The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Alex Edler Done in Vancouver?

Rate this topic

dpn1

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

A 2 year deal at any cost is a team deal.

Hutton is able to step up in those minutes when called upon, but I wouldn't trust him there regularly. Just like Edler is a #2 or 3 dman, but taking on #1 minutes, Hutton is more a #3 or 4 if he maintains his play last season, it's not a good situation to put your dmen in minutes they're not suited for. I would say Stecher stepped up the most and made a pairing with Hutton when Edler and Tanev were out look better than Hutton actually taking over Edler's role.

Edler, now, is a number 3.  He takes a team deal, that’s not more than 5 x 3 with no special trade protection, or it’s bye bye.  The team has all the leverage.  Hutton proved he can play Edler’s Minutes.  We have Hughes and OJ too.  

4 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

I just dont understand the idea of overpaying a 33 yr old. No one is going to give him a NTC/NMC - he's crazy if he thinks so. He also wants to stay here. he has no leverage. Pay him fair market, no NMC/NTC, and if he doesn't like it, let him go UFA and learn the hard reality of a 33 yr old #3 who's banged up with an expansion draft coming.

Dude, in a negotiation you have to think about the other side's alternatives. He has none better than he'll get here, for that you don't need to over pay

If Edler is willing to sign a two year deal, then he would surely have many suitors. A two year deal has no bearing on the expansion so teams will have no problem giving him a NTC/NMC. I agree that Edler won't get the clauses on a long term deal with any other team, but if he wants that security of not being taken in the expansion, then a two year deal makes sense. We overpay him so it takes away the risk if he cannot extend his career beyond the two years. This is how we convince him to do so if he's looking for a longer term deal for the same financial security reason. My suggestion is less of a take it or leave stiff arm move, but rather a deal that takes care of both sides (which I feel Edler is deserving given what he's given for this organization) which is a message to those who are loyal to our team will be treated with respect. Edler had one of his best seasons, so it's not like he's declining already beyond health reasons although his head injury was more a freak accident rather than being injury prone.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

If Edler is willing to sign a two year deal, then he would surely have many suitors. A two year deal has no bearing on the expansion so teams will have no problem giving him a NTC/NMC. I agree that Edler won't get the clauses on a long term deal with any other team, but if he wants that security of not being taken in the expansion, then a two year deal makes sense. We overpay him so it takes away the risk if he cannot extend his career beyond the two years. This is how we convince him to do so if he's looking for a longer term deal for the same financial security reason. My suggestion is less of a take it or leave stiff arm move, but rather a deal that takes care of both sides (which I feel Edler is deserving given what he's given for this organization) which is a message to those who are loyal to our team will be treated with respect. Edler had one of his best seasons, so it's not like he's declining already beyond health reasons although his head injury was more a freak accident rather than being injury prone.

You might be thinking along the same lines as JB.  It’s just JB is waiting to see if he has a chance at EK before he commits any cap dollars to Edler. 

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Edler, now, is a number 3.  He takes a team deal, that’s not more than 5 x 3 with no special trade protection, or it’s bye bye.  The team has all the leverage.  Hutton proved he can play Edler’s Minutes.  We have Hughes and OJ too.  

Then I am sure it will be bye bye.  The team has virtually no leverage.   Hutton proved nothing more than he is not able to play Edler's role, at this point, with no real hope for future development into that role.  Hughes and OJ are great prospects, but they have played a total of what, 5 games between them?  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Hutton already played Edler’s minutes, and was proving to be able to play those minutes.  This was the first year Hutton was actually focused on being fit.  He’s only going to be even better this coming year, and better the year after.  Unless Edler signs a team deal, it’s Bye bye Eddy.  

Hutton didn’t prove jack. Our record was the same as previous years when Edler was out. Really poor when he was hurt and much better when he was playing. Lol

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Personally if he wants a full NTC, I have no problem with that. He can have a NMC for all I care as long as he waives it for expansion purposes. I'm fine with a longer term deal if it lowers the AAV. If he's looking for money and term then it doesn't benefit the team so this would indeed be a one sided solution much like forcing him to take less term and dollars. Either scenario is not good for the Canucks and doesn't benefit Edler if he wants to stay here.

Edler IMO is still a #2. He can handle the top pairing minutes, but just lacks that consistent offensive punch. If he doesn't play his aggressive game, then he drops to a #3.

Hutton lacks the same offensive punch and his defense IMO is a step below Edler's. His newfound conditioning allowed him to take on more minutes and he's decent at both ends, just not great at either. I'm happy with Hutton as insurance, but I don't want him to be the guy.

Hughes and Juolevi might be the future, but they're not there yet. Hughes could take over the offensive duties from the defense, but if Edler stays, then I see them forming a partnership on the PP (should we go back to a 2 dman system, but Hughes would be a rover). Juolevi needs some time in Utica most likely. Either way, neither of these guys are ready to take on the hard minutes that Edler plays.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Personally if he wants a full NTC, I have no problem with that. He can have a NMC for all I care as long as he waives it for expansion purposes. I'm fine with a longer term deal if it lowers the AAV. If he's looking for money and term then it doesn't benefit the team so this would indeed be a one sided solution much like forcing him to take less term and dollars. Either scenario is not good for the Canucks and doesn't benefit Edler if he wants to stay here.

Edler IMO is still a #2. He can handle the top pairing minutes, but just lacks that consistent offensive punch. If he doesn't play his aggressive game, then he drops to a #3.

Hutton lacks the same offensive punch and his defense IMO is a step below Edler's. His newfound conditioning allowed him to take on more minutes and he's decent at both ends, just not great at either. I'm happy with Hutton as insurance, but I don't want him to be the guy.

Hughes and Juolevi might be the future, but they're not there yet. Hughes could take over the offensive duties from the defense, but if Edler stays, then I see them forming a partnership on the PP (should we go back to a 2 dman system, but Hughes would be a rover). Juolevi needs some time in Utica most likely. Either way, neither of these guys are ready to take on the hard minutes that Edler plays.

He’s done. He’s at the age where we’ll see a steep decline. His speed was lacking this year and I don’t expect him to get any faster with age. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

He’s done. He’s at the age where we’ll see a steep decline. His speed was lacking this year and I don’t expect him to get any faster with age. 

We will see if this is true over time. Do you have any other suggestion on what we should rather do to improve on this situation?

8 hours ago, theo5789 said:

We will see if this is true over time. Do you have any other suggestion on what we should rather do to improve on this situation?

Yes take the money we would spend on a slow aging defender and spend it on a free agent younger not so slow defender who despite getting gifted power play minutes can score more than one goal in a calendar year on said Power play.

15 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Yes take the money we would spend on a slow aging defender and spend it on a free agent younger not so slow defender who despite getting gifted power play minutes can score more than one goal in a calendar year on said Power play.

Anyone in mind? The theory is fine, but how about in practicality?

43 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

28 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Anyone in mind? The theory is fine, but how about in practicality?

A younger ufa will likely require +$, +term and possible restrictive contract. Maybe if luck is on the Nuck side, they get

Ben Chariot for 3 @ 3yrs, but probably wants longer term.

If Edler walks I'd rather see them sign an older player like Kromwall for 2yrs@5.5m (who still puts up respectable #s) or Hainsey 2yrs@4.5m

***Maybe you pay a bit too much, but the short term is well worth it for a team with prospect coming up the ranks.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, CanucksCountry said:

So if he does leave does he get booed when we play him at Rogers arena

Fans love Eddy, as they should.  He will have a video thing, and there will be lots of tears, no boos.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1