The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

43 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Larionov has the Russians playing their old style from his era. The Czechs played the way they used to beat the Russians of that era

His style would be ok for the larger ice surface but the Czech's out hit and wore the Russians down, then capitalized on their chances 

Czech's with the lunch bucket approach

they patiently waited for their chances and scored on them

Edited by Hairy Kneel

4 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I see a LOT of fans questioning his abilities.

Guys, this IS a 19 year old kid, who has been playing in the KHL, the second best league in the world, and has been holding his own there.

Does he have more development to do? Absolutely, because, if you read back to my earlier point, he is a 19 YEAR OLD KID!

Wait and see how he looks and performs when he is signed here and plays with skilled players.

Benning is a better judge of talent than anyone else on this forum, and he is excited about this kid, so I'm more than willing to see how he looks when he gets here.

Remember this NO ONE is infallible. I'd say Virtanen and Juolevi are still up for debate, chosen 6th and 5th respectively. One thing for sure a re draft would place them in a different spot

1 minute ago, Fred65 said:

Remember this NO ONE is infallible. I'd say Virtanen and Juolevi are still up for debate, chosen 6th and 5th respectively. One thing for sure a re draft would place them in a different spot

On Virtanen, definitely. Skill is there, but he really doesn't seem to have the drive to be the consistent player he should be.

Juolevi, was ranked exactly where he was chosen, by a lot of scouts. No one can anticipate major injuries or how they will slow the progress and development of a prospect. This year, we will find out if OJ is for real and if he can catch back up to the expectations everyone had on him in his draft year. There's one thing to do a redraft when a player has just under performed, but its not really fair to the prospect when there are extenuating injury issues that are outside of anyone's control.

Virtanen also had injury issues in his draft class, but we still chose him, so completely on management for not going a safer route.

• Cheers 1

I remember when brock boeser played in the world juniors. He was pulled off of Auston Matthew's wing, didn't have a great tournament. The forum went...hmm.. maybe he wasn't that good after all. 

Then came Elias Pettersson who had a decent tournament but slightly below the expectations of the god like status people here were expecting. Casey Mittelstadt was brilliant that tournament, people on the forum were like... hmm.. maybe Mittelstadt was better?

Now let's get to Quinn Hughes, he had a paltry 5 assists in 14 career games at the WJC, zero goals.. the forum was like, maybe he wasn't as hot as we think he is. 

You know who did absolutely kill it one year in the WJC? Olli Juolevi, that's why he was drafted so high. I guess he must have turned out brilliantly. 

I think we might want to take some of these stats with a grain of salt. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Pod     Gaud      Jake                   Or               Pod    Gaud    Hog    

A future bottom six line.  Stop worrying about where prospects were drafted. I look more at whether they fill a need . This is about building a winner not whether we picked the best player in the draft. We have a solid group of offensive players. We need the meat and potato guys. Our bottom six is weak.

If OJ plays a full season and over comes his injury problems it will be like finding a $20 in a jacket that we haven't worn for a year. If he turns into a solid top 4 it will be like finding a $50.

14 hours ago, Fred65 said:

lol, same as 99% of the players in the draft. That's why it's called a draft.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

On Virtanen, definitely. Skill is there, but he really doesn't seem to have the drive to be the consistent player he should be.

Juolevi, was ranked exactly where he was chosen, by a lot of scouts. No one can anticipate major injuries or how they will slow the progress and development of a prospect. This year, we will find out if OJ is for real and if he can catch back up to the expectations everyone had on him in his draft year. There's one thing to do a redraft when a player has just under performed, but its not really fair to the prospect when there are extenuating injury issues that are outside of anyone's control.

Virtanen also had injury issues in his draft class, but we still chose him, so completely on management for not going a safer route.

Craig Button had Jake ranked in the top 1/3 of the 2nd round. Jake would never have fallen that far in the draft but Button wasn't far off. He's not wrong very often and he's still very high on Podz fwiw. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

He plays a similar game/style to Bo Horvat. |||Which will translate to the NHL.

Also, If anybody's actually watching they would realize he's NOT 6'4''  LMAO. 

He's 6'1''... 

It's what they have him listed at here...

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/512832/vasili-podkolzin

KHL has him at 6'3"

So...who knows?  

21 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

If he doesn’t score tonight he’s a for sure bust.

Sadly some fans will actually react this way.

Meanwhile complaining that we should have drafted Zegras the future Hart winner even though he was taken ahead of our pick.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Meanwhile complaining that we should have drafted Zegras the future Hart winner even though he was taken ahead of our pick.

Yeah exactly. Or Newhook like that other thread funny thing is though at the time of the draft JB stated that they had a handful of players in the top 10 they would have drafted. If they weren’t there they were trading down. So Podz was on that list. I’m sure Zegras was too but Newhook obviously wasn’t 

32 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

zegras was who i wanted, but i like podz we need a player like him 

• Cheers 2