The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Did the Canucks come back down to reality?

cory40

Reality. No..it's a sleeping dream, & we've tragically tumbled into the rabbit hole.

Bettman is likely the scheming Cheshire Cat, & poor ol' JB might be the Mad Hatter? Just hope our young guys can avoid the Red(correction: Queen of Hearts!) .."Off with their heads!"

Sorry..our lil' girl prob watched this DVD a million times, & this season now resembles the Hatter's tea party.

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:17 PM, smokes said:

On an 82 game schedule, sometimes I think the NBA has it right in resting their star players in some games. If starting goaltenders can gave a game or two off sometimes so should the skaters. 

Maybe the players play all of the Home games but maybe when we hit some of the big market cities(Toronto, NY etc.) we sit our "Star" players such as Petey, especially when we are playing 3 games in 4 nights or something similar.

The almost feels like the anti-Zepp thread from a month ago. lol

No hard feelings to anyone btw. I just think it's funny how we could probably have almost a timeline of threads like this and it would pretty much tell the entire story of the season.

Oct view: No expectations...BANG! They come stormin' outa the gate!!! ...OMG, gotta ramp up hopes, eh?

Nov view: Expectations rising(are we a contender?!) ..BAM! The Gawds whack us over the head, & pull the carpet from beneath us!

Fall on yer a$$..put'cher teeth on the glass. Cos' it's a season like the Wilbury Twist!

Basically feels bi-polar by now ..for most, I'd assume. Almost dangerous to have high hopes.

Can't get a good read, with all the injuries. Right now, about 20th OA finish(no-man's land?) appears the direction.

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:32 PM, vancouverbucsfan said:

The Bruins missed the playoffs back in 2015 and cleaned house. They traded Lucic. How were they able to get it turned around so quickly yet we continue to struggle?!?!

Is this a serious question?  They had/have a Selke winning 1st line C and Chara (who was still effective in 2015) not to mention all the other pieces they had that the Canucks don't.

I really want the NHL to change back to Campbell and Wales conferences. East West confidences I’m not a fan of.

it would make a more equal time traveling schedule and it would join the east west coasts.

nfl has nfc afc, mlb has nation and American Leagues. NHL should change back to how it was before.

On 11/23/2018 at 12:43 PM, cory40 said:

I haven't made many posts.But this one seems to have me burning! Did the Canucks come back down to reality or are they being screwed by the NHL? Or maybe they have a deal in place to get the number one pick in Vancouver for accepting this schedule?  Or should Jim Benning be fired for not noticing 12 ish games every other night including a 6 game road trip and two back to back games, including the game in Los Angeles tomorrow. Can we even expect a win? How about the effect this amount of games with-out rest is having on EP's rookie year? The Canadians have a similar schedule with a couple more days off for rest , and Claude Julian has said publicly his team is tired!  Fast forward to the west and lose 2 or 3 days rest add a couple more games and you can see it in the play! The 3rd period's( aside from some stints) their is nothing in the tank! if this is the best the NHL can do its time to fire some people, Or reduce the amount of games. I am thinking just maybe their is a Toronto type deal in place to land Hughes! How else can you explain this schedule?

I am joking about Hughes but burning about the lack of respect the Canucks are getting from the NHL!

Great post !  Funny how Toronto gets to play home every Saturday night and even when they are out west they play in their Eastern time.  Total BS and yes the Canuck's Schedule is the absolute worst I have ever seen in 40 years.  Take a look at January - only 9 games in 31 days. I know there;s an opiod epidemic but Who TF came up with this schedule ???

21 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Great post !  Funny how Toronto gets to play home every Saturday night and even when they are out west they play in their Eastern time.  Total BS and yes the Canuck's Schedule is the absolute worst I have ever seen in 40 years.  Take a look at January - only 9 games in 31 days. I know there;s an opiod epidemic but Who TF came up with this schedule ???

LOL... NHL hockey headquarters base in where else but... Ta Da... Toronto!

The excuse used to give Boston a week off to recover after a game 7, and gave us 2 weeks off to lose our adrenaline and let the battle injuries really sink in and take hold for the SCF was arena scheduling.

Although it was probably full of crap and was the Boston owner pulling strings , it’s defitniely something worth looking into to.

Should get the people running Rogers Arena to prioritize the Canucks over Justin Timberlake even if they might profit slightly less from the rent, they would make that up with more Canuck fans.

9 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

8 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

LOL... NHL hockey headquarters base in where else but... Ta Da... Toronto!

And yet we are told there is no biases in this league and the Ref's and the "War Room" staff are looking  at everyone the same too. Wasn't there a post where we have twice the amount of penalties as Toronto so far? Yeah OK no biases in this league. :towel:

It's a year of sorting things out.

Then, throw into that, injuries and, at times, some really questionable officiating.  

The team has had to show resilience and have managed to compete to stay in games despite it all.  

Reality is that we're a new/rebuilding team that's an in progress deal.  If we keep that in mind as where we set "reality" instead of expecting an all or nothing "cup or bust" thing, we're good.  I'm pretty pleased overall.

Take a roster that full strength would be in tough to make the playoffs, subtract multiple key players for extended stretches while enduring a particularly grueling schedule ( 3 practices in like 26 days wtf? )  and frankly I'm impressed they're not rock bottom of the league while getting blown out more often than not.  There are clearly areas to be improved upon and some players who are likely not part of the long term plan but I don't think it's too sanguine to see some positives.

On 11/26/2018 at 10:12 PM, RU SERIOUS said:

Money plain and simple.

Toronto viewership brings in far far far far far more money than Vancouver (or any other CDN team and probably most US teams) would and it is simply a money/business decision imo. 

I think what would freak me out if I owned the team I would want to start winning asap especially with Seattle coming with an expansion team. The personnel I feel won't be ready in time. Goaltending and defense need to be addressed this season. Lots of ifs ands or buts coming at trade deadline 

12 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

It is injuries and fatigue.....maybe lack of depth (especially when you lose your 2 shutdown centers)......I don't think that we can use that as an excuse anymore though..and good on coach Green for not using it as one.

It's not really a lack of depth though when you are 3rd in man games lost while still treading water at near .500.. 

Our depth is fine. Everyone gets so negative during these stretches, while jumping on their high horses and screaming for the cup and for Green to win the Jack Adams when everything is going well... everything will find a balance that is the reason the season is 82 games long and not 25. 

On 11/23/2018 at 9:32 PM, vancouverbucsfan said:

The Bruins missed the playoffs back in 2015 and cleaned house. They traded Lucic. How were they able to get it turned around so quickly yet we continue to struggle?!?!

You answered your own question.  They cleaned house. Grabbed as many picks as possible.  They also had more talent in their system to start with . Linden inherited an organization that was void of young talent. 

Archived