The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Canucks draft 3rd overall, who do you select?

NHL 2019 draft   

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

Yes but we will have 2 firsts and could work towards getting another first if we are creative.   Canucks aren’t anywhere near playoff contenders with probably 6 positions at least in need of upgrading.   Problem is we have the wrong management to get anything creative done.   Best bet is for upper management to be upgraded

Or they’re smart and know if both us and Ottawa are good next year the fans will eat them alive. 

Canucks could pick anywhere from 1st to 15th, depending on how impactful Hughes is and their luck in the lottery. Just having Hughes back there feeding the puck up ice or exiting the zone will help a lot, and I think the PP will be improved. This could also boost Pettersson and Boeser's numbers. Difficult to know what the drafting options are until we know where the Canucks are picking.   

If we have the 3rd best pick, we take the 3rd BPA.  If we have the 4th best pick, we take the 4th BPA.  Trust the scouts who brought us Madden, Woo, Petersson, etc... and hope for the best.  Do not draft for position unless it is exactl 50-50.  Trade only if the player is of equal value but fills a need, ie. Cale Makar.  We need to keep building on our assets not on a specific position.

7 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

If we have the 3rd best pick, we take the 3rd BPA.  If we have the 4th best pick, we take the 4th BPA.  Trust the scouts who brought us Madden, Woo, Petersson, etc... and hope for the best.  Do not draft for position unless it is exactl 50-50.  Trade only if the player is of equal value but fills a need, ie. Cale Makar.  We need to keep building on our assets not on a specific position.

Like trading Woo for Makar?  I don't think I would do that though.  We have Hughes, who is better than Makar in that puck skating D man.  I'd keep Woo over Makar to add the toughness we need on our D.  

37 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Like trading Woo for Makar?  I don't think I would do that though.  We have Hughes, who is better than Makar in that puck skating D man.  I'd keep Woo over Makar to add the toughness we need on our D.  

I am not suggesting any particular trade.  I am saying that, if we pick 6th, for instance and the braintrust thinks that we need a rhd and Colorado would give us Makar for whomever we could take, if the braintrust thinks Makar is equal or superior then pull the trigger.

On 3/13/2019 at 12:12 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks could pick anywhere from 1st to 15th, depending on how impactful Hughes is and their luck in the lottery. Just having Hughes back there feeding the puck up ice or exiting the zone will help a lot, and I think the PP will be improved. This could also boost Pettersson and Boeser's numbers. Difficult to know what the drafting options are until we know where the Canucks are picking.   

So, yes statically this is true, in reality, that is not the fight

15th OA Pick.....So for us to catch the 15th place team...….we have to win 6 games more than phili…….we have to go 6 win and 7 losses to pass where they are now

14th OA Pick.....So for us to catch the 14th place team...….we have to win 5 games more than Ariz…….we have to go 5 win and 8 losses to catch where they are now

13th OA Pick.....So for us to catch the 13th place team...….we have to win 5 games more than Minni…..we have to go 5 win and 8 losses to pass where they are now

12th OA Pick.....So for us to catch the 12th place team...….we have to win 4 games more than Flor……we have to go 4 win and 9 losses to catch where they are now

11th OA Pick.....So for us to catch the 11th place team...….we have to win 4 games more than Colo…...we have to go 4 win and 9 losses to catch where they are now

More interesting is the 4 teams directly above us...……………..

Wednesday, March 13, 2019                             Monday, March 18, 2019

11th OA......Colo with 74 pts in 72 games

10th OA........NYR with 69 pts in 69 games            10th OA........Chi with 73 pts in 71 games  +4 in 2 games

9 th OA...…...Chic with 69 pts in 69 games              9th OA......Edm with 71 pts in 72 games  +2 in 3 games

8th OA...……Buff with 69 pts in 69 games                8th OA......Buff with 71 pts in 72 games  +2 in 3 games

7th OA...…....Edm with 69 pts in 69 games               7th OA......Van with 70 pts in 72 games  +5 in 3 games

6th OA...…….Van with 65 pts in 69 games                6th OA.....NYR with 69 pts in 72 games  +0 in 3 games

5th OA...…….Ana with 65 pts in 71 games                5th OA......Ana with 69 pts in 74 games  +4 in 3 games

So at this point, with us having 13 games left, we play 4 teams that are worse than us and 9 teams better than us......that is a winning record of 4/13 or 8 points out of a possible 26 points or a 31% of possible points....just to stay with our current win/loss we have to win 2 more games, which is 6 win and 7 losses in the final 13 games...…..

