The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GDT: Canucks vs. Rangers, Monday, Nov.12th, 2018 4 PM PST

Qwags

8 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Interesting how players develop. A few years ago Lias Anderson was such a highly touted prospect, a year older than Elias. 

He went from throwing his world world junior medal away to a few challenging years at the pro level.  Not really lighting it up with Frolanda and not great ahl numbers either 

I wonder if if he could be scooped out of the Rangers org? 

I wouldn't give them more than a third rounder for Andersson. I certainly wouldn't flip Goldy for him. At every level of development Goldy has been superior. I look forward to seeing how Petey and Dahlin play together but he and Goldy seem like a nice match together. Once Goldy pots that first goal, they'll start going in, just like a couple of years ago when he played with the twins. I think right now his focus is more on battle and positioning, once that is second nature, and he converts a chance or two, he'll take off.

9 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

I wouldn't give them more than a third rounder for Andersson. I certainly wouldn't flip Goldy for him. At every level of development Goldy has been superior. I look forward to seeing how Petey and Dahlin play together but he and Goldy seem like a nice match together. Once Goldy pots that first goal, they'll start going in, just like a couple of years ago when he played with the twins. I think right now his focus is more on battle and positioning, once that is second nature, and he converts a chance or two, he'll take off.

Lias Andersson was a top 10 draft pick in Pettersson's draft...he's probably gonna end up being something, not as good as Petey, but a pretty good player nonetheless.

15 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

That is silly imo. Andersson is a very recent 7th overall pick.

Edit: it does not matter anyway. The Rangers are not trading Andersson. 

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I like that lineup much better than the one in the OP. Especially since Granny is no longer hogging two spots. ;) 

Roussel deserves to be in the top-6 the way he's playing.

And Shotgun rides with the birthday boy.

Unpopular take #1: I'd consider sitting Motte out. Just for a game here and there so that a guy like Gaunce can get some action. Maybe on a rotation between Motte, Leipsic, and Gaunce. Motte's play seems to have dropped off a little lately. He's made a few mental errors that last few games. And he's also taken a few hard knocks and might even be a little banged up.

Unpopular take #2: As much as Leipsic seems to be the natural candidate for a scratch (especially to get Gaunce some games), some of the numbers suggest that the Canucks are getting more offence with Leipsic than with Motte, while they're getting roughly equal defensive value (even strength) with Leipsic versus Motte. I'm not trying to pile on Motte here. I actually think he's a superior defensive player to Leipsic. Just not sure it's clear cut whether one brings more (overall) to the team than the other.

Unpopular take #3: I kinda like the ears on Marky's mask. :P

Motte by far is one of our better defensive forwards, second only to Jake in net takeaways:

tka-gva diff.pdf

Also leads the team in hits, with 40, that's 2 more than Guddy and MDZ and 3 more than Jake

1 hour ago, Silky mitts said:

Ep40 bday, I predict a huge game for him.

Browsing while I wait for the game, there are some nuggets in NHL.com.

E.g.  in 12 games EP has been on the ice for 21 goals (7 on the PP) and has scored or assisted in 17 of them.  +7 at home, even zero on the road

19 of EP's 30 shots have been wristers, but only 4 of his 10 goals have come from them.  3 of 4 slapshots have been goals

Pouliot is +9 at home, -5 on the road

Stecher is +2 at home, +6 on the road (leads the team at +8)

Goldie has had 30 shots on net, and 20 attempts that have missed (10 wide, 7 high and 3 posts)

I guess I just find this kind of stuff interesting

https://www.nhl.com/news/elias-pettersson-reminds-wayne-gretzky-of-himself/c-301866498

High praise from the great one for the greater one:

Elias Pettersson reminds Wayne Gretzky a lot of one of the greatest players in NHL history -- himself.

"From my point of view, he's got a lot of my similarities," Gretzky said about the Vancouver Canucks rookie on Sportsnet Radio 650 in Vancouver on Monday. "His hockey sense and his playmaking ability are as good as anybody right now, and that's probably where the comparisons come from -- much more the playmaking than anything else."

Pettersson, who turned 20 on Monday, scored 10 goals in his first 10 NHL. He leads all NHL rookies in scoring with 17 points (10 goals, seven assists) in 12 games entering Vancouver's game against the New York Rangers at Madison Square Garden on Monday (7 p.m. ET; MSG, SNP, NHL.TV). He is the fifth player after the NHL's inaugural season in 1917-18 and the first since 1992-93 to score at least 10 goals in his first 10 NHL games.

Gretzky said the arrival of Pettersson the season following the retirements of Henrik and Daniel Sedin is a boon for the Canucks, who haven't qualified for the Stanley Cup Playoffs since 2014-15.

"I've had a chance to see him a couple of times on TV. He's fun to watch and plays with a great deal of passion and energy," Gretzky said. "It's exactly what the people in Vancouver needed to sort of move on from the Sedin era. It's been a godsend for the coaching staff because he's very coachable. He's done a lot of good things for that organization already."

Gretzky, the all-time leading scorer in NHL history, said he also sees similarities between Pettersson and Pittsburgh Penguins center Sidney Crosby.

"We're lucky that guys like [Toronto Maple Leafs center] Auston Matthews and [Colorado Avalanche center] Nathan MacKinnon and of course [Edmonton Oilers center] Connor McDavid now have come along. They seem to be that new breed of player that's maybe be a little bit bigger, a little bit faster, a different kind of player than a guy like Sidney played," he said. "A guy like Pettersson plays more along the lines of the way Sidney plays and the way I played in that he's got to utilize his eyes and his hockey sense and rely on his instinctability on the ice. He's not a big guy [6-foot-2, 176 pounds]; Sidney [5-11, 200 pounds] was by no means a big man either. But his hockey sense; Sidney always seemed to be one step ahead of everyone else."

But in the end, Gretzky said, winning the Stanley Cup is what matters most.

"To me, the best guys are the guys who win championships," said Gretzky, who won the Stanley Cup four times with the Edmonton Oilers. "Ultimately as a leader and a guy who wins MVPs and wins scoring titles -- that's all gravy. But at the end of the day, it's all about lifting the Stanley Cup.

"Pettersson is a young kid right now. He's very young, it's a young organization in Vancouver, they've done a lot of great things over the last 12 months. I'm sure the people in Vancouver have to be very excited about the destination of that hockey club. There seems to be a very strong, good direction for that hockey club, and that's great for Vancouver."

Archived