The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joe Biden Debates Donald Trump September 29

DonLever

17 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

FB_IMG_1588467679492.jpg

As @inane pointed out in the "gun" thread, memes are a poor and inaccurate representation of the facts....

Joe Biden isn't the "best" the Democrats have got, however he is the most popular, especially among people of color. That fact alone should scare the Trump campaign. (and I'd bet that it does, based on Bone Spurs' attempted extortion of Ukraine)

Lets face it, being the "best" has little do with a candidate being nominated. Were that the case, Donald Trump wouldn't have gotten within a mile of the Oval Office and President Kasich would be neck and neck in the polls with Kamala, Warren or Mayor Pete....

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Who do you think is the creepier candidate chicken?

Reserving judgment until all the pre-election material is in

Joe’s sniffing montage is a pretty damn creepy habit. I don't know if the grandfather feel reasoning will jive. 

Trump is a dick but I don’t know if there are as many ‘caught in the act’ creepy action moments (many of him saying things Im sure) besides the classic picture of him sizing up Ivanka. I suppose part of the reason is Joe has so much material being in public service forever.

9 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

As @inane pointed out in the "gun" thread, memes are a poor and inaccurate representation of the facts....

Joe Biden isn't the "best" the Democrats have got, however he is the most popular, especially among people of color. That fact alone should scare the Trump campaign. (and I'd bet that it does, based on Bone Spurs' attempted extortion of Ukraine)

Lets face it, being the "best" has little do with a candidate being nominated. Were that the case, Donald Trump wouldn't have gotten within a mile of the Oval Office and President Kasich would be neck and neck in the polls with Kamala, Warren or Mayor Pete....

Aw man, why do we get to live in the bizarro world version of politics.  (although my gut tells me Warren wouldn't have been the best choice either...don't get me wrong, there's a lot I like about her, but is someone I'd prefer helping out with policy rather than setting it)

1 minute ago, Chicken. said:

Reserving judgment until all the pre-election material is in

Joe’s sniffing montage is a pretty damn creepy habit. I don't know if the grandfather feel reasoning will jive. 

Trump is a dick but I don’t know if there are as many ‘caught in the act’ creepy action moments (many of him saying things Im sure) besides the classic picture of him sizing up Ivanka. I suppose part of the reason is Joe has so much material being in public service forever.

I guess I knew too many 'creepy' older people when I was kid. Lots of forced kisses and the good old cheek pinches. 

I really haven't been following but I don't hear too much actual sexual assault accusations about Joe. I know there's slow- mo vids trying to paint him as a predator and this Tara Reed story that seems kinda thin so far IMO.

Mean while IMO it is Trump's own words have given him the victory in the Creep-off by a country mile. The Howard Stern show comments, the bus comments, the comments about his own daughter. God, it's not even close. Give DT the Creep Championship Banner to hang the rafters of the WH,  he has earned it. 

• Cheers 4

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I guess I knew too many 'creepy' older people when I was kid. Lots of forced kisses and the good old cheek pinches. 

I really haven't been following but I don't hear too much actual sexual assault accusations about Joe. I know there's slow- mo vids trying to paint him as a predator and this Tara Reed story that seems kinda thin so far IMO.

Mean while IMO it is Trump's own words have given him the victory in the Creep-off by a country mile. The Howard Stern show comments, the bus comments, the comments about his own daughter. God, it's not even close. Give DT the Creep Championship Banner to hang the rafters of the WH,  he has earned it. 

I'm not sure how Cheeto Hitler can be allowed within 500 feet of a school, even in his corrupt hellhole of a country.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Aw man, why do we get to live in the bizarro world version of politics.  (although my gut tells me Warren wouldn't have been the best choice either...don't get me wrong, there's a lot I like about her, but is someone I'd prefer helping out with policy rather than setting it)

It's not just the US. Canada--Trudeau and Scheer. UK--Corbyn and Johnson. It really is bizzaro.

36 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Not a ton of sexual assault allegations for Joe but a complete acknowledgment of ‘inappropriate invasion of personal space’ for a decent number of women. He even apologized for it to get ahead of the pending attack ads in that area.

You're right the personal space entitlement did not always apply back in the day and old creeps were given a pass

Trumps comments are what pull him into the creepy category but in regards to behaviours caught on tape ..

• Cheers 1

An update on the Reade story

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/reade-i-didnt-use-sexual-harassment-in-biden-complaint/ar-BB13wFmm?ocid=spartandhp

"WASHINGTON (AP) — Tara Reade, the former Senate staffer who alleges Joe Biden sexually assaulted her 27 years ago, says she filed a limited report with a congressional personnel office that did not explicitly accuse him of sexual assault or harassment. 

