The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Tyler Myers and Jake Gardiner

41 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

@King Heffy Gardiner last season had 30 points and was +19 do you know how many 30 point +19 dmen the Canucks had? Zero.

This was your initial comment.  He was not a +19 player before those guys arrived.  His production went up when they arrived and his miserable +/- did also.  He's not a significant upgrade to our better D-men.  He's a reasonable defenseman, but not someone who will instantly make the team better and worth a large contract.

He is an upgrade on our bottom 2 dmen and arguably our 4th. 

Just not at what he is asking for. 

And to solely credit Marner and Matthews for his +/- is silly, as their goaltending situation improved tremendously with the addition of Andersen which was the same season Gardiner's +/- started improving. Their goaltending pre Andersen was absolutely atrocious at best. 

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Just not at what he is asking for. 

And to solely credit Marner and Matthews for his +/- is silly, as their goaltending situation improved tremendously with the addition of Andersen which was the same season Gardiner's +/- started improving. Their goaltending pre Andersen was absolutely atrocious at best. 

Fair enough......I wasn't looking at it as black and white.  I realize there are more details that come into play.  I just didn't like the suggestion that Gardiner was better than all of our D given the 30 pts and +19.  Like someone added above, the back and forth is pointless because the outcome is the same......Gardiner's not a big enough upgrade to warrant big cash.  Cheers.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, aliboy said:

I'd rather have Myers over Gardiner, at least he has size. I would expect a UFA signing is more likely now that we have moved a 1st, but who knows.

Yeah If I had to choose between the 2 its Myers AINEC.

Still,  I hope we dont go crazy with term and salary.  Although if we get rid of Louies contract that frees up an additional 6mill

Edited by CanuckGAME

Would be a great signing for Vancouver, Myers would be a great addition and would pair nicely with Edler, which when healthy would put Tanev with Hughes.

After that we need to either trade Erickson for Lucic or take on Reaves from Vegas as a cap dump and we are looking a lot better.  Adding Pool party in a Lucic deal or other deal would be great.  Ehlers in Winnipeg would also be a great addition but would be hard cap wise

Edited by mpt

Myers is nowhere near as good as his paycheque will soon suggest, but anybody trying to push this as 'another Gudbranson' can politely buzz off.

Guddy has beer-league-tier puck skills. The guy got by with his charm and good looks and 'character' for years. He couldn't even carry a puck 10 feet up the ice, and couldn't connect a pass to safe his life.

We were AMAZED that Luke friggen Schenn was better in his short tenure, but there should not have been any suprise.

Myers is an average defender, but even that is leagues above Gudbranson.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, nergish said:

Myers is nowhere near as good as his paycheque will soon suggest, but anybody trying to push this as 'another Gudbranson' can politely buzz off.

Guddy has beer-league-tier puck skills. The guy got by with his charm and good looks and 'character' for years. He couldn't even carry a puck 10 feet up the ice, and couldn't connect a pass to safe his life.

We were AMAZED that Luke friggen Schenn was better in his short tenure, but there should not have been any suprise.

I agree Myers will be over paid but which UFAs on Day 1 sign for reasonable amounts when every team in the league is bidding on them.  If Myers can be signed for Edler type money or an Erickson type contract, I’d be ok with it

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, mpt said:

I agree Myers will be over paid but which UFAs on Day 1 sign for reasonable amounts when every team in the league is bidding on them.  If Myers can be signed for Edler type money or an Erickson type contract, I’d be ok with it

I don't think we can afford not to sign him at this point.

If we can get an established Dman with that size without giving up assets, we kinda have to do it.

9 minutes ago, nergish said:

I think some people are looking at Myers because he’s tall and assume that he’s going to provide a physical edge to his game.

Yes, Myers is a better puck mover than Gudbranson, but he’s nowhere near as physically tough as Gudbranson is. That being said, Gudbranson didn’t bring that physical edge anywhere near enough during his time here. Schenn brings it far more consistently and is focused on defending the young core as much as the zone. 

The Canucks have two primary needs on defense, puck moving offense and stay at home size and aggression. Myers does neither very well and should be avoided, in my humble opinion 

• Upvote 1

On 6/20/2019 at 9:00 PM, canuck73_3 said:

Ferraro and another pundit said Gardiner has flaws, but would immediately be our best defenceman if we got him.

He shoots it pretty straight and isn’t a a Toronto homer.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

Ferraro and another pundit said Gardiner has flaws, but would immediately be our best defenceman if we got him.

He shoots it pretty straight and isn’t a a Toronto homer.

I'm warming up to Gardiner, I like Myers more for his size but my concern is cost for either of them. 

I'd like to see us add a couple D-men.

My choice would be Meyers and either Benn or Stralman.

Edler Meyers

Hughes Tanev

Benn Stecher

Schenn

Ship out Hutton for a team looking for cheapish D. Trade Tanev at the deadline if we're out of the race and move Schenn up or recall Juolevi.

39 minutes ago, nergish said:

Well said!

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I'd like to see us add a couple D-men.

My choice would be Meyers and either Benn or Stralman.

Edler Meyers

Hughes Tanev

Benn Stecher

Schenn

Ship out Hutton for a team looking for cheapish D. Trade Tanev at the deadline if we're out of the race and move Schenn up or recall Juolevi.

These rumours that we are interested in both, are we just going to go for both to make sure we get 1 of Gardiner or Myers or could they actually try to add both? Would the numbers even work lol.

Say we hypothetically signed gardiner for 7.5 x 7 and Myers 6 or 6.5 x 5 (which sounds horrible god awful to me) 

Could this be their goal: 

Gardiner-Tanev

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Myers