The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks aggressively pursuing Tyson Barrie

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If Benning was trading for Parayko, Jones, Provorov, or Ekbald, I'd be fine with a first rounder going the other way, as theire age falls in line with the core, and the addition of such a player would have an immediate impact.

Barrie is simply not worth the risk.

But the problem in acquiring those players you mentioned at that age range is you have to give up some key pieces from your core players, a 1st unprotected or not will not  + Virtanen does not get any of those guys.

I see this Barrie trade as getting ahead of the free agency frenzy in 2020. Look at the money a 30 yr old Myers and 28 yr old Gardiner will command on July 1st, its going to be crazy. If we can get ahead and lock up Barrie next season that will be a big win before the cap goes up. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Getting in is great, no doubt. But, you don't go into the ocean with a great white shark with a Buck knife hoping everything will be okay. You go in with a cage. Same for the playoffs, you go to war, and have the troops to fight that fight.

I want the Canucks to get better, but I also want them to acquire a few more integral players through the draft, and giving away high picks is a dangerous premise when the player coming back falls outside of the median age of the core.

The biggest need now is defence. Other than Edler and a prospect in Hughes, there isn’t much back there. You can’t have the perfect aged elite defenceman brought in with out selling the farm. 

I’m sure there will be more added back there as time goes on...

Edited by grandmaster
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

News flash: 1 defenseman set to be a UFA isnt going to make us a playoff team.

This team isnt close. Its not the right time to make that move, Barrie's 28...

You'd be wrong to think JB is only adding one player, I see us adding at least 2 just on defense, and maybe 2 others on offense

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I like Barrie a lot, but I think we need to target somebody younger if we're making a big splash like this.

I want Ristolainen so badly. He has his warts, but the size and edge he provides would be a welcome addition to this lineup. I feel like he's been on the cusp of exploding offensively for some time... he really does need a change of scenery. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Actually that kind of the point I am making. There’s only so many minutes in a game. With Barrie commanding 65% ozone starts along with his 4:00 average pp TOI. It doesn’t leave much room for a 6th overall pick we invested in last summer. Rosters need variety, different skill sets to fill different holes.  That’s one of the biggest reason why the Avs are will to part with Barrie... because they have Makar. 

Sounds more like a great 1-2 punch on our PP

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Ohthehumanity said:

Hughes is slated to be a third pairing D man to start the season from reports I have heard. TG wants players to earn their ice time.

Double the controlled zone exits over the next-closest dman in only his first 8 NHL games says that he's going to earn it pretty quickly.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

But how good are they going to be when we don't have much to trade? Unless he really wants to handcuff this team.

we have a few to trade for sure. It all depends on the first move and where that leaves us. Way too many scenarios to look at. Lets see what JB does first and that will tell us lots With Edler signed I'm sure Tanev is on the block. If we land Barrie for say 2020 1st and Virt I'm sure Stecher is on the Block. We also have many add ons we can compliment many deals with

6 minutes ago, nergish said:

I like Barrie a lot, but I think we need to target somebody younger if we're making a big splash like this.

I want Ristolainen so badly. He has his warts, but the size and edge he provides would be a welcome addition to this lineup. I feel like he's been on the cusp of exploding offensively for some time... he really does need a change of scenery. 

im still hoping we can add him, but a Tanev trade needs to happen before we can do it though. 

1 minute ago, Sbriggs said:

we have a few to trade for sure. It all depends on the first move and where that leaves us. Way too many scenarios to look at. Lets see what JB does first and that will tell us lots With Edler signed I'm sure Tanev is on the block. If we land Barrie for say 2020 1st and Virt I'm sure Stecher is on the Block. We also have many add ons we can compliment many deals with

I think it would make sense to trade our 1st this year than our 1st next year. Atleast we know what we are giving up, not worth taking the Ottawa risk in such a good draft year.

Something around 10th, Tanev, Virtanen for Barrie, 16th & something else makes more sense IMO. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, BCNate said:

....assuming no other moves to address other issues.....

Still the move isn't really helping the Canucks out long term.

Our biggest needs above all else are point production from D, middle 6 forward depth and physicality.  The hardest of those to fix is the first one, which Barrie and Hughes likely accomplish.

Hughes is in the right age range. If Benning is going to offer up roster player and next year's first rounder, why not add to that and go after a defenseman who has offensive skill, size, and is in the same basic age range as Horvat and the like?

I'd much rather get my ass handed to me in the playoffs and pick 16 than miss the playoffs and pick 10th.

Playoff experience is key, I agree. This team needs to get in sooner than later, but not at the behest of just getting in.

16 minutes ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

Dude this will be Quinn's first full rookie year so having someone like Barrie in front of him should be good as he will not be on the ice more than he needs to be. Let him skate on the 2nd pairing with someone like Edler or Tanev while Barrie eats those tough minutes. Hell, Makar is arguably a better dman than him with a similar path and he was skating behind Barrie in COL. 

Dude....

If Canuck trade that high price for Barrie it’s not for a single year. They would do it with full intentions of locking him up long term  

Barrie eats those tough minutes.  Haha yeah. 4 min of pp time with 60% Ozone starts scream tough. 

• Upvote 1