The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Oilers fire GM Peter Chiarelli

Sorry Edmonton it's too late.  You are in cap purgatory, you have no defence and no goaltending, no secondary scoring, you have some of the worst contracts in the league (Milan Lucic), and your City sucks.  Plus your uniforms are kinda ugly as well.  You will need at least 5-7 years for a proper rebuild and at least 4 first overall picks to be competitive again.  And one of those first overall picks must be a generational talent...

Edmonton Oiler fans: "Things can't get any worse can they?"

Craig McTavish: "Hold my beer"

2 minutes ago, WalkWithElias40 said:

They should call up Spooner and Rattie and send down Puljii and Yams

Spooner and Rattie are still with the team.  It wasn't the plan to assign them.  Hitch says they are on "competitive notice" but will stay with the team.

not gonna lie.  I went fishing for the Oilers Hire Chiarelli thread to dredge up some old memories.  There were some beauty quotes about how the Oilers got the better man from the Bruins and the Canucks got...the guy who traded Seguin and such

Would have made for fun reading.

Shame about the mighty Oil though, maybe...maybe if they win the first overall pick this year it will help turn the franchise around?

:bigblush:

Seriously...the Oilers still haven't figured this out yet? Their development coaching at all levels is absolute trash. How can so many good picks flop like they have year after year after year? You can throw another GM and coach in there, and they'll just take the blame in another 4 or 5 years again. Dubnyk, Paajarvi, Schultz (signed, not picked), Yakupov, Reinhart(traded for), Pulujarvi. I saw Pulujarvi in Penticton and he was other worldly. Kyle Connor was also in that tourney and he was barely the right side of meh. Now he's awesome for Winnipeg and Pulujarvi is on his last legs with Edmonton. Nuge hasn't even become the player he had the potential to be when he was drafted. Neither has Darnell Nurse. Like, is no one seeing the pattern, here? You can argue some of them were already lost causes, but that's too many gifted players who have gone by the wayside to be a coincidence.

The only players who seemed to develop were ones with natural talent like Hall and McDavid. Eberle developed well because he spent all his time in Jr before jumping right to Edmonton. Staying as far away from their coaches as possible. 

Whomever they got in Bakersfield and whomever else is in player development need to get canned immediately.

The league changes so much from year to year that a team that is deem doomed could turn around and make "experts" drop their eyeballs because young players stepping up their game which leads to improved offence, defence or goaltending or all 3. Or an unexpected break-out season for a certain player could totally chang e the rankings of a team. Two years ago in 2017, everyone thought the Canucks were doomed. Virtanen and Juolevi were already labeled as busts by "experts", we fail to win the draft lottery and drop back to 5th spot again. The 2017 draft was seen as a "weak-draft" with no "generational talent" and the best you can hope for picking in the 5th slot is to get a 2nd line player. At the draft we drafted a kid name Elias Pettersson and a lot of so called "experts" and "fans" lamented on Jim Benning for the pick. The skinny Swedish kid they drafted would be a "minimum 3 years away" from being NHL ready and some idiots online even said that they don't see Pettersson ever even get to play a game in the NHL (those were just extremist, haters and trolls). Before the start of the 2017-18 season, the Canucks were seen as a team with no elite prospects (Boeser at the time was just considered as a sniper, goal-scorer but not elite). Horvat was told that he is a 2nd line center at best. Markstrom was consider questionable as a starting goalie. Sedins were still counted on to produce offense. This team is doomed for the next decade. We were considered to be the joke of the league.

Fast forward 2 years later:

- Elias Pettersson + Brock Boeser is considered to a one of the most dominant dynamic duos for years to come.

- Horvat just keep stepping up his game.

- Quinn Hughes is added to the prospect pool and the blue line is starting to show signs of improvement atleast from prospect stand point

- Markstrom is on a great run and is slowly playing himself into that #1 goalie position.

- Demko's time in the AHL did him wonders and now he is backing up Markstrom on the Canucks.

- Other prospects we have in the system include Adam Gaudette (Hobey Baker winner), Jonathan Dahlen (SWE-1 League MVP), Michael DiPietro and many more.

- The same "experts" who said the Canucks are doomed 2 years ago are now making rankings on the Canucks to potentially be one of the biggest team on the rise.

Go back 2 years before the start of the 2017-18 season. The Oilers were considered a team that is trending the right way. Talbot would be their #1 goalie. McDavid is just going to keep getting better. Draisaitl is going to be a greand 2nd punch and him and McDavid will be the new 2 headed-monster to rival Crosby+Malkin. Everything was perfect in Oilers land and their fans took it to our faces (so annoying). The conversation over the summer of 2017 was, could we see a Stanley Cup in Edmonton in the next 3 years? Would we see an all Canadian Finals between Edmonton and Toronto? At the summer of 2017, if you were to ask which team is trending at a better direction, Edmonton or Vancouver, almost everyone in the hockey world including most of us here on this board will probably say Edmonton. Two years later, I think most people right now will say Vancouver.

I personally don't get too hyped up when a team does well one season and don't get too down for a team when they don't do as well one year. Because, an off-season and a few moves and a couple of young players stepping up their game, we would be talking about a completely different view point the following year.

My overall point of this is, as much fun as it is to poke fun at the current turmoil at the Oilers situation (don't get me wrong, I have given upvoted to a lot of these memes and funny contents I saw here making fun of the Oilers situation), we have to think ahead that maybe, just maybe those Oilers would not be the joke of the league much time sooner. Karma clearly bit those Oilers fans quick as 2 years later, they are the joke of the League... AGAIN! I do not want this to happen to us.

Right now, we are trending the right way and they aren't, but a lot of unexpected stuffs could happen in the next 2 years. I sincerely hope that the Canucks continue to trend the right way and keep building developing this team properly. As for the Oilers, let's make it their mangement and fan bases' problem.

Whatever.

They still have the old boys' club which IMO are the ones pulling the strings as Chiapet was acting as a puppet. Oilers are stuck with this nightmare management team until Darryl Katz dies. As long as the owner Darryl Katz is still there, nothing will change.

3 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

He stepped down in September...though it's very unlikely he'll go to Edmonton.

He's still under contract through the season in an advisory role. However, see my post a few up as to why he wouldn't go to that $&!#hole regardless. 

Archived