The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Did the Canucks come back down to reality?

cory40

I haven't made many posts.But this one seems to have me burning! Did the Canucks come back down to reality or are they being screwed by the NHL? Or maybe they have a deal in place to get the number one pick in Vancouver for accepting this schedule?  Or should Jim Benning be fired for not noticing 12 ish games every other night including a 6 game road trip and two back to back games, including the game in Los Angeles tomorrow. Can we even expect a win? How about the effect this amount of games with-out rest is having on EP's rookie year? The Canadians have a similar schedule with a couple more days off for rest , and Claude Julian has said publicly his team is tired!  Fast forward to the west and lose 2 or 3 days rest add a couple more games and you can see it in the play! The 3rd period's( aside from some stints) their is nothing in the tank! if this is the best the NHL can do its time to fire some people, Or reduce the amount of games. I am thinking just maybe their is a Toronto type deal in place to land Hughes! How else can you explain this schedule?

I am joking about Hughes but burning about the lack of respect the Canucks are getting from the NHL!

their schedule is brutal every year.   Canucks GMs have certainly noticed this, but change is another matter.

it's part being on the coast, part getting the (smaler market Canadian) shaft.

The coming back to 'reality' though is mostly having their depth depleted imo.

Just now, oldnews said:

their schedule is brutal every year.   Canucks GMs have certainly noticed this, but change is another matter.

it's part being on the coast, part getting the (smaler market Canadian) shaft.

The coming back to 'reality' though is mostly having their depth depleted imo.

It was particularly brutal this year because Edmonton started their season in Sweden.  Teams typically play Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton in one go so they had to delay until Edmonton returned.

lol the NHL is not intentionally screwing the Canucks. We'd have to have pretty big egos to assume they have a secret agenda against the team. Even the eastern media is praising Pettersson, calling him a superstar after only 17 games. He's the talk of the league right now,. Geez that must bug the Leafs fans. lol

I think the Canucks started the season really well, they had something to prove. But then the injuries hit, and they've struggled to win since. It has nothing to do with the coaching, nothing to do with the league or the refs. Injuries to key players will have a negative effect.

Bo has been a beast, way more faceoffs than any other player in the league and he's over 50%. He's also been getting a ton of ice time and playing in all key situations. He's doing it all right now. Pettersson has been great. Hutton, Goldobin and Virtanen all continue to improve. I think once the Canucks have all of their players back, we can then look at how they're fairing. This is a better team than what the last 3 weeks has shown. 

Would be nice to see Stecher start putting the puck in the net.

1 minute ago, mll said:

It was particularly brutal this year because Edmonton started their season in Sweden.  Teams typically play Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton in one go so they had to delay until Edmonton returned.

One year it's the Olympics

One year it's the Canucks to China

This year it's the Coil in Sweden / Calgary in China.

It's usually something - in addition to the 'normal' travel and play grind.

Bad luck with injuries (as usual for this team) and lack of quality depth options to replace the injured players.  We played above expectations when those guys first went down, but we can't expect Petersson to carry the team on his back all season.  Hoping with Beagle, Edler, Boesser etc. all back in the lineup that we'll see an improvement.  Just hopefully it's not too late.

As for the league conspiracy, back alley deal making stuff, not really my thing.

1 minute ago, The Sedge said:

Bad luck with injuries (as usual for this team) and lack of quality depth options to replace the injured players.  We played above expectations when those guys first went down, but we can't expect Petersson to carry the team on his back all season.  Hoping with Beagle, Edler, Boesser etc. all back in the lineup that we'll see an improvement.  Just hopefully it's not too late.

As for the league conspiracy, back alley deal making stuff, not really my thing.

So you never watched the 94 SCF?

Everyone in the beginning of the year went in knowing it would be a tough year rebuilding and bringing in new kids. 

We all knew the team would be bad.  

So so why the hell are we so surprised now that they are slowing down?   

Yes injuries don’t help, but that is no excuse. Every team has them. 

“But but but.  We have them worse!”

Too bad.   The only issue with the injuries is our team sucks and doesn’t have the depth to replace them.  

We we need to stop crying and searching for excuses.  

This team is not yet good enough. 

We are well on our way, and hopefully we will be good soon, but I don’t expect anything out of this team for another 2-3 years. 

Get comfy.  We will be waiting a while.  

Enjoy the ride.  

Looking at Mar/Apr if the Nucks are healthy they can definitely go on a run at the end of the year.  Only two back to backs and a 7 game home stand against some beatable opponents.  I think this schedule is actually a good thing, get these massive road trips over with, they close out the schedule playing every other day pretty much.

I think we are right where we should be.  We are hanging around the playoffs, and our games have been entertaining.  We've played 15 road games and had a ton of injuries, there are teams that haven't played 10 road games yet.  I expect that we will hover around playoff position due to our week division, and bottom out in March.  I don't think this is a bad thing.  This is a great year to have a top 10 pick.

Our team was overachieving from the start, but especially once injuries started mounting.  There is only so long we can keep winning with a depleted, mediocre team.

I'm not concerned.  This season so far is shaping up to be everything I wanted it to be - development of our younger guys, hard work, decent coaching and a faster team. If we manage to make the playoffs, that's just gravy over my expectations.

6 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Our team was overachieving from the start, but especially once injuries started mounting.  There is only so long we can keep winning with a depleted, mediocre team.

I'm not concerned.  This season so far is shaping up to be everything I wanted it to be - development of our younger guys, hard work, decent coaching and a faster team. If we manage to make the playoffs, that's just gravy over my expectations.

Get out of here with those realistic expectations.

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

Everyone in the beginning of the year went in knowing it would be a tough year rebuilding and bringing in new kids. 

We all knew the team would be bad.  

So so why the hell are we so surprised now that they are slowing down?   

Yes injuries don’t help, but that is no excuse. Every team has them. 

“But but but.  We have them worse!”

Too bad.   The only issue with the injuries is our team sucks and doesn’t have the depth to replace them.  

We we need to stop crying and searching for excuses.  

This team is not yet good enough. 

We are well on our way, and hopefully we will be good soon, but I don’t expect anything out of this team for another 2-3 years. 

Get comfy.  We will be waiting a while.  

Enjoy the ride.  

I agree with most of what you said, except, we do have them worse..

And the team is also more tired at this point in time. 

I don't think anyone is trying to make an excuse (what's the point of that for us as fans?), but simply discussing how these factors could be affecting the team. 

44 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

I agree with most of what you said, except, we do have them worse..

And the team is also more tired at this point in time. 

I don't think anyone is trying to make an excuse (what's the point of that for us as fans?), but simply discussing how these factors could be affecting the team. 

Boo hoo.  

We just lost to a team with more injuries than us.  

The team isnt isn’t good enough.  Period. 

It is what it is.   That’s how a rebuild goes.  

We will be fine in a couple years 

2 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Boo hoo.  

We just lost to a team with more injuries than us.  

The team isnt isn’t good enough.  Period. 

It is what it is.   That’s how a rebuild goes.  

We will be fine in a couple years 

no need for the constant contentious "but but but.." "boo hoo" 

this is a forum and we're trying to discuss something. don't let the door hit you on the way out 

Archived