The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] 2019 NHL Entry Draft

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

As it turns out, if it was a half dozen spots down they could have still had Newhook or Krebs.  Philly got a 2nd for 3 spots, so likely a pick or so.

My guess is they had this as their order at their pick

1. Zegras

2. Broberg

3. Krebs

But they also had Podkolzin MUCH higher and didn't expect him to be there but had to take the BPA and he was by far. We got a star

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I think the GM's who are jumping on the US Development team bandwagon and drafting players from this team are quite possibly making a mistake.

This stacked team made a lot of decently talented players look better than they actually are because they were all concentrated in one group.

I don't like all the Smurf picks.... these types of players look good in the regular season, but as we saw in the 2019 Stanley Cup playoffs, they don't look quite so good when the playoffs start and the intensity and physicality gets turned up to max and the Refs put away their whistles.  St Louis Blues were the biggest team in the playoffs and were stacked with guys who liked to hit.  They won by wearing down the opposition with punishing physical play combined with speed on the forecheck.  They basically wore their opponents out.

No more Smurfs in Vancouver... we need big physical players who have good speed.

41 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

What a stupid remark.

Let's see... a few of the 'Frenchmen' who dominated the NHL:

Mario Lemieux, Maurice Richard, Guy Lafleur, Jean Beliveau, Denis Potvin, Patrick Roy, Martin Brodeur, etc. etc. etc.

You just equated the USNDTP with a bunch of over-rated smurfs, and the GMs that selected them less informed than youself....

And then your next post you're commenting on someone else's "stupid remark"?

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

You just equated the USNDTP with a bunch of over-rated smurfs, and the GMs that selected them less informed than youself....

And then your next post you're commenting on someone else's "stupid remark"?

You know what?   You are entitled to your opinion re. the US development team... we will see how they do in the NHL.

Re. my responding to someone's comments about "Frenchmen".... I reserve the right to call someone out when they make what sounds like a redneck comment.

Korczak at 40 and I consider this a heist of a draft. With that said there are still a good many interesting names around too. Lavoie really catches my eye. 6'4, center, playoff performer. I like Mikko Kokkonen as well. Fins are a NHL factory as of late. Yeah he's a left D and not super big but I still like his skills. Vladislav Kolyachonok is an interesting feller too. 6'2 200 pounds. Lots of interesting names still kicking. Can't wait to see how the rest of the draft shapes out. As of now, I am very, very happy with Podkolzin at 10. Figured we'd have to trade up to get a guy like that. GMs looking at smaller picture I guess. 2 years too long to wait for a 18 year old, well that's on you.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I miss TSN's coverage. I wish someone would tell Sportsnet's producer that viewers are not interested in graphics about who the Islanders' top +/- guy was last year. Tell me about the players that are available to be drafted. 

Plus Bob McKenzie is probably the most insightful guy on the planet regarding the young prospects.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

He seems to be more interested in talking to scouts and then consolidating and summarizing their opinions as opposed to giving his own (which I appreciate). 

Yep.  Much better than listening to guys who got fired for their opinion not being very good, such as Button.

• Upvote 4

Am I the only one who is upset about this pick? Vasili Podkolzin had awkward as skating and he reminds me of Ryan Smyth. Not that Ryan Smyth isn't good but I would have chosen Matthew Boldy. I just do not see Vasili Podkolzin becoming a first liner. He looks to me to be more like a Ryan Smyth or Alex Burrows player. Good utility player but not one that can lead a team.

Sigh....

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2

6 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

Am I the only one who is upset about this pick? Vasili Podkolzin had awkward as skating and he reminds me of Ryan Smyth. Not that Ryan Smyth isn't good but I would have chosen Matthew Boldy. I just do not see Vasili Podkolzin becoming a first liner. He looks to me to be more like a Ryan Smyth or Alex Burrows player. Good utility player but not one that can lead a team.

Sigh....

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2019/04/02/vasili-podkolzin-scouting-report-2019-nhl-draft-3/

:picard:

8 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

Sigh....

Boldy is a weak skater so make up your mind about the skating weakness complaint

He was playing on such a stacked team, a lot of these guys may have benefited from Hughes etc, very risky vs a guy that was the leader on his team at one tourney

Edited by shad0w4life
  • Cheers 2