The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

SCF: (A2) Boston Bruins vs. (C3) St. Louis Blues | Blues win 2019 Stanley Cup

Rate this topic

2019 Stanley Cup Final  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Stanley Cup?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/30/2019 at 12:00 AM

11 hours ago, oldnews said:

I think one of the lessons - once again - from Boston's playoff success is:

Ask yourself where they'd be withou the performances of Kuraly, Acciari, Nordstrom  = and the rest of their bottom six.

Kuraly, Acciari, Nordstrom - are at 14 to 17% ozone starts in the playoffs.

They are a combined +10 (with 17 points).   Washington without their Jay Beagles...repeat = not so much.

Those are the types of players that are extending Bergeron's dominance - as he's at 59% ozone starts in the playoffs - and does not have to struggle through excessive hard miles at this point - they can measure his utilization (whereas Toronto had to lean absurdly heavily on the likes of Tavares - and Marner - to play hard minutes).

And what might be surprising - is when you look(ed) at their blueline heading into the playoffs

Chara McAvoy

Krug Carlo

Gryzecyk/Moore Clifton

It's pretty good - at least better than Toronto's - but certainly looked a bit old and young, with what might have seemed like some size issues with Krug, Clifton, Gryz....but they've only bent (and had an awfully good, deep, two-way forward group in front of them).

In any event - Toronto might want to look at (probably won't) that fourth line of Boston - how a true contender is built - and realize that it was the attention to detail from top to bottom that largely makes the difference between being up 2-1 in the SCF (again) and another first round dispatch.

To add to that point, the Bruins are deep down the middle, to where guys like Kuraly and Coyle can take dzone faceoffs and not look like a liability, and not having to defend solely on Bergeron all the time. Clifton might not be a huge guy but he plays like one and has emerged as one of those "where tf did he come from" and why don't we have a fast and gritty guy like that

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, oldnews said:

I think one of the lessons - once again - from Boston's playoff success is:

Ask yourself where they'd be withou the performances of Kuraly, Acciari, Nordstrom  = and the rest of their bottom six.

Kuraly, Acciari, Nordstrom - are at 14 to 17% ozone starts in the playoffs.

They are a combined +10 (with 17 points).   Washington without their Jay Beagles...repeat = not so much.

Those are the types of players that are extending Bergeron's dominance - as he's at 59% ozone starts in the playoffs - and does not have to struggle through excessive hard miles at this point - they can measure his utilization (whereas Toronto had to lean absurdly heavily on the likes of Tavares - and Marner - to play hard minutes).

And what might be surprising - is when you look(ed) at their blueline heading into the playoffs

Chara McAvoy

Krug Carlo

Gryzecyk/Moore Clifton

It's pretty good - at least better than Toronto's - but certainly looked a bit old and young, with what might have seemed like some size issues with Krug, Clifton, Gryz....but they've only bent (and had an awfully good, deep, two-way forward group in front of them).

In any event - Toronto might want to look at (probably won't) that fourth line of Boston - how a true contender is built - and realize that it was the attention to detail from top to bottom that largely makes the difference between being up 2-1 in the SCF (again) and another first round dispatch.

Wow....you mean Benning spending money on a 4th line has a purpose? ;)

• Cheers 1

I take Marchand's comment with a grain of salt (shot of tequila) and as yet another jab.

Really?  So you could score 128 goals?

More of a slam on the Blues than any act of being humble.  It's just how I take it when things come out of his mouth.  Nose.  Wherever he shoots garbage from.

I missed the game.  Thank God.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Generational.EP40 said:

This is the mindset of greatness and champions

What a &^@#ing transition Marchy’s made. Mad respect which I’m able to acknowledge. 

:wub:

The blues had no right scoring 2, so he's right they could have been better. Had Carlo gotten out of the way, that shots going way wide

There were times were the bruins allowed the blues a sniff of momentum and in 5-1/5-2 game, there's no reason to allow those fans to have ANYTHING to cheer about. Will watch game 4 very closely! 

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Blues had more PP’s, got away with more calls, Schenn dove his way to a call, they were the dirtier of the two teams and still lost 7-2. So Blues bandwagoners what is the excuse for game 3? 

Nothing I just hate the Bruins

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to SCF: (A2) Boston Bruins vs. (C3) St. Louis Blues | Bruins lead series 2-1
28 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

While I wouldn't say Marchand is fully reformed, he is definitely much better than he was 8 years ago. 

That's like saying...I woudn't say that liver and onions is my favourite meal, but it tastes better than it did 8 years ago.

32 minutes ago, kilgore said:

That's like saying...I woudn't say that liver and onions is my favourite meal, but it tastes better than it did 8 years ago.

Not quite the same. Also liver and onions will always be just awful. 

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

While I wouldn't say Marchand is fully reformed, he is definitely much better than he was 8 years ago. 

Marchand's such a piece of garbage he'd find a way to disgrace the species at his own funeral.  He's still absolute scum as shown by mistaking Ryan Callahan for an ice cream.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

I get all this hatred towards the Bruins, especially Marchand, I can't stand him, even tho I have to admit he is a very good player. they deserve to be in the finals. as for the Blues, I can't stand Binnington and his attitude, he is so full of himself, it was nice to see him getting blown out last night. but he has been a very good goalie for the Blues, if it wasn't for him the Blues wouldn't have even made the playoffs. so today I read how the coach of the Blues was complaining about all the penalties they were getting and how it wasn't fair, umm excuse me but the Bruins got just as many. ask yourself why Perron is taking all those penalties. he has to be the dirtiest player along with a few others on the team. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, bree2 said:

I get all this hatred towards the Bruins, especially Marchand, I can't stand him, even tho I have to admit he is a very good player. they deserve to be in the finals. as for the Blues, I can't stand Binnington and his attitude, he is so full of himself, it was nice to see him getting blown out last night. but he has been a very good goalie for the Blues, if it wasn't for him the Blues wouldn't have even made the playoffs. so today I read how the coach of the Blues was complaining about all the penalties they were getting and how it wasn't fair, umm excuse me but the Bruins got just as many. ask yourself why Perron is taking all those penalties. he has to be the dirtiest player along with a few others on the team. 

There is no denying Binnington is a good goalie, but I believe they would have made the playoffs without him. The blues as a team came together and started to click. You look at their roster, I think that roster made Binnington who he is, rather than him making the Blues what they are. They have a really good blue line and top 9. They struggled to get the results early on in the season. 

6 hours ago, bree2 said:

Completely agree with this. While sure I don’t want the Bruins to win. I don’t wish bad fortunes other then then that, while many on here want them to all be in the hospital. And why do we hate Marchand? Because he’s that bloody good. We all loved Burr when he was here, but we have the rat as Boston enemy #1 but they are similar players. Hate to admit it but Brads production is twice as good as Burr’s was. Both teams are taking their jabs at each other and no team is innocent in these finals. I’m glad they are similar to each other so they can both dish it and take it. Hope this goes to 7. Also I get that Matt Murray vibe from Binnington as well. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, bree2 said:

Agree. Blues dirty af. Hope they lose.

• Cheers 3