The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

It’s his third tournament, and given his draft position (and remember he spent some time at #3 in the pre-draft rankings) and the fact he is the captain, there is absolutely nothing wrong with expecting more than what he has shown thus far. The theory that anyone critiquing our prospects isn’t a “true fan” is one of the worst things I’ve seen peddled on this board over the years.  But even though my expectations of him are higher than what he has shown thus far...even the slightest whispers of “bust” are idiotic. But given our hopes for him in the future he really should be able to show some offensive production in this tournament. I’d love to see Larianov shake up the lines for tonight’s game.

I’ve seen comments here and there about his conditioning - even Podz himself commented on it having to be better - so I’d be all for getting him over here and learning from Bo and Petey in this regard. And his skating really needs some work. It’s fine in a tournament like this but he needs another gear for the NHL.

A three point game vs the Austrians tonight is what the kid needs.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Locke Lamora said:

It’s his third tournament, and given his draft position (and remember he spent some time at #3 in the pre-draft rankings) and the fact he is the captain, there is absolutely nothing wrong with expecting more than what he has shown thus far. The theory that anyone critiquing our prospects isn’t a “true fan” is one of the worst things I’ve seen peddled on this board over the years.  But even though my expectations of him are higher than what he has shown thus far...even the slightest whispers of “bust” are idiotic. But given our hopes for him in the future he really should be able to show some offensive production in this tournament. I’d love to see Larianov shake up the lines for tonight’s game.

I’ve seen comments here and there about his conditioning - even Podz himself commented on it having to be better - so I’d be all for getting him over here and learning from Bo and Petey in this regard. And his skating really needs some work. It’s fine in a tournament like this but he needs another gear for the NHL.

A three point game vs the Austrians tonight is what the kid needs.

Honestly, like what's the harm in saying he has not been good this tournament. Like others have mentioned so many WJC superstars haven't done anything in the NHL, and vice versa. 

Pierre Luc Dubois had one of the most atrocious tournaments I've seen, versus what he should have done, and he's a number one centre in the NHL hands down. 

Pod may or may not go the same route, but blindly saying he's been good because he has 1 or 2 moments a game is quite defensive, give him the chance to actually have a monster game and I'll be the first to sing his praises. I think he's the exact type of player we need. 

This also just in, not all of Hoglander, Podkolzin,DiPietro, Juolevi, Rathbone, Rafferty etc... will hit their absolute ceilings. It's just not how it works. Ask 30 other NHL teams.