The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Erik Gudbranson to Penguins for Tanner Pearson

HerrDrFunk

On 3/9/2019 at 12:35 AM, filthycanuck said:

Benning already looks bad even when McCann was with the Panthers. At least Jared was able to stay relatively healthy and contributed in spurts. Even if Gudbranson/McCann cancel each other out, we still lost the trade with Benning also throwing a 4th rounder the other way. Terrible deal that didn't need to be made

this one is news to me, as McCann did very little for the Panthers.  Yes the exact same could be said for Gudbranson.  McCann was a centre for us coverted to Winger in Florida, nothing seem to have worked for him.  He was streaky as hell not a 3rd line player.  He is now playing pretty well in Pittsburgh, well yea.... it's Pittsburgh.

Gudbranson's ice time, every game points to the direction as a number 4 dman.  every game 3 other dmans will have more ice time, and this is also without Letang.

so except Gudbranson to be a bottom pairing guy when returns.

• Cheers 1

just watched the 2nd period and onwards of the Pittsburgh vs Boston game.  first off one heck of a game.  Both teams are legit contenders if you ask me. 

focuses primarily on Gudbranson, here are my thoughts.

His game is relatively the same way he's been playing here.  Not much to see, I don't think he is a better dman here then he was in Vancouver, different team, different environment, he's on a cup contender, with Vancouver he was on a rebuilding team.

He didn't do very much offensively ironically he is a plus 2 tonight, one of it is on the empty net, from what I noticed is that, majority of Bruins better chances came when Gudbranson was actually on the ice, I kid you not.  Of course the Burins were able to make stuff happen against their other dmans, didn't notice much of Gudbranson out there in the offensive zone.  He is very sheltered like he is in Vancouver (he will be out there with the Pettersson line half the time) in Pittsburgh he can be with the Crosby line or the Malkin line.  Offensively inept.  showed some grit, same Gudranson he was in Vancouver just on a much faster team.  via NHL.com the last 3 games he played, his ice time represents a the 4th highest among dmans, tonight it was actually 5th lowest, this is also Kris Letang being injured.  If and when he comes back except Gudbranson to be a bottom pairing guy for the Pens. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, coryberg said:

If you want to live in the now... McCann (4 years of hanging on to a 4th line role) , and Rasmus Asplund (not even a .5ppg player in the AHL) and Jonathan Ang (great beer league player).

Go back further... what's keslers current value? Anahiems 2019 1st and 2nd for a sucker's 7th?

How do you even post this garbage?

lol why are you so mad? Are you Benning's son or superfan? Stop insulting me and have some respect. I posted facts which you obviously dont agree with. Great, post your own opinion. Get some class, lol. 

8 hours ago, Drakrami said:

lol why are you so mad? Are you Benning's son or superfan? Stop insulting me and have some respect. I posted facts which you obviously dont agree with. Great, post your own opinion. Get some class, lol. 

Drakrami be like....Typing-troll.gif

• Haha 3

On 3/8/2019 at 3:54 AM, flickyoursedin said:

Starting to think Pittsburgh won that McCann for Gudbranson trade lol somehow both found there way to Pittsburgh and playing well.

Good point, but seriously I would actually take Pearson over McCann or Guddy. 

19 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Mccann and a high 2nd turned into Pearson... 

If you go back further, Kesler (in his prime and cap friendly 5mil per year) and a 2nd round pick turned into Sutter, Pearson, and 3rd round pick. 

Sutter Pearson and a 3rd for Kesler and 2nd. 

Looks like a win for JB.

Sutter and 3rd alone are better than Kesler and 2nd. Both on the ice and their contracts. 

Pearson is bonus.  I like Pearson as a player.   

Now hope JB can get rid of Sutter in the off season somehow. 

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 2

Gudbranson is averaging 20 mins a game with +6..I really like toughness Guddy brought...

Look at us against Vegas they were standing around crease and scored 3 goals...Nobody clearing net front...We need to add toughness we have a very very soft D now.......Vegas made are soft D look so bad standing around.....

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, wildcam said:

Gudbranson is averaging 20 mins a game with +6..I really like toughness Guddy brought...

Look at us against Vegas they were standing around crease and scored 3 goals...Nobody clearing net front...We need to add toughness we have a very very soft D now.......Vegas made are soft D look so bad standing around.....

Like some of us have been saying for years.... As soon as you trade Gudbranson, you're looking for someone to replace what he brought.

It's a pity management didn't do a better job to put him in position to succeed here after targeting, acquiring and then extending him. Did he play well here? Not particularly. But he very much had a skill set otherwise desperately lacking from the team and was basically set up to fail here from the start. 

As we can see, when put in a position to succeed (PIT), he's a perfectly capable player. PIT now gets to enjoy his intangibles instead.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Like some of us have been saying for years.... As soon as you trade Gudbranson, you're looking for someone to replace what he brought.

It's a pity management didn't do a better job to put him in position to succeed here after targeting, acquiring and then extending him. Did he play well here? Not particularly. But he very much had a skill set otherwise desperately lacking from the team and was basically set up to fail here from the start.

As we can see, when put in a position to succeed (PIT), he's a perfectly capable player. PIT now gets to enjoy his intangibles instead.

The lice of all headscratcher hockey trades.

With no accountability from our hapless coaching and total disregard for fan emotion or team protection, they pulled this just to look busy, though it appeared

from the first like a lazy fix.  Now its proving so, I hope Guddy's play continues to pile regret upon remorse over Canucks' present vacuous management.

Our coaches wouldn't recognize an intangible, even if it turnipped like an ageing Swede.

13 minutes ago, Mo Grit said:

The lice of all headscratcher hockey trades.

With no accountability from our hapless coaching and total disregard for fan emotion or team protection, they pulled this just to look busy, though it appeared

from the first like a lazy fix.  Now its proving so, I hope Guddy's play continues to pile regret upon remorse over Canucks' present vacuous management.

Our coaches wouldn't recognize an intangible, even if it turnipped like an ageing Swede.

I think it's more a case of cutting their losses (he clearly wasn't fitting here) and needing to clear the roster spot and $4m cap hit to ACTUALLY re-make the D this summer as to why the move was made now.

They fixed (or at least started fixing) the problem they created. I just wish they hadn't cocked it up in the first place.

• Cheers 1

I like how ppl are beating a dead horse over a old trade of Jared and Guddy. 

Let's not forget Jared wanted out of Vancouver because he wanted top 6 minutes and hated being in the coaches dog house.

Removing him helped build our culture from a me perspective to a us mentality on the team. 

Florida hated Jared wanted gone everytime he touched the puck 

But now all of sudden he his on his knees blowing gold he is all of sudden the next coming in the NHL.

Lets wait what he does in the KHL next season. 

On 3/10/2019 at 10:17 PM, Drakrami said:

Mccann and a high 2nd turned into Pearson... 

If you go back further, Kesler (in his prime and cap friendly 5mil per year) and a 2nd round pick turned into Sutter, Pearson, and 3rd round pick. 

Kesler now would be lucky to get you a 5th round pick your point?

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

I think it's more a case of cutting their losses (he clearly wasn't fitting here) and needing to clear the roster spot and $4m cap hit to ACTUALLY re-make the D this summer as to why the move was made now.

They fixed (or at least started fixing) the problem they created. I just wish they hadn't cocked it up in the first place.

'Weisbro' made it pretty clear that's what they're getting a head start on.  But if Edler, Tanev, Stecher, and Hutton are all still here, not sure how much of a "remake" it'll be.  Add in Hughes, maybe a big name UFA?  Certainly took a big hit not being able to get Juolevi into games this year to see where he's at.

• Cheers 1