The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Canucks draft 3rd overall, who do you select?

NHL 2019 draft   

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

58 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If we end up at #3 I wonder what a package of #3 overall, Goldobin and Tanev would get you?  Is it possible to get a young top end right winger for BO?  Who could that be?  

Marner.

I’ll even add in Juolevi.

It's not just that Byram is a really good defenceman. He comes through in the clutch in overtime, power play, he's the engine in the Vancouver Giants. 

It's those qualities I like seeing. He's in on the rush, and first guy back. He's like EP40 but a defenceman. 

As we've seen with teams like Nashville. You can't have enough great defencemen. You can always trade, because the market for d-men is always in demand. 

Please we can't draft for position when picking this high. We got Juolevi when we last did it and so far that hasn't looked good.

We have to take the best player available full stop.  If that's Byram then we absolutely take him. But I'm not sure.

8 hours ago, ABNuck said:

One more option for a top 6 RW...and I know this won't be popular but...

Our 3 O/A to TML for Willy Nylander. Helps them save face / free up capspace for Marner and get a top pick...helps us get a legit top 6 RW.

This would give us a 1-2 punch in our top 6 of Pettersson & Nylander / Horvat & Boeser with Leivo, Baertschi & Virtanen (switch) available to fill out the top 6 on the Left side.

OK...considering the hate for Little Billy on here..go ahead, engulf me in flames...

giphy.gif

Byram.

Typically D men take longer to make it into the NHL.  So I expect him to be with the Canucks in a couple of years.  Canucks will probably be a bottom 5 team again next year providing a high draft pick, hopefully picking  a scoring forward. 

If all the stars align, the Canucks should be competing for playoff spots in 2-3 years with a strong young core.

I think Benning has a decision here...………...

To me it is a question of what is greater...………….#3 or trade down

1. Colorado loses the lottery draft and holds #4 + #11 (gets pushed down)

2. LA loses Lottery draft and holds # 6 + #25 (gets pushed down)

3. Anahiem loses the lottery draft and holes #8 + # 30 (gets pushed down)

4. Rangers want to move up from #7 with an additional #28 (stays the same)

5. Buffalo wants to move up from #8 with an additional #18 (stays the same)

How does Benning see these options? Are they even available?

To me, I wonder if Colorado's and Buffalo picks are not better? (Certainly Colorado's is!)

So is Byram greater than say Krebs/Dach/Cozens/Boldy + Broberg/Robertson/Seider………………. (Buffalo's Picks)

Personally, I would trade down for Buffalo's if it was available...……….but I could be dead wrong

16 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

1. Colorado looses the lottery draft and holds #4 + #11 (gets pushed down)

2. LA looses Lottery draft and holds # 6 + #25 (gets pushed down)

3. Anahiem looses the lottery draft and holes #8 + # 30 (gets pushed down)

To me, I wonder if Colorado's and Buffalo picks are not better? (Certainly Colorado's is!)

So is Byram greater than say Krebs/Dach/Cozens/Boldy + Broberg/Robertson/Seider………………. (Buffalo's Picks)

Personally, I would trade down for Buffalo's if it was available...……….but I could be dead wrong

If a team has two 1st that they are willing to trade, I would think they would try for #1 overall rather than #3.

A lot of what will happen is based on info we don't have...……...

- Is Benning going after Panarin?

- Is Benning going after Karlsson?

- Is Benning going after Myers?

- Is Tryamkin coming back?

- Is Tryamkin coming back early?

- How does Hughes play in his 10 games?

These questions go to answering what happens in two to 3 years...…...And who Benning takes in the draft this summer.

It would be so difficult to pass on Cozens at #3. I get the need for better D though, but Canucks could probably pick up Heinola or Korczak with the 2nd. This would be my current Top 10 BPA:

1. Hughes

2. Kakko

3. Cozens

4. Podkolzin

5. Newhook 

6. Byram

7. Boldy

8. Zegras

9. Turcotte

10. Krebs

(I'm not that big on Dach)

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If we end up at #3 I wonder what a package of #3 overall, Goldobin and Tanev would get you?  Is it possible to get a young top end right winger for BO?  Who could that be?  

