The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Lucic says he would like to play here

7 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I’m hoping Schaller had some injury nagging him last year because he sucked.

literally.  Actually.  Sucked.

id rather see ZMac any day.

JB sucked too paying him $1.9M a year x 2 without fully assessing our options like Zack M! Motte and Zack would have been a great combo to share one 4th line spot with Beagle and Leivo occupying the full-time spots.

11 minutes ago, riffraff said:

The last 1/3 or so of the season he looked a LOT better IMO. But yeah the first 2/3's definitely doing his best Hoover impersonation. 

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The last 1/3 or so of the season he looked a LOT better IMO. But yeah the first 2/3's definitely doing his best Hoover impersonation. 

He was getting scratched around the latter stages if I recall. Lit a fire a guess.

Edited by riffraff

18 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Totally. Schaller is a floater, just like Eriksson. Having those types of players brings the team down.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Totally. Schaller is a floater, just like Eriksson. Having those types of players brings the team down.

Schaller seems like a guy that might get picked off waivers this year and/or traded once he clears. Someone out east probably still see's him as decent depth, maybe even Boston. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Schaller seems like a guy that might get picked off waivers this year and/or traded once he clears. Someone out east probably still see's him as decent depth, maybe even Boston. 

Especially after losing Acciari.

• Upvote 1

Schaller was good for the first 10 games, then sucked for 60, and finished off strong in the last 10 game stretch to ensure we don’t get a top five pick.  

Dont forget though that Schaller kills penalties, and if we lose both LE and Granlund, then he’s pretty much guaranteed to have the last forward spot.  

Maybe we’ll be able to flip him for a pick if he plays well this year. Easy guy to fit under the cap for a contending team. 

2 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Go look at Hockey Reference to get a better idea on these guys for last season:

Lucic: 259 hits, -9,  20 pts

Eriksson: whopping 3 hits! -11, 29 pts

Now.... I've seen Eriksson lay out tons more bumps than those 3 indicated.. so I'm pretty damn sure when Hockey Reference tells us hits, it's a frigging slam on the body!! 

I love it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

I'm with you too as long as Edmonton will throw in a high enough pick which we can flip to package Sutter to get a top 6 winger!!

I still don't get how so many ppl here still want to hold on to Eriksson who clearly has lost his heart & soul for us.... I said it before, Lucic's PPG and +/- ain't any worse than Eriksson's and Lucic has expressed his interest to come home!! 

What's done is done with the $6M cap hit.... I would rather see Lucic terrorizing opponents than have a Tim Schaller who may or may not show up!!! 

The cap space as of today is $7.7M+.... Boeser's new contract is gonna eat up 90% of it. So, in order for JB to squeeze in salaries for the 23-man NHL roster, he will have to waive Schaller, demote Gaudette and Biega so we can get Leivo and Goldobin barely signed. 

Conclusion: Trading Sutter/Eriksson + picks is a MUST this summer!!!

Trading them this summer isn't a MUST. This is a long summer, there are a lot of teams that are looking to make changes, even when Boeser signs for something around the 7 million mark, we're still fine.

Roussel goes on IR to start the season, and there will be others that go on IR during the season.

Depth isn't a bad thing.

Although I really believe that Eriksson has played his last game in Vancouver due to comments, there's no pressure to trade Sutter. He's had a rough couple of years, but could easily bounce back if he can get a season where he's clean on the injury front.

September camp is still a ways off, let's see who proves that they are ready to be here and that they want to be here.

Even if we had to bury Eriksson and Schaller in Utica, we're still okay for cap space.

I don't think Benning is done yet, but approaching anything with the thought in mind that you MUST do something, closes you off from possible solutions and makes it more difficult to get a fair deal from another team when we do make changes.

Patience, its going to be a fun rest of the summer and a really good season!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

As to trading for LE for M Lucic, I like the possibility. The addition of Myers and Benn on the back end make LE even more redundant than his recent remarks and weak offensive play. 

ML can ride shotgun for our young 'uns and allow our other players to play that much bigger, making the whole team tougher to play against.

ML has roots here, family and friends, that will make him play that much better and that much bigger. 

As I stated before, Edm has to throw in a sweetener and we have all summer to sweat them for a great pick and prospect that we can hope to graduate to NHL ready as ML's contract is done. 

I don't think anyone else is in the position we are in to take on the contract. The nmc doesn't follow with the trade giving more incentive to ML to do his home town proud...

• Upvote 1

I think the fact that Lucic says that he'd like to play here, comes from a deep seeded need to just feel loved and wanting to run back to the safety of home.

He's definitely not loved in Edmonton, although he chose that (thankfully), over Vancouver when he was a UFA.

I think at this point, he'd probably accept trade to any team that promised to love and value him and make him feel all squishy and tingly like....

Sometimes, that's all a player wants and its what they are speaking and acting out for.

:P

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think the fact that Lucic says that he'd like to play here, comes from a deep seeded need to just feel loved and wanting to run back to the safety of home.

He's definitely not loved in Edmonton, although he chose that (thankfully), over Vancouver when he was a UFA.

I think at this point, he'd probably accept trade to any team that promised to love and value him and make him feel all squishy and tingly like....

Sometimes, that's all a player wants and its what they are speaking and acting out for.

:P

I think you’re bang on. 

You can tell by his play last season against us and a team like Calgary.  He took it easy against Vancouver in terms of big hits and fights (he took it easy on the whole league in terms of scoring). Meanwhile he was crushing Calgary Flames at every opportunity he had. 

4 hours ago, grandmaster said:

So divided. There are those that really want Lucic and those that prefer to keep LE. Would be interesting once this trade happens...I will love it! :towel:

I don't think the divide is people who want to keep LE or not.

I think most people want to see LE gone.

Just not at the cost of picking up Lucic and his even worse contract.

Are you from the Canucks PR department and you know something we don't?

39 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Id rather have Lucic than Eriksson but there needs to be some added benefit. EDM had a few nice fwd prospects in Benson & Puljujarvi that are intriguing.

If we could include Sutter/Schaller to free up cap space for another fwd id look at it. 

Edmonton has no cap space so isn't taking on any extra salary.

I doubt Holland sweetens the pot if he is taking LE.

Personally I don't think the sweetener will be worth taking on Lucic.

Not sure why people think this is a good idea.

I think i would rather see Benning add a bit of a sweetener to get rid of Eriksson's contract tbh.

I think of any trade as:

Eriksson plus sweetener for whatever players could be signed with that 6 mil cap space. Still several out there who would make that scenario worth it. 

• Upvote 1

Dude couldn't score playing with the best centre in the NHL! He's old, slow, and expensive. If we're looking for toughness, there's no shortage of it in a younger, cheaper, nastier option. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/3/2019 at 2:02 PM, Silver Ghost said:

I think i would rather see Benning add a bit of a sweetener to get rid of Eriksson's contract tbh.

I think of any trade as:

Eriksson plus sweetener for whatever players could be signed with that 6 mil cap space. Still several out there who would make that scenario worth it. 

disagree, id rather see LE on the 4th line than give up an asset just to get rid of him.  He's still a decent defensive fwd

• Upvote 2