The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Alex Edler Done in Vancouver?

dpn1

We should be done with him. He blocked a good trade for us using his NTC and is now going to leave if we don't let him handcuff us again. You block a trade because you want to stay, not to hurt the team. Sorry Alex, you don't get to have your cake and eat it too.

29 minutes ago, mephnick said:

We should be done with him. He blocked a good trade for us using his NTC and is now going to leave if we don't let him handcuff us again. You block a trade because you want to stay, not to hurt the team. Sorry Alex, you don't get to have your cake and eat it too.

No doubt.  He knows that we need him ... one thing I like about Benning is he doesn’t put up with sh!t when it comes to players beaking off or that have a sense of entitlement...see McAan..see JV early on...see Dahlen this year (and that seemed innocent enough) and now see the LE rumours for Lucic given his statements about not being happy with Greens assignments.   

Hopefully he will continue that theme and not bend into Edlers demands just because we actually need his services for a couple more years...instead let him pack his suitcase and during the week before July 1 get a deal done with one of EK, Myers or Gardiner...

7 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Makes you think of money as nothing when your health is gone though... man if i had that kind of bling and was over 30 and still had my health to some degree, i'd retire in a heartbeat but i suppose winning and losing could be like a drug that gets you down or on top of the world...

Most recently retired NHL players all say the same thing to older guys thinking about calling it - which is play as long as possible, in whatever role that you can.   

Theres no doubt the Sedins were good enough to sign a one year or even two year deal and play the same reduced role they did last year...on the second line PP and third line 5 x 5 minutes etc.  I’m stoked they retired for other reasons but they both absolutely would have found work somewhere in the league if not with us....it’s better then hanging around too long and hurting their legacies.

Edler is good enough to find a 3-4 year contract somewhere .... I’m fine with it if he stays but don’t think he’s earned a NMC for the expansion...now IF he agreed to go as a rental and that got us a late first or even second rounder I’d be happy to consider it.  He didn’t...let him walk and sign one of the other top three UFA defenseman instead.  They are all younger and at most will be 34-35 when it’s up ... sure it will cost us money but we need the help anyways, this is one position where overpaying for a UFA makes sense, and would rather overpay a younger guy that can play more than 60ish games a year.

Also I think Bennings camp isn’t signing Edler yet because they are interested in seeing who else would like to come here during the week long period teams can court potential UFAs before July 1.   

Edler isn’t going to sign for less than 6....that’s what second pairing defenseman get nowadays minimum.   EK at 11 seems high ... but he’s the best defenseman going to market possibly ever.  Myers and Gardiner could cost 7plus depending on suitors...Myers might get more given he’s a RHD and those are hard to find.   Both are like Edler in that they aren’t ideally suited on the top pairing but good-decent second pairing guys and both would instantly be better than all but perhaps Hughes next season.   If Edler isn’t part of our long term plans anyways (which of course he isn’t)...I’d be stoked to get any of the other guys...and if it’s EK our window moves up at least a year, maybe two if he’s 100% which he should be by the start of next season.   Hughes-EK would be a formidable PP and top pairing. 

EK also has a limited market given the cap restraints teams have, we are one of them few that can afford him and won’t shoot ourselves in the foot at the same time.  Things will be tight but we could trade some guys.  As far as Lucic goes I’d only trade for him if he waived NMC..he’d be a buyout candidate unless he turns things around in a couple years when the CBA is up.

23 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Also I think Bennings camp isn’t signing Edler yet because they are interested in seeing who else would like to come here during the week long period teams can court potential UFAs before July 1.   

Edler isn’t going to sign for less than 6....that’s what second pairing defenseman get nowadays minimum.   EK at 11 seems high ... but he’s the best defenseman going to market possibly ever.  Myers and Gardiner could cost 7plus depending on suitors...Myers might get more given he’s a RHD and those are hard to find.   Both are like Edler in that they aren’t ideally suited on the top pairing but good-decent second pairing guys and both would instantly be better than all but perhaps Hughes next season.   If Edler isn’t part of our long term plans anyways (which of course he isn’t)...I’d be stoked to get any of the other guys...and if it’s EK our window moves up at least a year, maybe two if he’s 100% which he should be by the start of next season.   Hughes-EK would be a formidable PP and top pairing. 

EK also has a limited market given the cap restraints teams have, we are one of them few that can afford him and won’t shoot ourselves in the foot at the same time.  Things will be tight but we could trade some guys.  As far as Lucic goes I’d only trade for him if he waived NMC..he’d be a buyout candidate unless he turns things around in a couple years when the CBA is up.

