The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Tanner Kero

-Vintage Canuck-

13 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

If I'm not mistaken and if Horvat is healthy for Friday, all the Canucks need to do to meet the 23-man limit is to designate Kero for waivers and assignment to the Comets the next day.  This is a good precautionary measure if Horvat is banged up, gives the Canucks options since Utica to Vancouver is a long way to go, and perhaps shows Kero that his good play is valued and appreciated.  Hoping that Horvat is not hurt.

Other than the waivers, it's basically this IMO.

Precautionary in case either Horvat/Pettersson can't play/practice, a bit of a 'thank you and good work in Utica' and leaves Gaudette down practicing and playing where he should be rather than yo-yo'd up and down to not even play.

6 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Kero has been with Utica all year and plays the same system. 

Really nit picking here eh? You trying to argue that kero is more familiar with this org. Than gaudette? 

At the end of the day it was kero recalled but I still believe it would have been gaudette considering he's played with these players and this coach in this arena all year. 

13 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Really nit picking here eh? You trying to argue that kero is more familiar with this org. Than gaudette? 

At the end of the day it was kero recalled but I still believe it would have been gaudette considering he's played with these players and this coach in this arena all year. 

System is the same and Kero has more than earned his shot. So no nit picking. 

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Or could be we're rewarding his good play with nhl pay for a day.

I really don't think this is how the team thinks when calling anyone up, "Hey, good work down there. Come on up for a day and make some big boy money, even though it doesn't fit with our needs. You earned it."

2 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I really don't think this is how the team thinks when calling anyone up, "Hey, good work down there. Come on up for a day and make some big boy money, even though it doesn't fit with our needs. You earned it."

Especially when said player makes the same amount in the AHL as in the NHL. 

2 hours ago, Baer. said:

Everybody saying why not call up Gaudette?

Other guys deserve a shot too. Kero has NHL games under his belt and has easily been one of Utica's top 3 forwards so far this year.

He's also the less likely to be claimed off of waivers when he's eventually sent back down.  Good asset management (minimizing chances of losing an asset while making sure you have insurance in case Horvat is out for any length of time (assuming he's the guy that is hurt).

8 minutes ago, Aladeen said:

Especially when said player makes the same amount in the AHL as in the NHL. 

Absolutely. And I hope some posters don't get me wrong, as I do think they like to reward players by giving them some time with the big club, but there is always a main organizational need that gets met first - the reward is always secondary.

7 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He's also the less likely to be claimed off of waivers when he's eventually sent back down.  Good asset management (minimizing chances of losing an asset while making sure you have insurance in case Horvat is out for any length of time (assuming he's the guy that is hurt).

Unless something drastic happens he won't be up more than 10 games/30 days so no need for waivers anyway. 

1 hour ago, Archie the grim said:

This sounds like a situation where it would be benificial if the farm team was local. Instead of of across the continent and in a different country 

Benning and others have stated multiple times that having the farm team in Utica allows our prospects more time to practice and less time travelling which is better for their development.

Personally I would not want our prospects playing locally to avoid the media and fan scrutiny that would come with it and ruin their confidence.

Obviously it would be nice to see our prospects up close, but having them in Utica is an ideal situation for the players and management.

Just now, Chip Kelly said:

26 year old.....  "Kid".

I think Kero is considered a vet, when playing for Utica, so he takes one of those 5 spots allowed down there.  Maybe the Canucks are seeing what they have in him?  If he shows well, they will keep him; if not they let him go after this season?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I think Kero is considered a vet, when playing for Utica, so he takes one of those 5 spots allowed down there.  Maybe the Canucks are seeing what they have in him?  If he shows well, they will keep him; if not they let him go after this season?

Doubt it. He is not a prospect (23 or under).

Not really a young player (18-25).

Probably closest to classify him as a journeyman/minor leauger/ young veteran.

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Not a veteran.  It's the amount of pro-games at the start of the season and he had less than 260 between the AHL/NHL.

Archived