The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks aggressively pursuing Tyson Barrie

10 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

Virtanen sucks...i do that deal in a heartbeat!

50-60 point dman for a dud and 2020 1st...its a yes for me!

I don't think Jake sucks. I see Jake as being a guy who can score 20 goals in the league, but I do not see him being a 30 plus guy. He is not the next Cam Neely, or Todd Bertuzzi.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ohthehumanity said:

I don't think Jake sucks. I see Jake as being a guy who can score 20 goals in the league, but I do not see him being a 30 plus guy. He is not the next Cam Neely, or Todd Bertuzzi.

Hes a dud with low hockey iq. This fanbase has a love affair with him and i dont know why. Trade him and run!

10 minutes ago, Darius said:

As a gauge here remember that Calgary gave up a first round pick and two second rounders for each of hamonic and Hamilton. 

2020 first plus Jake is probably in that ballpark for a dman that can put up 50 plus points. 

Barrie is 28 though....

27 minutes ago, ninja321 said:

Isn't the next draft supposed to be extremely deep? I'd be hesitant to do this deal unless the first rounder was protected of some sort.

That is also why you do it. We can still acquire a mid to late 1st later on, but if we get Barrie and say someone like Myers or Miller in a trade we are likely a bottom seeded PO team and our pick will be in the 15-30 range anyways. GMJB's drafting acumen is stellar and I believe he knows what he is doing.  

Edited by Odjick29willkillyou
spelling

I love this trade as long as that pick is protected. I like Jake but he has consistency issues and low hockey iq. We have Zach MacEwen who is basically like a bigger version of Jake and is ready to be on the team full time.

Barrie is a right shot RD who has consistently put up points, I would rather have him than see us overpaying for Myers who will be an anchor.

• Upvote 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

So if this is the trade, how does Vancouver deal with the fact that it, once again, is getting smaller, and less physical?

Certainly Barrie is a talented puck-moving defenseman, but he's pretty small, and having a defense with him, Stecher, and Hughes, while exciting from a offensive perspective, would get manhandled.

I can see Benning moving Stecher if this trade goes down. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, captainhorvat said:

Hes a dud with low hockey iq. This fanbase has a love affair with him and i dont know why. Trade him and run!

If he would learn to use that speed and drop his shoulder and drive to the net more he would be someone that I wouldn't  want to give up on, but I don't see enough of it from him. You want a guy with a non stop motor and he hasn't shown that.

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Who cares. The Canucks need to start taking chances at improving the club in the immediate. Can’t pen on having every single piece of your core being 1st round picks. Benning knows if he doesn’t do something big the Canucks are going to flounder yet again and I donno about you guys but I’m sick and tired of losing and want to see some god damn Canucks playoff hockey again. Getting a 60 point top pairing D is a good start.

I will have one for you tonight while I am watching the draft Macho Man. Ooooooooooooh yeeeeeeeeah dig it!!!

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

So if this is the trade, how does Vancouver deal with the fact that it, once again, is getting smaller, and less physical?

Certainly Barrie is a talented puck-moving defenseman, but he's pretty small, and having a defense with him, Stecher, and Hughes, while exciting from a offensive perspective, would get manhandled.

I would prefer doing the same deal, Virtanen and 2020 1st, for Risto if that was a possibility for exactly the reasons you state.

However, if the Barrie deal is a possibility I say do it and then trade Stecher for a bigger D as someone else here already mentioned. Having Barrie and Hughes would be fine as long as the others were bigger.

14 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Who cares. The Canucks need to start taking chances at improving the club in the immediate. Can’t pen on having every single piece of your core being 1st round picks. Benning knows if he doesn’t do something big the Canucks are going to flounder yet again and I donno about you guys but I’m sick and tired of losing and want to see some god damn Canucks playoff hockey again. Getting a 60 point top pairing D is a good start.

I understand your frustration, but I would much rather be patient and continue to re-stock the cupboard.  As opposed to making the playoffs and losing in the first, maybe second round.

We have a good start to our core but need some more strong pieces to have a Stanley Cup Contender.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That would make more sense, as much as I think Stecher is a great player, I'd prefer the Canucks not get smaller again.

Trust me I’m on the same page as you with regards to size.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I would prefer doing the same deal, Virtanen and 2020 1st, for Risto if that was a possibility for exactly the reasons you state.

However, if the Barrie deal is a possibility I say do it and then trade Stecher for a bigger D as someone else here already mentioned. Having Barrie and Hughes would be fine as long as the others were bigger.

A defense boasting Hughes and Barrie would be an offensive threat on two of the pairings for sure. I'd prefer Benning sign a couple of large, aggressive defensemen who're over protective of their teammates, especially their goalies.

• Like 2