I remember talking about him wanting me to serve drinks because he liked my legs and thought I was pretty and it made me uncomfortable,” Reade said in an interview Friday with The Associated Press. “I know that I was too scared to write about the sexual assault.”

Reade told the AP twice that she did not use the phrase “sexual harassment” in filing the complaint, but at other points in the interview said that was the behavior she believed she was describing. She said: “I talked about sexual harassment, retaliation. The main word I used – and I know I didn’t use sexual harassment — I used ‘uncomfortable.’ And I remember ‘retaliation.’”

Reade described the report after the AP discovered additional transcripts and notes from its interviews with Reade last year in which she says she “chickened out” after going to the Senate personnel office. The AP interviewed Reade in 2019 after she accused Biden of uncomfortable and inappropriate touching. She did not raise allegations of sexual assault against Biden until this year, around the time he became the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee.

The existence of the Senate report has become a key element of the accusations against Biden, which he has flatly denied. Reade says she doesn’t have a copy of the report, and Biden said Friday that he is not aware that any complaint against him exists. He asked the Senate and the National Archives to search their records to try to locate a complaint from Reade.

But Reade is suggesting that even if the report surfaces, it would not corroborate her assault allegations because she chose not to detail them at the time.

According to a transcript of her 2019 interview with the AP, Reade said: “They have this counseling office or something, and I think I walked in there once, but then I chickened out.” She made a similar statement in a second interview with AP that same day, according to written notes from the interview.

On Friday, Reade said she was referring to having “chickened out” by not filing full harassment or assault allegations against Biden. In multiple interviews with the AP on Friday, Reade insisted she filed an “intake form” at the Senate personnel office, which included her contact information, the office she worked for and some broad details of her issues with Biden.

On Saturday, Reade told the AP there may have been a box to check on the form noting a sexual harassment complaint, but she couldn't remember and wouldn't know for sure until she saw the form. Reade also said she canceled a planned television interview with “Fox News Sunday” because of security concerns.

Reade was one of eight women who came forward last year with allegations that Biden made them feel uncomfortable with inappropriate displays of affection. Biden acknowledged the complaints and promised to be “more mindful about respecting personal space in the future.”

During one of the April 2019 interviews with the AP, she said Biden rubbed her shoulders and neck and played with her hair. She said she was asked by an aide in Biden’s Senate office to dress more conservatively and told “don’t be so sexy.”

She said of Biden: “I wasn’t scared of him, that he was going to take me in a room or anything. It wasn’t that kind of vibe.”

The AP reviewed notes of its 2019 interviews with Reade after she came forward in March with allegations of sexual assault against Biden. But reporters discovered an additional transcript and notes from those interviews on Friday.

A recording of one of the interviews was deleted before Reade emerged in 2020 with new allegations against Biden, in keeping with the reporter’s standard practice for disposing of old interviews. A portion of that interview was also recorded on video, but not the part in which she spoke of having “chickened out.”

The AP declined to publish details of the 2019 interviews at the time because reporters were unable to corroborate her allegations, and aspects of her story contradicted other reporting.

In recent weeks, Reade told the AP and other news organizations that Biden sexually assaulted her, pushing her against a wall in the basement of a Capitol Hill office building in 1993, groping her and penetrating her with his fingers. She says she was fired from Biden’s office after filing a complaint with the Senate alleging harassment.

The accusation has roiled Biden’s presidential campaign, sparking anxiety among Democrats. Republicans have accused Biden backers of hypocrisy, arguing that they have been quick to believe women who have accused President Donald Trump and other conservatives of assault. Trump has faced multiple accusations of assault and harassment, all of which he denies.

Reade says she was reluctant to share details of the assault during her initial conversations with reporters over a year ago because she was scared of backlash, and was still coming to terms with what happened to her.

Two of Reade’s associates said publicly this past week that Reade had conversations with them that they said corroborated aspects of her allegation. One, a former neighbor, said Reade told her about the alleged assault a few years after Reade said it happened. The other, a former coworker, said Reade told her she had been sexually harassed by her boss during her previous job in Washington.

The AP has also spoken to two additional people, who spoke on condition of anonymity to protect their families' privacy, who said Reade had told them about aspects of her allegations against Biden years ago.

One friend, who knew Reade in 1993, said Reade told them about the alleged assault when it happened. The second friend met Reade more than a decade after the alleged incident and confirmed that Reade had a conversation with the friend in 2007 or 2008 about experiencing sexual harassment from Biden while working in his Senate office.

___

Thompson reported from Nevada City, California.