Eddie isn't a 2nd tier dman on this team, he's the #1 dman

9 hours ago, stawns said:

Edler had a very solid year and was a huge part of the team not falling apart.  Personally, I think they need him back and if an NMC is what it takes, so be it.......he's a critical part of this team and will allow QH, OJ etc to develop without having to play tough defensive mins against the best fwds on other teams.

I agree with all of this but still don't like the idea of him holding the team hostage, so to speak, over a NMC in the expansion year.

11 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Seriously can't tell if you're trolling?  He waived at the deadline to go to Dallas...the Canucks didn't trade him.  He then signed with Dallas as a free agent in the off season... Crushed again Rob 

Uh, no, he had a facial injury and asked to not be traded.   Do you even follow the team?

6 hours ago, Timråfan said:

With fans like this EK won't come... Do you think he's stupid? 

I doubt he will read your posts so perhaps it is ok still for him to come to Vancouver.   I agree though, if he read your posts and thought that was what a "fan" in Vancouver was all about, he (like any sane FA), would think twice for sure.   Good call and great job of self-reflection.   :)

8 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I think you are correct Eddy had a chance to help the team out last year and simply declined.

it wasn't quite that simple, he would have had to sign an extension with Calgary to make it work. You can't blame him for not wanting to uproot his family to Calgary, he doesn't owe anyone that. 

9 hours ago, DarthMelvin said:

We have to think team build here... Edler is done. We are trying bring a cup to this city. We keep hugging the jocks of these fan favs we are gonna stay bottom feeders like Edmonton 

While I agree it would be ideal to get younger and stronger on D a replacement for Eddy is not easy, and very costly to source. As others have mentioned he's a very reliable top four dman. I suspect Hughes will at some point be moved into that number one PP spot. This may help eliminate some of the negativity surrounding Eddy. It would certainly be nice to have a more mobile, more accurate, quicker passer manning the point on the number one PP. As long as they dont need to protect Eddy in the expansion draft I'm all for signing him. His veteran presence will also help our youngsters along. 

Don't know what Eddy is worried about if it's the NTC that's holding this up.  Like Seattle would select a 35 year old D.  Give him the NT for year 1 & 2 and not for the 3rd year.  After that, go year by year like Chara does.  If he loves Van so much, that's the way to go.

17 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he is, and he's probably being offered $12 million bucks over 2 years, maybe more. Losing a younger player to expansion is a real concern for us. Eddie can take the money for 2 years, become a UFA and not have to sign with Seattle. Once the expansion draft is over we can re-sign him for 1 or 2 more years then if he has anything left in the tank. 

This all day! I’ve been saying this for months as have you Jimmy and many other people on here have. It’s not complicated or unreasonable for both sides to go this route so that Edler gets his security staying with the Canucks and that the Canucks have their loyal top 4 D-Man. If Edler camp doesn’t want the two years the UFA pending cloak status that would protect him from Seattle isn’t enough for him to stay, then I’m sorry Eddy you can have your cake and eat it somewhere else.

11 hours ago, jimmyking8888 said:

Canucks can afford to wait after July 1.     We might get a big name.  Besides even anybody else offered Edler the money, we could always match.    Maybe we are watching a different Edler.  I think he is over-rated in this market. 

if they wait until July 1 and they don't get Edler and they don't get a suitable replacement.........then what?

33 year old playing in the NHL...no matter how you look at it, he has had a great career....if it goes, 2 year deal, then 1 year contracts after 35 years old...this way, he will get what he wants if he still has what it takes...

It is such a tough call.

Any other option we have via UFA signing will be more expensive and have longer term.

The absolute sticking point is the NMC for the expansion year.  If Elder wants both term AND a NMC it seems like he has made his decision to move on.

A two year $6 million per contract with a NMC isn’t a bad deal for him at all.  If he wants to stay here beyond that it is entirely in his control as he won’t be signed during expansion.

If he wants the security of term, then a smaller AAV 3-4 deal that doesn’t have NMC protection in the expansion year isn’t unfair either.  

If he wants to move on, or at least test free agency, he will probably find a suitor willing to give him more.  Up to him.

Our best bet is to get out in front of it and trade for a LD capable of playing top four minutes.  It reduces his leverage, and puts the ball in his court.  His agent is probably saying to hold out because the Canucks are over a barrel with no other options.  He is right.

Archived