The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And dumping Loui, and Sutter (Baer too) will cost a top prospect (or a first, which we don’t have to give).  Teams will insist on Podkolzin, Hoglander, or Rathbone as the sweetener.  JB can’t afford to give those guys up.  That means we are stuck with those old guys, and their contracts.  That means we have no way to sign Marky, Tanev, and Tofu.  It sucks, but it’s what will likely happen.  I’m still hopeful, because of this whole Covid 19 thing, we get a couple compliance buyouts, and we use them on Loui and Myers.  That’s 12 million off the cap.  

No Alf.  Just no to all this. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

The difference is that Sutter just turned 31 as opposed to Backes who turns 36 in May. Sutter also plays as a defensive center. If the Canucks were to retain 1-2m on Sutter's contract they'd still free up 2.3-3.3m. Sutter at 2.3m-3.3m could have value to a team in need of defensive players, particularly at 2.3m. Sutter at 2.3-3.3m on an expiring contract isn't a huge anchor.

Look around the league how many defensive 4th line centres make over 2.3m? You got a guy like Richardson in Arizona who’s just as responsible defensively as Sutter and he makes 1.25m... I just don’t see a team looking at Sutter and thinking they can’t find a similar guy in FA for 4x less price. I could be wrong but I think he’s got zero value right now. Also if you’re going by the eye test Sutter does not pass. He’s been playing awful as of late.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

Look around the league how many defensive 4th line centres make over 2.3m? You got a guy like Richardson in Arizona who’s just as responsible defensively as Sutter and he makes 1.25m... I just don’t see a team looking at Sutter and thinking they can’t find a similar guy in FA for 4x less price. I could be wrong but I think he’s got zero value right now. Also if you’re going by the eye test Sutter does not pass. He’s been playing awful as of late.

Blues have Sundqvist at 2.75, he's 25 and a big larger. Stars have Faksa at 2.2, he's 26 and a big bigger. Minny has 37 year old Koivu at 5.5m. Columbus has Shore at 2.3 but he's 25. Carolina's got Martinook at 2m, he's 27. Detroit's got 35 year old Nielson making 5.2m. Nashville pays it's c's well, they've got Bonino at 4.1, Turris at 6, Duchene and Johansen at 8. Someone's playing 4c. 

Sure, a number of teams have cheaper guys filling in that 4c spot but it's not as if it's exclusively us with a guy who's paid more. Keep in mind, some of the guys I've listed like Koivu and Nielson have declined with age, they weren't signed to be 4'cs. But neither was Sutter, he was supposed to be a 3c guy and that's a role he's played for us in the past.

And I'm not saying we'd get a real asset in return for him, but if we retain on his contract it's not costing us a 1st to move him. He's not dead weight, he's still serviceable and probably just fine at a reduced rate. If the goal is to acquire cap space and move a guy on an expiring contract to free up a spot our retaining would be a solid way to acquire at least a bit of cap flexibility. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Blues have Sundqvist at 2.75, he's 25 and a big larger. Stars have Faksa at 2.2, he's 26 and a big bigger. Minny has 37 year old Koivu at 5.5m. Columbus has Shore at 2.3 but he's 25. Carolina's got Martinook at 2m, he's 27. Detroit's got 35 year old Nielson making 5.2m. Nashville pays it's c's well, they've got Bonino at 4.1, Turris at 6, Duchene and Johansen at 8. Someone's playing 4c. 

Sure, a number of teams have cheaper guys filling in that 4c spot but it's not as if it's exclusively us with a guy who's paid more. Keep in mind, some of the guys I've listed like Koivu and Nielson have declined with age, they weren't signed to be 4'cs. But neither was Sutter, he was supposed to be a 3c guy and that's a role he's played for us in the past.

And I'm not saying we'd get a real asset in return for him, but if we retain on his contract it's not costing us a 1st to move him. He's not dead weight, he's still serviceable and probably just fine at a reduced rate. If the goal is to acquire cap space and move a guy on an expiring contract to free up a spot our retaining would be a solid way to acquire at least a bit of cap flexibility. 