__

EDITOR'S NOTE — The headline of this story was changed for clarity and to incorporate a direct quote from Reade. The CP also added material to the story, which details the specific words and examples Reade says she used in a Senate complaint about Joe Biden. The AP is adding the material to reflect that while Reade says she did not specifically use the words “sexual harassment” in the complaint, she says the behavior she was describing amounts to sexual harassment."

One wild card that could hurt Joe's chances is the prospect of a Republican running as an Independent. There's talk of Justin Amash throwing his hat in the ring.

Hopefully, he understands that all this would accomplish is stealing votes from Biden and helping Bone Spurs' chances at re-election.

I haven't been following this democratic race as much as everyone else, but Biden does not seem like a good candidate. This guy is old & from what I've heard/seen not all there.

Trump (rightly, tbh) exploited the health aspect against Hillary. He'll do the same here, as anyone in his position - under the current political game - should. (Trump of all people arguing cognitive health against someone else lmao)

Maybe his policy is a solid middle ground between practical progressive policy & upholding economic strength. But his history being a longer term politician & VP under Obama wont garner the same political passion/momentum Bernie gets from his base for example. (And I say base specifically)

I think Trumps got a real shot at a 2nd term here. But what do I know.

Edited by Smashian Kassian

6 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I haven't been following this democratic race as much as everyone else, but Biden does not seem like a good candidate. This guy is old & from what I've heard/seen not all there.

Trump (rightly, tbh) exploited the health aspect against Hillary. He'll do the same here, as anyone in his position - under the current political game - should. (Trump of all people arguing cognitive health against someone else lmao)

Maybe his policy is a solid middle ground between practical progressive policy & upholding economic strength. But his history being a longer term politician & VP under Obama wont garner the same political passion/momentum Bernie gets from his base for example. (And I say base specifically)

I think Trumps got a real shot a t a 2nd termhere. But what do I know.

I think you are right. The Demos have had 4 years to craft a position other than Trump is a fool and yet they double down on another fool like Biden. Surely to goodness they could have found candidates that actually knew what they were talking about other than the list of idiots they trotted out. There are any number of potential candidates from the business world who could have gone after Trump on his home turf.  

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I think you are right. The Demos have had 4 years to craft a position other than Trump is a fool and yet they double down on another fool like Biden. Surely to goodness they could have found candidates that actually knew what they were talking about other than the list of idiots they trotted out. There are any number of potential candidates from the business world who could have gone after Trump on his home turf.  

The party nomination system seems to be broken.  Heh, I doubt Trump is the best candidate the GOP could trot out either.  Party's can't be scared to go with a relative unknown (Canada is guilty of this too).  How well known was Obama before he first ran for president?

56 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

The party nomination system seems to be broken.  Heh, I doubt Trump is the best candidate the GOP could trot out either.  Party's can't be scared to go with a relative unknown (Canada is guilty of this too).  How well known was Obama before he first ran for president?

Mark Cuban would be a fantastic GOP candidate.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Boudrias said:

They can't craft a different position or policies.  It would mean that they lost fair and square in 2016.... it's 2020 and they're still crying/fighting over spilled milked.  

All the independent voters that voted for Trump were probably waiting for the Democrats to come up with a new game plan... instead the DNC are following the same plan as previously.... except they have been insulting many of the independent voting block, thus pushing them back to Trump.

If the Democrats keeps up wit this tactic, I'd also expect the Republicans to win 2024 as well.  

The only way they will return to power is if the demographic changes rapidly enough in places like Texas to flip it.  Unrestricted illegal immigration would expedite it.  

7 hours ago, Lancaster said:

They can't craft a different position or policies.  It would mean that they lost fair and square in 2016.... it's 2020 and they're still crying/fighting over spilled milked.  

All the independent voters that voted for Trump were probably waiting for the Democrats to come up with a new game plan... instead the DNC are following the same plan as previously.... except they have been insulting many of the independent voting block, thus pushing them back to Trump.

If the Democrats keeps up wit this tactic, I'd also expect the Republicans to win 2024 as well.  

The only way they will return to power is if the demographic changes rapidly enough in places like Texas to flip it.  Unrestricted illegal immigration would expedite it.  

If the Democrats stick With Biden then his choice as VP becomes critical. Choosing that person on the basis of sex or race seems to appeal to progressives but IMHO the most important need is a very capable financial talent. It counters Trump's strength but more important the USA will need very solid financial leadership. I certainly don't see that type of leadership in the failed POTUS contenders nor do I see it in Obama's wife. 

On 5/5/2020 at 12:51 AM, Smashian Kassian said:

I think Trumps got a real shot at a 2nd term here. But what do I know.

Joe has the black vote from what I understand.

That could be the difference.