The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

I have time for the WJC doesnt mean anything for his NHL career, just ask Jordan Schroeder.

But, I don’t see what there is to praise, unless you really cherry pick. He doesn’t drive a line, doesn’t screen properly, passes into no one a lot, and missed the net more than he hits the net.

Yes he is defensively responsible, but I’m struggling to drink the koolaid other than that. 

I do see a lot of Burrows tho, in a player who probably doesn’t score 20 on a line other than with the Sedins, but could be the perfect complimentary piece with the right players, which were lucky enough to have already.

Edited by Zhukini
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Zhukini said:

I have time for the WJC doesnt mean anything for his NHL career, just ask Jordan Schroeder.

But, I don’t see what there is to praise, unless you really cherry pick. He doesn’t drive a line, doesn’t screen properly, passes into no one a lot, and missed the net more than he hits the net.

Yes he is defensively responsible, but I’m struggling to drink the koolaid other than that. 

I do see a lot of Burrows tho, in a player who probably doesn’t score 20 on a line other than with the Sedins, but could be the perfect complimentary piece with the right players, which were lucky enough to have already.

He plays a North American style game and struggles fitting into a Russian system.

• Like 2

Just now, King Heffy said:

He plays a North American style game and struggles fitting into a Russian system.

Is this just slang for he’s good defensively and not dynamic offensively? 

Which is fine, you probably win more games because of his simple plays than you lose. And not everyone can be Peter or Hughes, but let’s not pretend he’s having a good tournament so far. To be fair neither is his team.

9 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Is this just slang for he’s good defensively and not dynamic offensively? 

Which is fine, you probably win more games because of his simple plays than you lose. And not everyone can be Peter or Hughes, but let’s not pretend he’s having a good tournament so far. To be fair neither is his team.

Russia has been brutal so far. They have no identity. Not skilled, not big, not fast, not defensive, not offensive. Very little chemistry through the team and their D are pylons. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

I remember a player who absolutely dominated the World Juniors in 2016 and led the entire tournament in points.  He was so good he got picked 4th overall in the 2016 NHL draft.  He went on to become a star in the NHL as expected...

Oh wait, Jesse Puljujarvi is actually a bust who couldn’t even crack the Oilers lineup and is currently playing in Finland...

Podkolzin has an NHL game.  Puljujarvi doesn’t.  That’s the difference.  I want to see Podkolzin play with BO and Miller before we determine what his NHL future looks like...

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I remember a player who absolutely dominated the World Juniors in 2016 and led the entire tournament in points.  He was so good he got picked 4th overall in the 2016 NHL draft.  He went on to become a star in the NHL as expected...

Oh wait, Jesse Puljujarvi is actually a bust who couldn’t even crack the Oilers lineup and is currently playing in Finland...

Podkolzin has an NHL game.  Puljujarvi doesn’t.  That’s the difference.  I want to see Podkolzin play with BO and Miller before we determine what his NHL future looks like...

He is back, we will see how he does this go around. I won't call him a bust, some player take different time to develop. Juolevi also led the Finnish blueline in that tournament, I hope he breaks out this year.

13 minutes ago, rekker said:

Russia has been brutal so far. They have no identity. Not skilled, not big, not fast, not defensive, not offensive. Very little chemistry through the team and their D are pylons. 

They're really struggling to move from the KHL style to the more dynamic style Larionov wants them to play. They have talent, but haven't put it together yet.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

He is back, we will see how he does this go around. I won't call him a bust, some player take different time to develop. Juolevi also led the Finnish blueline in that tournament, I hope he breaks out this year.

Juolevi has had two major injuries in the last 2 years.  What’s Puljujarvi’s excuse?  The fact is Puljujarvi has been playing for several years against men and hasn’t even cracked the Oilers lineup yet.  But people want to call out Podkolzin cause he isn’t dominating the World Juniors.  Puljujarvi could still come back and have a decent NHL career but to think he’s going to dominate the NHL like a 4th overall pick should is wishful thinking.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Juolevi has had two major injuries in the last 2 years.  What’s Puljujarvi’s excuse?  The fact is Puljujarvi has been playing for several years against men and hasn’t even cracked the Oilers lineup yet.  But people want to call out Podkolzin cause he isn’t dominating the World Juniors.  Puljujarvi could still come back and have a decent NHL career but to think he’s going to dominate the NHL like a 4th overall pick should is wishful thinking.  

Also of note, Juolevi was 9th in points in that (pretty stacked) 2016 tourney. The 'BUST BUST BUST' crowd easily forgot about that fact.

Back to Podkolzin, he will be fine. I think it will only make him want to get out of Russia more. Put him with actual skilled NHL players, and watch what happens. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Laheys Liquor said:

Also of note, Juolevi was 9th in points in that (pretty stacked) 2016 tourney. The 'BUST BUST BUST' crowd easily forgot about that fact.

Back to Podkolzin, he will be fine. I think it will only make him want to get out of Russia more. Put him with actual skilled NHL players, and watch what happens. 

Exactly.  He’s playing with a bunch of pylons in the World Juniors.  In the KHL the coach barely plays him because he is leaving the team in 4 months.  How is Podkolzin supposed to actually develop under these conditions?  

Benning needs to get him over here ASAP and put him on a line with BO and Miller and then we can see the real Podkolzin...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, austy said:

That pass to no one on the third and pods face palm reaction indicates maybe he is under a bit of pressure?   

I think that is just a natural reaction of any player who makes a mistake such as that, let alone the captain of a hockey mad nation. No doubt he is under pressure but that is not what led to the error, just a human who goofed and was upset at himself.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, KyGuy123 said:

Regardless of opinion this is a player with his experience and age who should be dominating this tournament in every way. His deployment the last two years has not been good and confidence is a huge factor when it comes to hockey. I see a frustrated player who is trying to simplify his game because of expectations. He needs to dominate offensively for the rest of the tournament in a big way.

He needs to stabilize that team and keep them focused. After last years high of spanking the Canadians in the first game then facing the loss to the Canadians in the gold medal game. His experience is vital. His ability to play 200 ft is also vital. Being a one dimensional goal scorer is not his game nor who he needs to become. 

1 hour ago, austy said:

That pass to no one on the third and pods face palm reaction indicates maybe he is under a bit of pressure?   

I did not see it as I am in Europe. Was there another player in the area? Was it a set play were the other player never got into position?

He looks hurt right now. He was gliding a lot tonight and I didn't see him actually try to use his speed. Wonder if he's got a groin or foot injury? Normally he gives it 100% and it looks like he's giving 60% out there. I doubt its from a lack of effort but I can't help but notice it. It was like watching Jake (skating only), I was like move your feet and use your speed!