The guys that you have listed if you were to offer Sutter for any of them does the other team agree? He’s being paid 4m for 1 more year after this. A guy like Bonino is a two way centre who puts up good offensive seasons. He already had 35pts this year and is still cheaper then Sutter. Koivu and Nielsen are also on awful contracts.

Anyways if JB somehow manages to trade him I’d be happily surprised. If he doesn’t then I’d let Toffoli go and look for an upgrade on D. 

6 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

The guys that you have listed if you were to offer Sutter for any of them does the other team agree? He’s being paid 4m for 1 more year after this. A guy like Bonino is a two way centre who puts up good offensive seasons. He already had 35pts this year and is still cheaper then Sutter. Koivu and Nielsen are also on awful contracts.

Anyways if JB somehow manages to trade him I’d be happily surprised. If he doesn’t then I’d let Toffoli go and look for an upgrade on D. 

That post wasn't about trading Sutter for one of those guys, it simply had examples of guys who were paid closer to 2-3m or more playing fourth line roles. And some of them aren't good contracts at all, my entire point is that if you knock a million or two off Sutter's contract it doesn't look so bad anymore. And yes, Bonino is fair value for his contract but he's still an example of someone making more money in a fourth line role. If we were to retain 1-2m on Sutter he'd be movable for a smaller cost. There's no long term risk in taking him on for a team either, because as you've said he's got one more season left on his contract. 

Fans are always going to complain about players, but there's a lot less to complain about when a guy is only making 2.3m. Retaining 2m for a year would give us 2m towards signing someone else which could make or break our ability to retain a player or two. People make Sutter out to be this terrible anchor that'd cost us a ton to move, if we retain he's not an anchor at all. 

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

I agree Tofu wants to stay.  He said so himself, when he was quoted, “I’m trying to earn the contract I feel I deserve.”  His wife was on the phones at that special night last week too.  How do we have cap space?  Don’t we want to resign Marky and Tanev? 

Id love to keep Tofu, but believe Marky and Tanev are more of the priority, no? 

Tanev is gone. Let him walk

• Wat 1

16 hours ago, The Great 8 said:

You cannot even compare a 36 year old Backes on a $6 million contract who only net 20 points in his last full season while being a huge defensive liability to a 31 year old Sutter on an expiring $4.375 million contract that is on pace to double Backs' production in half as many games.

You literally cannot.  

Sutter is MORE than traceable in his last year while Backes was possibly worse than Lucic.  While Lucic still managed to get traded for a half decent swap.  

Any claim of that nature is ridiculous and only based on opinion or bias

• Cheers 1

Podkolzin will make the team in 2021/22.

Maybe the Canucks sign Toffoli for 4 years, let's say. 

Out - Roussel, Eriksson, Sutter, Motte, Beagle, Leivo, an Ferland (I'm afraid his health will force retirement) 

My guess for 2021/22:

LW - Miller, Pearson, Hoglander, Virtanen

RW - Boeser, Toffoli, Podkolzin, MacEwen

extra: Lind

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Out - Roussel, Eriksson, Sutter, Motte, Beagle, Leivo, an Ferland (I'm afraid his health will force retirement) 

My guess for 2021/22:

I love Podkolzin.  He’s going to be a top six guy for sure.  Hoglander I’m not so high on.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

My guess for 2021/22:

So we’re going back to rebuilding? 

I’m all for young guys in our lineup but you can’t get rid of every single forward with an ounce of defensive awareness.  

Again, our issues are defending, not scoring.  

Motte and one of Beagle/Sutter have a spot for me. 

So KHL is still going and Podkolzins Ska St. Petersburg Team advances too the conference finals.

Skas opponents jokerit withdrew round 2nd. So Podkolzin is still playing but his team doesnt play for a few weeks.

im not sure if hes also playing for the jr team while waiting for the Khl 3rd round to start.

anywho im looking forward to watching him play some more playoff hockey. 

Go Podkolzin Go

• Cheers 1