The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Winnipeg Jets at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 22, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

43 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree, but those guys knew the risks and made far, far, far more money than they would have working in sometime factory in a backwoods Canadian town. No one forced it on them.

I agree., without going deeper philosophically....;)

but optically the nhl needed to make a move to reduce fighting and I believe this was a major reason, if not main one.

2 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

The Tanev hit on Sheiffle in the boards is a b.s penalty.  

the non call on the hit where Pettersson flew into the boards non call also b.s non call.

CBC panel not knowing wether the hit on Boeser blind side should be legal or not, also fail.  Call it as it is, Nick, you dumbass.  

the non call on that was b.s too.  that was bloody dangerous, wth NHL, and what the &^@# is that all about? referees? instead of giving him a penalty they had a "chat" with him?   what were they expecting him to say?  I am guilty as charged, I didn't know, &^@# you NHL, officiating in the NHL is the worst out of all 4 major professional sports in North America. 

Old school NHL :  Gotta stay out of the box boys if we wanna get the W.

Today’s NHL: Don’t worry boys we’re in the elite team club, just make sure that you don’t shoot the puck over the boards in our end. Otherwise go getter.

Fist bumps to the guy that knocks a guy out of the game. Remember to make sure to brush past the guys shoulder on your way to his head.

:angry:

38 minutes ago, Kragar said:

I hate it too, don't wanna be known as a whiner.  But it is so hard not to, sometimes.

Reffing aside, it's not the first time we've been stung by a hot goalie.  just wish I didn't watch the game so late... got me too riled up to sleep.  One of the best 1-0 games I remember

Yeah very entertaining.

i had a game myself at 730 and so by the time I had a couple pops after I didn’t start watching till 1030...never need help staying awake after a game but this one was definitely not a melatonin!

13 hours ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

No question. The NHL saying they want to cut down on head shots and dirty hits is just lip service. Their actions are what matter (or in this case their inaction). 

Yes...on the selected few...

Their action is pathetic.

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yes...on the selected few...

Their action is pathetic.

Tottaly agree and I am not just complaining as a Canucks fan - the 2 game suspension they gave to Khaira from the Coilers was a joke - Dunn gave him one first and was right out on the power play after serving his penalty for his crosscheck. If we are confused how must the players feel.

Just got caught up on the game. That's a tough one. Play really good, but 1 mistake and you give a guy like Schiefele a chance to shoot.

Its just a great team on the other side thats able to hang on till the very end & capitalize on 1 opportunity. Markstrom had another great game its too bad they allowed Schiefele to slip away for the goal there, maybe you'd like a save but its what it is. Schief's a great shooter. Brossoit was great for the Jets too.

The bottom 6 was great or us. It felt like Horvat & Virtanen were going factor in on a goal at some point & it just never happened. Bo had alot of great chances. I also like Roussel & the guys jumping in for Motte. Overall it feels like group is really growing as a team. Its a tough way to lose but we played really good against one of the best teams so at the end of the day can't be too unhappy about that.

Its frustrating to not get that Chiarot crosscheck call, but I thought Beagle got away with hold on Schiefele earlier on the shift so the refs were just letting them play, for better or worse.

22 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

There used to be chicken wire around rinks and shoulder pads were to help prevent cuts and such. Hitting a head with a shoulder hurt like the blazes, heads are hard.

Elbow pads were to cushion falling and against the boards, gloves protected the lower arm from slashes not elbow pads.

Over 20 years ago Don Cherry said there would be more concussions and he used an elbow pad to drive a nail into a board, he stated then the problem recognized or at least acknowledged today, he also stated the penalties designed to make the game faster would result in more injuries due to hitting and he and Burke said stapling a player against the boards should not be a penalty to prevent the cross checking.

Have you noticed that suspensions seem to happen more when both players are moving, just saying it seems to be a trend. I didn't see the game but apparently it was thought that Karlsson was retaliating. It will become more problematic if players can not be hit while carrying the puck, if Karlsson had got the puck would there have been a suspension, I wonder. 

I don't know, what was Stecher doing? How could Martel hit him that would be legal? He didn't jump, he didn't hit him in the back, he didn't crosscheck him, he didn't board him, he didn't use his elbow, stick or head butt him. He did hit the shoulder first. What could he do? Skate by and let Stecher get the puck and create a scoring chance? He was able to stop within 18 inches so he wasn't going as fast as he could.

Just being the devil's advocate here, why wasn't Stecher aware that a player was closing in on him, he was playing not watching. If a player is supposed to be able to make decisions within 1 tenth of a second, what was Stecher doing with his 2 full seconds? A bad hit equals a 1/10 of a second decision but over 2 seconds for the player hit to make a decision that changes the outcome but doesn't.

He missed his shoulder! Same as an accidental high stick. Responsible for your actions! Hey Chara was warned because of his height didn't make head hits acceptable!

