The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tom Wilson at it Again

21 minutes ago, Rounoush said:

So? Hitting a dude from behind at open ice is fine.

Image result for wrong gif

43.1 Checking from Behind – A check from behind is a check delivered on a player who is not aware of the impending hit, therefore unable to protect or defend himself, and contact is made on the back part of the body. When a player intentionally turns his body to create contact with his back, no penalty shall be assessed

43.3 Major Penalty – Any player who cross-checks, pushes or charges from behind an opponent who is unable to protect or defend himself, shall be assessed a major penalty. This penalty applies anywhere on the playing surface (see 43.5).

18 minutes ago, Rounoush said:

So? Hitting a dude from behind at open ice is fine.

The NHL rule on checking from behind does not mention proximity to the boards. In other words, checking from behind anywhere on the ice is illegal:

Checking from Behind – A check from behind is a check delivered on a player who is not aware of the impending hit, therefore unable to protect or defend himself, and contact is made on the back part of the body. When a player intentionally turns his body to create contact with his back, no penalty shall be assessed.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/rules/2018-2019-NHL-rulebook.pdf

I don't even know why he would attempt to make that hit. The outcome could have been so much worse if he made more head contact. He had plenty of time to get out of the way.

1 minute ago, Down by the River said:

Image result for wrong gif

43.1 Checking from Behind – A check from behind is a check delivered on a player who is not aware of the impending hit, therefore unable to protect or defend himself, and contact is made on the back part of the body. When a player intentionally turns his body to create contact with his back, no penalty shall be assessed

I have never seen a penalty assessed for a check from behind on open ice. It's only illegal when done against the boards.

4 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Except the rule says the exact opposite of what you are saying. Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean the rule doesn't exist. 

And this is the hit that broke the camel's back? Give me a break. This is a penalty on reputation alone. Reaves did the exact same thing on Edler last night and rightfully got nothing (suspension).

Hmm

Hit was late and from behind, but no head contact and the kid returned to the game.

Wilson could have avoided contact, so it's definitely interference, but he got a game misconduct based on reputation.

It's not as bad as what that goof Reaves pulled last night, so considering that, Wilson doesn't deserve a suspension because the penalty was more than enough.

I honestly don't see how this could get looked at, considering how malicious Reaves' hit on Edler last night was, and not even a call, let alone suspension for exactly when Wilson did in the video.

Only reason this is a big deal is because of the name...Tom Wilson's reputation got him that match penalty and likely another suspension.

3 hours ago, Down by the River said:

I've seen a few angles and I don't think the head was the principal point of contact.... its possible that he didn't even hit Seney's head at all. 

But, it is still a blindside hit, and I don't buy other peoples' argument that Seney turned at the last minute. Wilson had plenty of time to see him and just did not care. 

Are blindside hits still suspendable? I thought they took that rule out.

Archived