The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Eriksson for Lucic

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Eriksson is terrible this year, but he's still not as bad as Lucic. I'll keep Loui, thanks.

Buy low sell high?

Edmonton is deeper on the left side than we are and so Lucic has been relegated to the 4th line over there.  He’d get more ice time and opportunity here.  

In an Eriksson for Lucic deal, maybe we can nab some picks from Edmonton to even things out a bit.

6 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Buy low sell high?

Edmonton is deeper on the left side than we are and so Lucic has been relegated to the 4th line over there.  He’d get more ice time and opportunity here.  

In an Eriksson for Lucic deal, maybe we can nab some picks from Edmonton to even things out a bit.

This is a case of buy low sell low. Eriksson is playing the worst hockey of his career right now. It'd be smarter to wait until he actually gets his game going again like last year and then trade him (we'd still have to get past his NTC though).

3 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

I think Lucic has mentally checked out of Edmonton.  

Give him a fresh start in a new environment, and maybe you revive him.  

Lucic has put in a lot of hard miles over his career in both the regular season and playoffs.  He was also never the fastest or the most well conditioned guy in the room, and all that is starting to catch up to him in the new NHL.  He might have one last solid playoff run in him, but i wouldn't expect much from him in the regular season.

He'll collect his salary quietly and disappear into the Alberta sunset.

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

This is a case of buy low sell low. Eriksson is playing the worst hockey of his career right now. It'd be smarter to wait until he actually gets his game going again like last year and then trade him (we'd still have to get past his NTC though).

Ha!  Right.  When did that happen?

what you see is what you get.

“little millions”

Few more thoughts about Lucic:

1) Even if his game has declined to the point of no return, he’s still one of the toughest guys in the league......and he’s a guy that can protect Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, etc.

2) As useless as Lucic has been in Edmonton, Eriksson isn’t too far behind here in Vancouver.  Given that opposing teams are starting to take liberties with EP, etc, I would argue that Lucic would be more valuable to us than Eriksson.

3) The passing of Lucic’s father + being surrounded by family and friends.

Someone mentioned this earlier, but Lucic hasn’t really been the same since his father died in 2015.  What if you gave Milan a fresh start in a familiar environment where he’d be surrounded by family and friends?

Milan Lucic seems like a guy that is dedicated to his craft when he’s feeling good.   If he’s traded to Vancouver, maybe he can drop some weight in the off season and work on his skating.......similar to what Jarome Iginla did when he approached his 30’s and wanted to transition from a pure power game into a faster more versatile player.  

Elias Pettersson is only going to get better from here, while some hockey pundits have labeled Quinn Hughes as being on par with Rasmus Dahlin.  If the Canucks make the playoffs within these next few years, these kids will be targeted physically by the Tom Wilson’s and Brad Marchand’s of this league.  That’s where a guy like Lucic comes in even if he’s lost his game.  

If Lucic doesn’t work out in Vancouver however, you can expose him to Seattle.

46 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

If Lucic doesn’t work out in Vancouver however, you can expose him to Seattle.

Lucic will need to be protected, when Seattle enters the league as part of his NMC.

LE is a better overall player than Lucic.

If we are talking about Pettersson/Brock/Hughes protection they should go after a guy like Ferland.  He can hit,skate, put up points at a top 6 rate, and is capable of holding his own vs most of the tougher players in the NHL. A unique combo for a guy that can play on your top 2 lines and contribute.  Not sure what it would take to get him as a UFA, probably an over payment, but paying a little extra to toughen up the top 6 may be worth it.

8 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Buy low sell high?

Incorrect. Lucic has been relegated to he 4th line because as of Dec 18th, 2018:

Past 80 games. 100 shots. 2 goals.

Chia would have to add if they want us to take Lucic and his horrible contract.

Lucic and Puljujarvi

Eriksson and Sutter

EDM gets their secondary scoring and improved faceoffs, PK and forechecking

VAN gets a "protector" for all the young superstars on the way, and a lethal RWer with size and speed for Horvat's line.

I can’t see Canucks taking on lucic.... but what about the flames?  Neal has not worked out at all in Calgary. Only four goals in 43 games this year. Their contracts are near identical. 250k apart with same term left. Both guys look like they could use a fresh start. 

Lucic could give flames a bit more muscle for a playoff run this year. Where Neal (if they could get him going) could provide some needed secondary offense. 

I think flames would expect a little bit more perhaps a pick but it could make sense for both teams. 

27 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Lucic and Puljujarvi

Eriksson and Sutter

VAN gets a "protector" for all the young superstars on the way, and a lethal RWer with size and speed for Horvat's line.

I like this trade, from our POV.  I'd play Milan with Petey for the rest of the season.  Petey is fabulous I bet he bounces 10 in off Milan's butt before season's end.  Pool Party I'd send down to Utica.  

19 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Guy has cement blocks for feet. Let Edmonton enjoy trading Hall and thinking Lucic was a good replacement.

Lucic seems to have cement between his ears too.  We used to call Dave Semeko  (RIP) "Cement Head".  Maybe it's an Oiler thing?

I’ve read all the comments in this thread.....good responses.

One final question for you guys:

Do you think Lucic can reinvent himself in the off season?  For instance - dropping his weight and working on his skating.   If memory serves me correctly, Jarome Iginla did this as well.  

When we saw what Bo Horvat did a few years back.  If Lucic comes to Vancouver, maybe management can introduce Milan to Bo’s skating coach in the offseason.

Maybe I’m crazy for thinking this, but if Lucic can become 25-30% faster while still retaining 90-95% of his toughness, you’d have a pretty damn good hockey player and protector on your hands.

Again - being surrounded by friends and family in Vancouver can help Milan get a little bit of his heart back.  Losing your father is a very difficult thing obviously.  

Combine all all of the above, with Milan Lucic and the city of Vancouver repairing a damaged relationship, and it makes for a pretty good storybook ending.......I dunno.

Finally - as I mentioned earlier, trading Eriksson for Lucic would also likely end up with Edmonton giving us a draft pick (or picks) to even out the deal......which is obviously important for a rebuilding team like us.

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Playoff Team

Lucic - Pettersson - Boeser

Leivo - Horvat - Puljujarvi

Not a Playoff Team

Leivo - Pettersson - Boeser

Baertschi - Horvat - Goldobin

Puljujarvi won't be making any team playoff contenders right now. Can't score with McDavid or Draisaitl so not sure what makes you think he will just slot into the 1st line here? He's been ruined by the Coilers. It's so bad that there is rumours that they want him to be a checker.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Lucic and Puljujarvi

Eriksson and Sutter

Erikson, as bad as he is, is still better than Lucic and Puljuarvi combined. No way do I add Sutter to that deal. In fact I don't even do a 1 for 2 swap.

Archived