

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Interesting Stats CC....good point!

I don't think that is the question though...……………..

What would his value be if traded is what I believe the question is...……….

And like I was pointing out....NJ gave up a 46th OA pick in 2018 + a 6'2" 205 lb 19 year old Russian Defenseman, still in junior at the time

But as much as I wouldn't too upset, he has a 3 year contract, that was just signed, so I doubt he is moved this year anyways, but the remains we have 3 LWers that are fighting over 1 spot on the 2nd line (Baertschi, Goldobin, and Dahlen). It is Baers to lose IMO

You know, I got side tracked by something at home and didn't really finish.  I think it's a mistake to trade Baertschi.  Sure he's in a fight at this point for his spot in the line up but he clearly has a leg up on the other 2 players.

At a rank of 140-150, I would be surprised if when things settle out he were anything better than a 2LW.  So his ceiling is lower than Dahlen and Goldy but his floor is also higher as he has proven over the past 2 seasons.

Another candidate for top 6 LW would be Gadjovich.  There is always the possibility that Benning drafts a very good LW with a probable (imo) top 15 pick in next years draft.  But the future is uncertain.  

I think that Baertschi is underappreciated.  He is a good player and a keeper imo.  The other aspect is that he is a little older than many players on the Canucks and this is a point in his favour because having players of all ages is an important mix as the team matures.

Having said all of the above, he is a support player.  Baer is not a core player.

5 hours ago, Zhukini said:

I’d be happy with a 2nd and a 4th rounder

We bought high on him at the time 

we bought low! You are out of your mind if you think JB bought high. 53 oa picks chance of even playing an NHL game is low. He was a 13 oa pick in 2011. JB got a 13 oa pick for a late 2nd after 2 years of development and having shown to be one of the brightest spots in the flames org until Burke came along with his truculence mantra.

3 hours ago, Father Ryan said:

Fwiw Poile did his mea culpa a few years back and thinks it's a reason he still doesn't have a Cup after all those years.  Too often he has chased for upgrades and it messed up things that were working - it either stalled his team or they even regressed.  He thinks one of the hardest things to find is chemistry on and off the ice.  It's also why he isn't making any more trades for a while - players told him to leave the team intact.

Re him not being a goal scorer.  His shooting percentage is 3rd in the league at 5v5 over the past 3 years (min 120 games).  At 5v5, he has just one goal less than Horvat while playing over 630 minutes less over the past 3 seasons (a 5v5 season is 780 minutes for Baer).  He is used as the distributor but maybe they should re-think.

A lot of posters too eager to just trade for the sake of trading, also under appreciating and undervaluing Baer.

Sure, he's not Mr. Flashypants, bonafide 1st line LW. But guess what, we got him for a 2nd round pick, remember that?

Not sure what you'd expect out of a second, or even mid first round pick.

His production is fine. He can play up and down the line up. He doesn't slack off or cut corners, wins board battles and sets up some really nice plays.

Baer is not the guy I consider trading unless he's part of a big upgrade for a legit, proven first line winger or PMD.

Maybe I overvalue what he brings? I see his worth when he's playing. There are few players doing what he does that were stolen with a 2nd round pick. He's a career NHLer. Have some respect for that

5 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

On this roster, I would call only 4 players bona fide top 6 and only 3 make this standard.  The 4th however, may be the best player.

Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser, Baertschi

Long story short OP, highly disagreed with trading him.  We got him for a discount, he's finally showing that he's top-6 caliber and then signed him to a deal to reward him, and now we trade him?  That's not how you treat loyalty.  
Now Crabcakes, just wondering what you mean by the bolded part?

At this point guys that get 35-40 points don’t get you much in return, we are much better off keeping him, hope he’s healthy and can get into 22-25 goal territory and 55 points.  He’s our first Left wing option for now, and could get there if he’s healthy.  Three consecutive years of that could get you what Tatar was traded for to Vegas last year, multiple first rounders/picks.   As of right now if we were trading for a very good RHD prospect or young player then maybe it makes sense, but I think the return would be underwhelming.  Better off keeping him, if he’s stays healthy he could be a 20-20 guy easily, eventually more.

IMO, ranking of top 6 forwards in terms of scoring abilities:

EP

Horvat

Boeser

Baer

Eriksson

Goldy

Baer' is still 4th best scoring forward on the team. Until the day comes when young players push him out, there's really no need to trade him. Depth is what is winning us games . Baer is injured so you fill the hole with Granny or Leipsic; both being a good fill in for top 6 role, especially Granny as he is a very versatile player. You trade Baer and we are suddenly one injury away from having to call up either a player that is not ready, call up Gagner, or sign a fringe NHLer (i.e., Megna and Chaput).

Next season if one of Dahlen/Lind makes enough progress to make the team, Goldobin solidifies his game, and/or if we draft a player like J. Hughes, then Baer will become expendable. We should re-visit his trade value then. 

I think his value is not too high anyways so there's really no benefit to trading Baer now.

10 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Long story short OP, highly disagreed with trading him.  We got him for a discount, he's finally showing that he's top-6 caliber and then signed him to a deal to reward him, and now we trade him?  That's not how you treat loyalty.  
Now Crabcakes, just wondering what you mean by the bolded part?

EP

Archived