The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Eriksson for Lucic

With McDavid, RNH, and Draisaitl in Edmonton, it’s not inconceivable to believe that Eriksson could jumpstart his offensive game down there.  Unlike Lucic, Eriksson is a half decent skater that plays a 200 foot game.

In Lucic, the Canucks get a guy that can protect Pettersson, Boeser, Quinn Hughes, and some of our other upcoming scrawny yet talented stars.   Yes - paying 6 million for what would essentially be a glorified goon would be a lot, but a few things:

1) The Canucks are in dire need of team toughness, and in dire need of a guy that can protect our young stars.

2) Canucks need more help on left wing than they do on the right side.  

20 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

With McDavid, RNH, and Draisaitl in Edmonton, it’s not inconceivable to believe that Eriksson could jumpstart his offensive game down there.  Unlike Lucic, Eriksson is a half decent skater that plays a 200 foot game.

In Lucic, the Canucks get a guy that can protect Pettersson, Boeser, Quinn Hughes, and some of our other upcoming scrawny yet talented stars.   Yes - paying 6 million for what would essentially be a glorified goon would be a lot, but a few things:

1) The Canucks are in dire need of team toughness, and in dire need of a guy that can protect our young stars.

under what reasonable hockey knowledgeable view

do you see 2 goals in the entire 2018 year of hockey lucic

with an even with a worse (1 year longer) contract then loui

and who is clearly performing even poorer then loui

as an asset that we should be trading straight across for loui

i'd expect at the very least an add on and / or salary retention

but lucic really is not productive .  so it would take a fair bit to trade loui for him

and seriously

i cannot think off the top of my head

any other nhl player i would not trade loui straight across for

but lucic is the one player i clearly would not

Lucic 1-7-8 -10.......I believe he scored tonight  $6M until 22-23, NMC until 20-21, NTC w/ short list after that

Eriksson 7-9-16 -10 $6M until 21-22 NTC until 19-20 after 15 team list

So neither can be traded unless they want to be and both have contracts that are heavily bonus based so buy outs are futile.  Both are bleak.  Lucic's is one year longer and his production is much worse and he's slower.

7 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

under what reasonable hockey knowledgeable view

do you see 2 goals in the entire 2018 year of hockey lucic

with an even with a worse (1 year longer) contract then loui

and who is clearly performing even poorer then loui

as an asset that we should be trading straight across for loui

i'd expect at the very least an add on and / or salary retention

but lucic really is not productive .  so it would take a fair bit to trade loui for him

and seriously

i cannot think off the top of my head

any other nhl player i would not trade loui straight across for

but lucic is the one player i clearly would not

Seabrook!

50 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Lucic has not been protecting McDavid. Why would he protect our young guys?

In Lucic we'd get one of the worst contracts in hockey, a dude who's past his prime who can't skate and an anchor we'd have to protect in the expansion draft because that dumbass Chia gave him an albatross contract.

At least Loui can skate and insulate a line defensively.

I'm definitely with you in that we need a heavy weight deterrent to help nudge the team into a pack mentality, but I think there's a very good chance Lucic will be out of this league by the end of next season. I don't know what heavy weight, who can keep up, we might be able to trade for... Maybe a Martin...? Although I would prefer it if he weren't on this team.

(But I would probably come around to it - as would most fans - after Martin sticks up for some teammates)

55 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

I'm definitely with you in that we need a heavy weight deterrent to help nudge the team into a pack mentality, but I think there's a very good chance Lucic will be out of this league by the end of next season. I don't know what heavy weight, who can keep up, we might be able to trade for... Maybe a Martin...? Although I would prefer it if he weren't on this team.

(But I would probably come around to it - as would most fans - after Martin sticks up for some teammates)

A little birdie told me Milan will be done with the oilers by end of next season but he will waive him NMC to go to Seattle. Mark my words ;) 

2 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Lucic has not been protecting McDavid. Why would he protect our young guys?

I think Lucic has mentally checked out of Edmonton.  

Give him a fresh start in a new environment, and maybe you revive him.  

The way Pettersson has been treated by opposing teams without adequate repercussion is a big concern to me.   With the diminutive Quinn Hughes slated to arrive next year as well, the Canucks need someone that will deter opposing players from mistreating our stars.

No player would even dare fart the wrong way in Petterrsson’s direction if a motivated Lucic was here.

Lucic may may be slow as molasses now, but put him in situations where he can be of use to us.  Park him in front of the net on power plays.  

IF the Canucks are pegged to go past the first round in the playoffs at some point within these next few years with Pettersson, Quinn Hughes, and our 2019 1st from this coming year all on ELC’s, then you’ll need a guy like Lucic for playoff hockey.  

Archived