My guess is the highest we go is 8th OA, but most likely 6th OA, and then win 1-3rd OA place in the lottery...…

It would be a tossup between Podkolzin and Byram for me.  Podkolzin is a high IQ winger with a great shot, handles the puck very well and has pretty good speed.  He would fill a huge need in our top 6.   Ep/Brock, Bo, Pod would be a good start for out top 6.

I agree with all of the positive comments about Byram in this thread.  He looks like the real deal and would round a out a nice stable of D prospects.  Hughes, Byram, Woo, Juolevi would be one of the best polls of D prospects in the league, and far better than we have ever had.

I really think we could end up with one of these two guys.  Hughes and Kakko go 1-2 most likely.  Dach, Krebs, Cozens, Turcotte,Byram, Podkolzin likely go 3-8 in some order.  I'm not as sold on Boldy, Newhook, or Zegras as some people are.  

14 hours ago, KKnight said:

Byram easily. He plays mistake free hockey, easily could be a 26-28 minute a night guy. He's not as dynamic as Hughes, But man you can't help but be in awe of his game. Always the smart play. Even if it was a difficult play, he always makes it work. Defensively i was very impressed. If we had Byram, Hughes, Woo, Juolevi. This could easily be the beginning of one of the best young d core, we have EVER had. 

I agree. 

Other than getting the number 1 pick, defense still has to be priority one. 

Might look at dropping a couple spots as long as I have good intel that he'll be available at 5 but, other than that, Byram at #3.

Seems like Byram is the majority consenus pick so far. I would love Byram. But if we do get him, I think Juolevi needs to be traded. You can only have so many young dmen on one team, especially on one side. If we get Byram, trade Juolevi.

Now I also think Juolevi is going to be a good player in this league, so I would rather keep him, just not if we have both Hughes and Byram on the left side. If we get Byram, which again, would be AWESOME, I expect Juolevi to be traded by the 20-21 season.

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Many "experts" and pundits have stated that Cale Makar is the best defenseman in the world not currently playing the NHL...not 100% that I agree, but if the AVS said they'd give us Makar for our 3O/A this year I'd be all over that like a Trump supporter on his sister.

On 3/12/2019 at 10:31 PM, ABNuck said:

I think this draft is a 1-2 or trade type draft. If we draw 3rd O/A we trade for the best prospect available / offered for our pick...somebody out there wants a player available at 3rd, I think that we might be able to benefit from a team that has a couple of top prospects whereby they would like the player available to them at 3rd more than that prospect, where-as the prospect is what we are looking for (R-PMD or RW). What I don't want to become is something like the Oilers where we keep buying lottery tickets on prospects that might not work out, and rather spend it on a prospect that has some higher upside for us. Top Ranked prospects that I believe are better than the 3rd this year:

Tolvanen (RW) - NSH - not likely to get him for 3 O/A...maybe for 2 1st round picks?

Glass (RW) - VGK - they also have depth at RW with Nick Suzuki so they might be willing to move Glass (but I don't think CDC likes him much)

Makar (RD-PMD) - COL - they have Barrie as their top RD and Johnson signed for a few more years (but I'm positive that Makar is the future so not likely to move)

Kyrou (RW) - STL - Tarasenko is signed until the cows come home...and they have Thomas...so Kyrou might be available.

So the most likely available for 3 O/A would be Glass or Kyrou...outside chance that Makar could be got for 3rd O/A plus something else. So Makar for sure I believe will be far better than this year's 3 O/A (value to us) but more likely Glass or Kyrou would be a wash...so would it be worth it? Hmmmm….interesting.

I much sooner just draft Byram. 

On 3/12/2019 at 9:54 PM, RL. said:

Trade down if possible to the 5-7 range and recoup some picks or additional prospects and take the BPA at that spot. From what it looks like its a clear cut 1-2, and pretty much an open field from there in the top 10. Then again, if Benning/Judd have their eyes on someone that may not make it down far enough, I trust them to make the call (whether that be Byram or someone else) at #3.

Trading down pretty much commits the team to taking a forward (not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that, it is a team need). I like having the option.

regards,  G.

On 3/12/2019 at 10:51 PM, ABNuck said:

One more option for a top 6 RW...and I know this won't be popular but...

Our 3 O/A to TML for Willy Nylander. Helps them save face / free up capspace for Marner and get a top pick...helps us get a legit top 6 RW.

This would give us a 1-2 punch in our top 6 of Pettersson & Nylander / Horvat & Boeser with Leivo, Baertschi & Virtanen (switch) available to fill out the top 6 on the Left side.

OK...considering the hate for Little Billy on here..go ahead, engulf me in flames...

Nooooooooo

Archived