The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dodgeball=Legalized Bullying so people say

Violator

Just now, AV's Coin said:

dodgeball is for wimps... hospital ball is where it is at!

How about a good ole' game of Red Ass, played with a lacrosse ball?

I know a kid that got spina bifida from that $&!#...joooooookes, he just couldn't walk for a year

• Haha 1

Before nukes, we could cull the herd a bit with wars, but now enough people are living long enough to whine about a game everyone played in school.

Question...  Do they still do "shirts vs. skin" games in school gym classes or have they outlawed that too because the fat kids get picked on?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

researchers found in some cases, marginalized students were being picked last or were targets during the game.

Found this in the original article, and it was facepalm time. 

Isn't everyone a target in dodgeball?  sure, there might be people that would gang up and target weaker kids, but I've seen that in baseball... hit to the small kid in right field, or wherever they are.

And kids who are smaller, less athletic, or don't have many friends get picked last... shocking.  I was one of those kids (I was younger than my classmates, and also grew late).  Wasn't fun being picked late, but it made me work harder, and I showed I could compete well enough.

Side note: there is a link in the article to another story about a dad who made his 8yr old daughter walk 5 miles to school in near freezing temps... cuz she was busted for bullying a couple times on the bus.  Nice work, dad!

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Stop all athletic sports and competitions.

Too much bullying from one player/team oppressed on to the other !!

Never leave your house! Never go online!  So much bullying in this world!

Who said bullying is illegal.  Yes at its extreme it is but in general bullying is immoral not illegal.  Big difference.

Part of what raising kids is is exposing them to some of the negative things that they will need to deal with in a controlled environment. 

One of the things that people have to deal with in their lives is bullying.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Pears said:

Have we really gotten this soft? I mean come on...

Of course we have and it continues.

5 hours ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

are you surprised? it's only going to get worse.

This.

5 hours ago, 6string said:

Somebody stop the planet.

I want to get off.

Pretty much. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Who said bullying is illegal.  Yes at its extreme it is but in general bullying is immoral not illegal.  Big difference.

Part of what raising kids is is exposing them to some of the negative things that they will need to deal with in a controlled environment. 

One of the things that people have to deal with in their lives is bullying.

I agree.  I was bullied as a kid mercilessly and my parents tried to shield it from me as much as possible eventhough they don't know how much I was actually bullied.  But at the same time I think I turned out better for it but maybe some kids these days don't turn out the way I did.