The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Lucic says he would like to play here

42 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Good point. Lucic went through a very difficult personal tragedy while in Edmonton with his father committing suicide.

Combine that with being a father for the first time and being part of a train wreck of an organization, and it’s not hard to believe that just maybe he was having a hard time being focused.  

His father committed suicide before he went to the Oilers.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, shiznak said:

It took me a year to finally feel my mother’s death. Sometimes it doesn’t hit you right away. Grief is not a controllable emotion.

Edited by Me_
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

55 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Yes, but the reported reasons why he wants to come back here specifically surround families issues and trying to be closer.

Presumably related to his family still needing support and going through a tough time.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Oh no! I didn’t know that! That would definitely explain why he slipped in his play. Poor guy should have taken a few months off. I recently lost my dad and it was the most devastating thing I’ve gone through.

To top it off, suicide...that’s just brutal.

My condolences on the loss of your Dad, grandmaster. 

• Thanks 1

I think Loui is a cancer to this team. I think at this point it’s worth it for the Canucks to trade him for Lucic or Neal or basically anyone else struggling around the same cap. Even if it takes a throw in from their side.... maybe a 3rd or 4th. 

But he’s basically bent the Canucks over publicly airing his feelings towards Green.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I think Loui is a cancer to this team. I think at this point it’s worth it for the Canucks to trade him for Lucic or Neal or basically anyone else struggling around the same cap. Even if it takes a throw in from their side.... maybe a 3rd or 4th. 

But he’s basically bent the Canucks over publicly airing his feelings towards Green.

I agree that Loui must go, but at least Loui’s contract allows us to send him to Utica.  Lucic has a full No Move Clause.  He MUST take a roster spot, and he MUST be protected in Seattle expansion.  

I would rather we just send Loui to Utica.  He will likely retire before it ever gets out we are doing that to save his ego.  

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I agree that Loui must go, but at least Loui’s contract allows us to send him to Utica.  Lucic has a full No Move Clause.  He MUST take a roster spot, and he MUST be protected in Seattle expansion.  

I would rather we just send Loui to Utica.  He will likely retire before it ever gets out we are doing that to save his ego.  

He only has a no trade. A no move means that he wouldn’t be able to even be moved to the minors.

6 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

He only has a no trade. A no move means that he wouldn’t be able to even be moved to the minors.

Yup.  No move means literally that.  The Oilers are stuck with Milan on their roster for four more seasons, unless he retires or goes on LTIR.  

I think the idea of entertaining taking on Lucic - if LE were to walk/agree to mutually terminate his contract - probably makes more sense than an LE/Lucic swap (with sweetener).

With no LE involved, it becomes a pure cap dump situation, and still quite importantly for Edmonton, the opportunity to get out from that NMC.

So without LE going the other way, they could be expected to retain a considerable portion, and still lack leverage in a deal.

Lucic at 50% retained for the duration, with the NMC terminated = what is eating that worth?

The question becomes whether the sweetener is worth it, because it is still very debatable whether Lucic, even at 3 million, makes any sense for this franchise.

Is he as effective a player 5 on 5  at this point as a Leivo (imo the 4LW at this point)?

If LE were to agree to mutual termination (highly doubtful but you never know) - then would it be a better use of cap to look at utilizing that elsewhere - ie 2RW - than dividing assets with a 3 miilion 13th man?   Perhaps Lucic regains some form - possible he does, possible he declines even further - but what would/could Edmonton offer that would make that worthwhile?

Spitball:

To Edmonton

Schaller

Goldobin

To Van

Lucic 50% retained duration of term + NMC waived entirely (not just for the trade, but period - it terminates).

Puljujarvi rights (unsigned / RFA).

Benson

As much as people here dislike Schaller and complain about that contract - he is as productive as Lucic,  in harder minutes than Lucic - and by all rights had a 'disappointing' season.

Schaller 3 goals 10 points, -2 in 47 games, 37.6% ozone starts, 47.1% corsi, 14 takeaways/8giveaways+6 - lines up pretty favorably relative to Lucic - and Schaller may not be quite the heavyweight that Lucic (was), but is willing to stand up for his team-mates - is no flyweight himself.   He also comes in at an inconsequential 1.8 cap hit x 1 (that becomes 800k if you waive him).

I still don't really see any incentive in helping Edmonton out with that unless they are opening the lottery bag of theirs and moving us a prospect and a 'hockey trade' for a younger potentially better fit than Goldobin.  

They want to give up on JP and part with Benson, then maybe?  Otherwise, the team might be better off simply being satisfied with the gains in heaviness in the lineup - +Miller+Myers+Benn.

The toughness upgrade that Lucic might bring relative to a Schaller - what is that really worth if neither of them would be able to outcompete Leivo for his roster spot?

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  No move means literally that.  The Oilers are stuck with Milan on their roster for four more seasons, unless he retires or goes on LTIR.  

Or he agrees to waive and terminat that NMC in the process.   That is also a possibility, but they had better be prepared to compensate a team for enabling them to do so.

37 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Just a thought. Can Lucic voluntarily agree to change his no movement clause part of his contract to come here?

You can only get a verbal agreement but you can’t formally ask till January 2021 so between now and then lots could change 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Alf, that NMC would be getting waived as part of the trade.  I mean Lucic would be waiving it to get moved to begin with.  It's not like he'd be demanding from the Canucks to reinstitute the clause after he gets traded.  

Lucic could easily rejuvenate his career with a move, and he's two years younger then Louie.  At the same time I totally understand people's fear with potentially having a 4 year bad contract as opposed to a 3 year bad contract. 

He would have to waive the NMC, not even get a NTC and the Oil would have to sweeten the pot a bit. At least I thought I read it can be dropped by the player as part of the trade, is that not correct? If not then forget it.

Edited by aliboy

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

Just a thought. Can Lucic voluntarily agree to change his no movement clause part of his contract to come here?

yes, it's part of what is negotiated in the process of waiving to be dealt - whether or not it travels / remains in effect with the new club.

At least in this case, in waiving the worst case for Lucic would be to wind up in Seattle = much nicer than Deadmonton, and still close to his family.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Just a thought. Can Lucic voluntarily agree to change his no movement clause part of his contract to come here?

Yes. If he waives his nmc to come here the Canucks do not have to honor it going forward.

Edit: at least that has been what has been said hear in the past numerous times.

Edited by Kanukfanatic