1st overall

I'd rather the Canucks get another highly skilled, fast Top 6 forward. Pettersson needs better players to play with and the team needs more scoring. With Hughes and possibly Juolevi coming up next year, (and Pouliot gone), I think the Canucks D will be better. Woo could be here in 1-2 years as well.

I like Newhook actually. I think he's a sleeper pick this year and judging by his blinding speed, phenomenal puck skills, off the charts hockey sense, and that he can score from anywhere, I can see Benning putting him fairly high on his list. More elite speed and scoring please.

11 hours ago, ABNuck said:

I think this draft is a 1-2 or trade type draft. If we draw 3rd O/A we trade for the best prospect available / offered for our pick...somebody out there wants a player available at 3rd, I think that we might be able to benefit from a team that has a couple of top prospects whereby they would like the player available to them at 3rd more than that prospect, where-as the prospect is what we are looking for (R-PMD or RW). What I don't want to become is something like the Oilers where we keep buying lottery tickets on prospects that might not work out, and rather spend it on a prospect that has some higher upside for us. Top Ranked prospects that I believe are better than the 3rd this year:

Tolvanen (RW) - NSH - not likely to get him for 3 O/A...maybe for 2 1st round picks?

Glass (RW) - VGK - they also have depth at RW with Nick Suzuki so they might be willing to move Glass (but I don't think CDC likes him much)

Makar (RD-PMD) - COL - they have Barrie as their top RD and Johnson signed for a few more years (but I'm positive that Makar is the future so not likely to move)

Kyrou (RW) - STL - Tarasenko is signed until the cows come home...and they have Thomas...so Kyrou might be available.

So the most likely available for 3 O/A would be Glass or Kyrou...outside chance that Makar could be got for 3rd O/A plus something else. So Makar for sure I believe will be far better than this year's 3 O/A (value to us) but more likely Glass or Kyrou would be a wash...so would it be worth it? Hmmmm….interesting.

I believe Suzuki is now Montreal property from the Pacioretty trade.

1 hour ago, BPA said:

If a team has two 1st that they are willing to trade, I would think they would try for #1 overall rather than #3.

#1 and #2 are both worth more than two 1sts.

Trading down has its merits. However, I remember being mad at Benning for not trading down at the 2017 draft. But he was worried that he might lose Pettersson, so he didn't. Rumours later showed that NYR were hoping to snag him at #7. Imagine how much it would suck watching Pettersson have this season for another team, because we traded down?

At the time, it wouldn't seem like a big deal to move down a few spots, as the players seem interchangeable. But if Benning & Co. have identified a guy that they think is the top choice, I'd rather just take him at #3 and not risk it to gain a late 1st.

11 hours ago, ABNuck said:

I think this draft is a 1-2 or trade type draft. If we draw 3rd O/A we trade for the best prospect available / offered for our pick...somebody out there wants a player available at 3rd, I think that we might be able to benefit from a team that has a couple of top prospects whereby they would like the player available to them at 3rd more than that prospect, where-as the prospect is what we are looking for (R-PMD or RW). What I don't want to become is something like the Oilers where we keep buying lottery tickets on prospects that might not work out, and rather spend it on a prospect that has some higher upside for us. Top Ranked prospects that I believe are better than the 3rd this year:

Tolvanen (RW) - NSH - not likely to get him for 3 O/A...maybe for 2 1st round picks?

Glass (RW) - VGK - they also have depth at RW with Nick Suzuki so they might be willing to move Glass (but I don't think CDC likes him much)

Makar (RD-PMD) - COL - they have Barrie as their top RD and Johnson signed for a few more years (but I'm positive that Makar is the future so not likely to move)

Kyrou (RW) - STL - Tarasenko is signed until the cows come home...and they have Thomas...so Kyrou might be available.

So the most likely available for 3 O/A would be Glass or Kyrou...outside chance that Makar could be got for 3rd O/A plus something else. So Makar for sure I believe will be far better than this year's 3 O/A (value to us) but more likely Glass or Kyrou would be a wash...so would it be worth it? Hmmmm….interesting.

Suzuki is with the Habs now eh

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

1. Colorado looses the lottery draft and holds #4 + #11 (gets pushed down)

2. LA looses Lottery draft and holds # 6 + #25 (gets pushed down)

3. Anahiem looses the lottery draft and holes #8 + # 30 (gets pushed down)

Very loose rules for the draft I guess? 

Archived