1 hour ago, stawns said:

exactly right, the refs didn't lose the game for the Canucks.  They couldn't beat a hot goalie and the Jets scored a beauty when the chips were down, like a top team should.  It was, truly, one of my favourite games of the year so far.

Agree...It had a proper playoff feel to it...

The fact we went toe to toe with a team, which is big and bad, as well as expected to go deep into the play offs, must have given the players immense pride and belief...

At the start of the season very few saw us having a chance of play offs, and even if we did, we'd get murdered. We are supposed to be in rebuild mode.

Last nights game suggested that we are capable of giving any team a run for their money.

Do I believe we are a play off team? not really, but I have zero doubt that in 2 years we will be a major player. This game proved it.

On a side note, how well has Markstrom been the last few weeks? Outstanding...

The suspension to Karllson completely contradicts the video the DOPS put out regarding intial contact to the head and raises two important issues;

1) what ramifications will the be for the two refs that deemed it was not worth even a minor penalty?

2) how does the league now justify that the Identical Martel hit did not even deserve supplemental discipline?

the NHL just continues to show the world how much of a gong show Mickey Mouse bush league it truly is 

5 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

The suspension to Karllson completely contradicts the video the DOPS put out regarding intial contact to the head and raises two important issues;

1) what ramifications will the be for the two refs that deemed it was not worth even a minor penalty?

2) how does the league now justify that the Identical Martel hit did not even deserve supplemental discipline?

the NHL just continues to show the world how much of a gong show Mickey Mouse bush league it truly is 

Agree

2 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Yes so at least it's fair across the whole league :lol:

Last night seemed like it was more what a playoff type game would be by the sounds of it, the refs put the whistle away like in the playoffs, so if fans can't handle this game how will they ever handle a playoff game?

Its not that fans can't handle playoff game, its the inconsistency in refereeing they is baffling. Call all game the same and at least they will know what to expect...

12 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Its not that fans can't handle playoff game, its the inconsistency in refereeing they is baffling. Call all game the same and at least they will know what to expect...

With the betting coming there will be a system of reviews that will make it more consistent although there will always be judgement calls.

11 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Guess it's rather possible these two teams could meet in the 1st round, in spring. Hmm...

Proud of the boys..played awesome. Well, it's off to the family Christmas party.

Best of the season to all you CDC'ers(& loved ones). It's lookin good guys/gals! :^)

Same to you Naxfan. Enjoy the holiday amigo.

3 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

With the betting coming there will be a system of reviews that will make it more consistent although there will always be judgement calls.

There is zero judgment that was required in the case of the Motte and Jake high sticks 

just simple enforcement of rules that have been on the books since day 1 

Just now, TheGuardian_ said:

Consistency is all we can ask for...

There will always be missed calls or judgement calls, but it seems to be the case, that its the same debate after every game.

I loved the physicality last night. And I like our team to learn, what it takes to win, when it matters ie the play offs.

But I find it frustrating that whats being called in one game is not being called in another... and if fans feels like this I'm sure the players will be even more frustrated.

On a side note, one thing that pleases me no end, is the players don't complain constantly to the refs about calls not going their way. They suck it up and carries on. That bodes well for the future...

2 hours ago, The Beagle had landed said:

Your posts are annoying AF.  It's like you live in a fantasy world where eveything has to be how you want it.  You take an awesome effort by our team and derail the positives with excuses and complaining.

Refs miss calls all the time.  Cheap shots happen all the time.  Concussions will always be a part of contact sports.  If you dont like the way the game is being played go watch something else.

Funny I'm here being positive throughout the GDT and PGT's.  Guess you missed that part.

If "refs miss calls all the time" you might be ok with that but some of us are not.  It's the "professional" hockey league, not bush league. 

I like the way the game is being played.  I don't like how it's being officiated.  And I'll continue to watch and comment despite that.

Sorry if you find me annoying.  Probably not going to change, but it is duly noted.   There's an ignore button for that so I suggest you use it.  Rather than being inflammatory and going on the attack with AF stuff.  Unnecessary.

Your posts are annoying AF.  It's like you live in a fantasy world where eveything has to be how you want it.  You take an awesome effort by our team and derail the positives with excuses and complaining.

Refs miss calls all the time.  Cheap shots happen all the time.  Concussions will always be a part of contact sports.  If you dont like the way the game is being played go watch something else.

If we're not to accept mediocrity from our players why should we accept it from officials. “They miss calls all the time” is not a legit excuse for garbage officiating. 

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

This team needs to dole out the brutality first. Douchebags like Martel and Schiefle need to be blindsided by Gudbranson and/or Virtanen. Maybe then those idiots will think twice about making gutless hits. 

We know how that ends though...suspended, 10-20 games.

It would level things out, for sure, though.  Eye for an eye if the refs aren't using theirs.

Speaking as annoying that would be you 

this is a forum meaning you get all kinds of opinions 

if you are too immature to accept that then get lost, we won’t miss you 

Archived