The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Telus or shaw for cable/internet? Which do you prefer and why?

10pavelbure96

Telus/Shaw  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Had Shaw forever until Telus got Optik in my area. 

Told Shaw I was gonna switch and that Telus had a deal for new subscribers.  Shaw didn't even try to keep me as a customer (even though I was with them for 10+ years).  Dropped them and now with Telus (1 year so far).  I'll see what Telus offers to keep me as a customer when the contract is up. 

Telus failed me (miserably) and so I have cable/internet through Shaw.  Been with them for years now, mostly ok.  When games are messed up I go a little crazy, but their customer service department has deducted $25 off each bill that I've missed a game for recently.  So I'm fairly satisfied with that response.

7 minutes ago, The Sedge said:

Telus usually has the faster plans (and occasionally better pricing) but when it comes to customer service and the overall business model I choose Shaw everyday. 

Telus sends out their con artist sales people door to door, to prey on typically older folks, promising them better service than they have at a better price (usually before even knowing what kind of plan that person is currently on).  Once they get your signature (and they won't leave your door without a signature - good luck getting them to leave info so you can do your own research, they won't), you usually find out months later that there was some "key" detail that sales person left out.  But too late, you're on a 2 year contract now!  

If you can live with a company that preys on seniors (amongst other people) with tactics like I described above, then by all means choose Telus.  Just hope that you never have to call one of their customer service centers.  They have no concept of customer loyalty.  Whether you're a 10 year customer or just signed your contract, prepare to be treated like crap.

Shaw isn't perfect, but they are a much more pleasant company to deal with.  

Yeah.  We had a terrible experience with Telus.  My wife was at the mall.  One of the Telus agent was taking about deals / bundles.   My wife had them send something to my email so that I can review it.  They got her to sign the paperwork ensuring it was just a quote.  Guess what.   When I called them to discuss, they said it was a contract and not a quote.  I argued like hell. Told them they lied to my wife and that I wanted confirmation of the contract is cancelled.

I eventually switched to Telus because it saves me some $$ over a 2 year period (considering Shaw wasn't going to match or do anything at all).

12 minutes ago, Baer. said:

Telus has way better internet. The router Shaw gives you is pure crap. I have it in my living room and I only get 1 bar of wifi in my bedroom which is 20 feet away.

Thing is, it could be something in your home that's creating an issue or interference.  Ours is strong, and it's a 3 level townhouse.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Thing is, it could be something in your home that's creating an issue or interference.  Ours is strong, and it's a 3 level townhouse.

The only thing in my house that gives off a 2.4ghz signal is my wifi so I don't think it's that. It would have to be something outside my house. I've never had this problem with Telus routers. My phone literally disconnects from the wifi and it takes a minute to reconnect.

Edited by Baer.
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Baer. said:

The only thing in my house that gives off a 2.4ghz signal is my wifi so I don't think it's that. It would have to be something outside my house. I've never had this problem with Telus routers. My phone literally disconnects from the wifi and it takes a minute to reconnect.

Get them to send you a new one....might just be defective.

3 hours ago, Baer. said:

Telus has way better internet. The router Shaw gives you is pure crap. I have it in my living room and I only get 1 bar of wifi in my bedroom which is 20 feet away.

You have to buy a decent router and put the crappy combo one in bridge mode.

I cancelled Telus 15 years ago, I guess I still owed them $30 bucks.  Instead of sending me a bill they waited until now and some Credit company says I owed them $140 bucks lol.  #$%^ Telus.

Shaw keeps upping the price, I think I am going to cancel cable after Game of Thrones and see if they lower their price.  I asked if they could install a box in my room and they quoted me $50, I asked if I could get a discount for being a loyal customer and they said that is my discount price:picard:.

I don't know if people are blowing smoke when they tell me their 'deals'  One guy said talk to thier 'loyalty' department.  I suck at haggling, I need to improve my speechcraft.

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

I cancelled Telus 15 years ago, I guess I still owed them $30 bucks.  Instead of sending me a bill they waited until now and some Credit company says I owed them $140 bucks lol.  #$%^ Telus.

Shaw keeps upping the price, I think I am going to cancel cable after Game of Thrones and see if they lower their price.  I asked if they could install a box in my room and they quoted me $50, I asked if I could get a discount for being a loyal customer and they said that is my discount price:picard:.

I don't know if people are blowing smoke when they tell me their 'deals'  One guy said talk to thier 'loyalty' department.  I suck at haggling, I need to improve my speechcraft.

You should do what I'm going to do.  Switch back and forth between the two.  Go with whomever gives you the better deal.  Then repeat every 2 years or whenever the contract is up.

15 hours ago, BPA said:

You should do what I'm going to do.  Switch back and forth between the two.  Go with whomever gives you the better deal.  Then repeat every 2 years or whenever the contract is up.

I do this but with cell phones. 

Back when the Galaxy S9+ came out, Freedom Mobile had a terrible (for them, great for me) plan out where you got the S9+ for free plus a bunch of accessories for free if you signed their 2 year contract and they had their $50 for 10 GB promo on. The phone's face value was worth way more than what the immediate buy out would've been.

So I sacrificed through terrible coverage for a month (Had WiFi at work and at home anyways) and then cancelled my plan. The buyout ended up being around $750. The phone's value at the time was over $1000. 

So since then, I take my phone to different providers and just pick up the sim of whoever has the best deal going. It's no contract, better price plans since I'm "bringing my own phone" and they always waive the $35 connection fee since they want my business. 

It's so nice being able to just keep my phone number so nothing changes. I've gone from Virgin to Fido to Bell back to Fido to Virgin and now Back to Fido. I'm paying $40/month and get 7GB of Data plus unlimited text and calling and voicemail. 

Probably will stick with this for a long time as I don't see anyone being able to beat it. 

• Upvote 2

• 9 months later...

Jebus! Just looked in to Shaw pricing (looking at moving next month and no Telus available in new area) and their prices are :shock:

I've currently got Telus PVR, basic TV + Sports and unlimited, internet 150 for $77+ tax from Telus for the full 2 years. Shaw wants $89 for the first year, $129 for the second and $189 after for the equivalent package (albeit 300 vs 150 internet but I've never been wanting with Telus's 150 service)!

DAFUQ?! 

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Jebus! Just looked in to Shaw pricing (looking at moving next month and no Telus available in new area) and their prices are :shock:

I've currently got Telus PVR, basic TV + Sports and unlimited, internet 150 for $77+ tax from Telus for the full 2 years. Shaw wants $89 for the first year, $129 for the second and $189 after for the equivalent package (albeit 300 vs 150 internet but I've never been wanting with Telus's 150 service)!

DAFUQ?! 

Go to a stall and talk to them, generally they have better prices.  I went with a 3rd party that pulls their internet from Shaw and cut the cable myself just because Shaw only does my area and I wasn't paying the stupid cable prices.

• Cheers 1