The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Griffin Reinhart (Cam Barker 2.0?)

All this Edmonton talk makes me reflect on the trade for Griffin Reinhart. So what happened? 4th overall in 2012. Was it a weak draft for defensemen? 

Did he not translate into NHL or even AHL success? He will be 25 tomorrow. Is it they expect him to be more physical? More skilled? 

Willie Mitchell never ran up the scoresheet but he was a reliable stay at home defence man. 

Was it just one of those things he jus can't adjust to the NHL game?  Does he have skating issues? Can't score on an empty net his hands are so bad? 

You'd think someone 6'4" and 214 lbs would find a niche by now? 

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

All this Edmonton talk makes me reflect on the trade for Griffin Reinhart. So what happened? 4th overall in 2012. Was it a weak draft for defensemen? 

Did he not translate into NHL or even AHL success? He will be 25 tomorrow. Is it they expect him to be more physical? More skilled? 

Willie Mitchell never ran up the scoresheet but he was a reliable stay at home defence man. 

Was it just one of those things he jus can't adjust to the NHL game?  Does he have skating issues? Can't score on an empty net his hands are so bad? 

Actually Willie Mitchell put up some solid offensive numbers in the BJSL (last season in junior) before he was drafted by New Jersey.  Then he got caught up in the Jacques Lemaire church of the boring stifling defensive hockey and became a solid defensive defenseman.  

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Actually Willie Mitchell put up some solid offensive numbers in the BJSL (last season in junior) before he was drafted by New Jersey.  Then he got caught up in the Jacques Lemaire church of the boring stifling defensive hockey and became a solid defensive defenseman.  

That's my point, Willie was able to find a niche...what happened to Reinhart?

I wouldn't compare the 2 too much besides the fact that neither were blessed with good foot speed.

Barker actually had a solid start to his career including a 40 point season. Played 310 games in the show. I think his downfall was more so to do with being a raging alcoholic than anything else. 

Reinhart on the other hand appears to just not be good enough and/or over hyped (in terms of a #4 overall pick). 

Probably foot speed?  The age of the hulking, immobile D-man who can't move the puck is a thing of the past, it's a skater's league now.

Ever wonder how we ended up with Luke Schenn, whose reputation certainly precedes him, only to have him assigned straight to Utica??

1 minute ago, Phil_314 said:

Probably foot speed?  The age of the hulking, immobile D-man who can't move the puck is a thing of the past, it's a skater's league now.

Ever wonder how we ended up with Luke Schenn, whose reputation certainly precedes him, only to have him assigned straight to Utica??

Schenn was already playing in the AHL since the start of the season, so we didn't really "assign" him. He just stayed down there. Foot speed definitely an issue with all 3. However, Barker was playing and had his downfall before the massive shift change into softness and pure speed.

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

That's my point, Willie was able to find a niche...what happened to Reinhart?

He didn’t get enough DNA from his dad?:P

Now his dad!  Much as I HATE heaping praise on a player who played most of his career as a stinking Flame...even a guy on his last legs was able to carry THIS team for a short period of time.  The Flames were looking to do Paul Reinhardt a favour by letting him play for another team ( they felt he didn’t have much gas left in the tank).  They dealt him to us - a pretty blech team that couldn’t possibly hurt them.  It almost backfired on them as we took those Flamers to a 7th game in OT!  If not for those no good refs letting Otto score an illegal goal in OT, we might’ve advanced in that post season.  YES, that was the year the Flamers won their only cup.

Most guys improve after they get drafted. For whatever reason Reinhart got worse each year in the WHL and by the time he went pro wasn't NHL calibre. 

36 points in 58 games are great numbers for a draft eligible dman with size. 21 points in 45 games in a D+2 draft year isn't very good.

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Interesting fact, Griffin Reinhart is only one of two defenseman drafted in the top 5 overall that never saw a game of NHL action in his first 3 seasons of nhl eligibility. 

Two issues I can smear is 

Cam Barker was a 2004 3rd overall draft pick in the dead puck era. If the NHL didn't change Cam would've been a superstar of that era. 

Griffin is a Snow draft.. that's all that is needed to be said. 

And Willie was a dead puck era Defenseman he was able to stay afloat in the NHL as it transitioned by great goalies in Quick and Luongo. 

7 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Interesting fact, Griffin Reinhart is only one of two defenseman drafted in the top 5 overall that never saw a game of NHL action in his first 3 seasons of nhl eligibility. 

Soooo...if OJ doesnt play a game this year does that make him the third guy to do this?  Guess he will be.

8 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

6 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Juolevi to be the next?

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Beat me too it.

Assume the first quote is referencing Thomas Hickey ? 441 games played and still more to come ! Not really a relevant statistic/ fact !

57 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Soooo...if OJ doesnt play a game this year does that make him the third guy to do this?  Guess he will be.

Yes, Reinhart and Hickey(whose name escaped me in a drunken haze).

But the point I was trying to make, is that the Canucks aren’t the only ones who have ever drafted a bust with a top 5 pick. It happens. Maybe things will turn around and Joulevi will have a solid 400-500 game nhl career who knows? 

6 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Yes, Reinhart and Hickey(whose name escaped me in a drunken haze).

But the point I was trying to make, is that the Canucks aren’t the only ones who have ever drafted a bust with a top 5 pick. It happens. Maybe things will turn around and Joulevi will have a solid 400-500 game nhl career who knows? 

Labelling Juolevi a bust is a tad ridiculous as he was playing very well before injury. 

Archived