The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

16 hours ago, hammertime said:

Here is the conundrum for the Canucks I can't see a future where the Canucks have Toffolli, Boeser, Virtanen, and Podkolzin at the same time for long.

Why not?  Virtanen isn't going to be a high salary, an Podkolzin will be on a ELC. I don't see that Toffoli and Boeser will be much more than $5-6 mill wingers.  Unless they are pushed out be better/younger/cheaper wingers, why would we move one or more of them?

18 hours ago, hammertime said:

Here is the conundrum for the Canucks I can't see a future where the Canucks have Toffolli, Boeser, Virtanen, and Podkolzin at the same time for long.

Obviously a good problem to have. If all guys pan out and you’re worried about salary or space you just enjoy the riches for as long as you can keep them together then trade pieces for things you need or high draft picks.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Or Brock?,

Not opposed to it if it makes sense.

34 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

for  an even better defenceman, Brock will have a high cap soon

Jake is cheaper, has not been injured as much, and a different player than all the others

Jake's not going to be terribly cheap for much longer either if he manages to keep improving (as we all hope). Certainly more than we can afford to pay a 3rd liner long term. And this thread's name sake has a far more similar skill set to Jake's than Brock's.

AKA, Podkolzin could likely replace a lot of what Jake does, on an ELC in another year. Who in our prospect pool has the one shot scoring ability of Brock to replace him...? I'm in less of a hurry to dump our high character, 1st line W'er than others apparently. 

IMO, re-sign Toffoli, we have lots of W'er depth to fill in on the 3rd line for moving Jake next year (or simply wait until Vasily arrives the year following). As Vasily gets older/better, Toffoli ages out and gets moved for futures/other holes. And we eventually have guys like Lind, MacEwan etc to slide up the ladder in the bottom 6.

Similar to Pearson on the left. Keep him around until guys like Hoglander can bump him down to the 3rd and eventually move him for futures/other holes.

11 hours ago, aGENT said:

Not really a conundrum, package Virtanen for a D at that point.

Boeser is a far more logical move.  Virtanen brings a lot to the table that don't show up on the scpre sheet, but keep his value much lower than Boeser.  TT can replace Boesers offense and BB will bring a pretty solid return.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

31 minutes ago, stawns said:

Boeser is a far more logical move.  Virtanen brings a lot to the table that don't show up on the scpre sheet, but keep his value much lower than Boeser.  TT can replace Boesers offense and BB will bring a pretty solid return.

See above.

On 4/6/2020 at 6:07 PM, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

:wub:

Cheers thanks for that. I'll admit I haven't seen him play at all aside from a couple of highlight vids on Youtube. This was a little more telling. Here are my findings, and take them with a HUGE grain of salt because they're based on ONE 5m30s video. BUT here goes nothing:

- Good motor on him, battles hard and keeps his head on a swivel. Decently active stick although I think he tries to get his body in the way more than leveraging his reach. That can be fixed with some coaching. Not that it's a huge issue to begin with. Tries to find good positioning defensively and will get in the lane to block shots. Always something you like to see in a high pick.

- High compete level. Tries to find open ice, or engage in battles whenever possible. He does occasionally float but nothing noteworthy, and typically doesn't put himself or his teammates in a bad position as a result of it.

- Isn't an effortless speedster, although I wouldn't say he's a bad skater, but a bit of an awkward skater. I'd say he's ever-so-slightly below average in the NHL, but not something I'm remotely concerned about. Just needs to clean up his stride and work a little on first 2 steps and he should be more than fine.

- Puck hound. Good forecheck because of his tenacity and his motor, with the potential to be a great forechecker if he improves his skating. Smaller ice surface will serve him well. I really like that part of his game. Dog on a bone type.

- Not a blazing wrist shot, although not terrible. Not flashy, and not the smoothest stick handler so I don't think he'll be Datsyuk-ing too many NHLers. Decent vision, but I wouldn't call him the second coming of Henrik. He'll usually make a good pass to keep possession. All that said, I imagine he'll be doing most of his scoring from within 30 feet of the net, and his game translates well for the NHL. I think he'll actually be a better NHLer than KHLer.

- I expect he'll be a good playoff performer for us. He's kind of a more physically equipped Alex Burrows, and the following bullet point drives that home.

- My favourite part about him: it's a 6 nothing blowout and his team had a comfortable lead since the first period, but with 30 seconds left in the game he was still back checking hard and trying to block a shot. That's pretty remarkable, and something you absolutely LOVE to see. Speaks volumes to the kind of teammate he is, as well as his compete level. Remarkable is putting it mildly.

- Overall, I really like his 2way, in-your-face, nothing-will-come-easy style of play. It seems like this kid is a good leader on and off the ice. I wouldn't be surprised if he wears an A for us after he's established himself. IMO he might project to be a good top 6 winger in the 45-60 point range over 82 games (depending on the linemates he plays with). Grain of salt. 

I'm super happy with the pick and absolutely ecstatic to have this kid on the roster in 1.5 years. I think he'll win some big games for us in his career. Seems like a big game player. His style of play and body language seem to suggest that.

One last time, take all of that with a BIG ol' spoonful of salt because it's based on a 5m30s video. I really shouldn't even be posting this, but I have a lot of time on my hands and wanted to jot down my thoughts.

Edited by Vanuckles
  • Cheers 4

On 6/1/2020 at 5:50 PM, hammertime said:

If Pod shows he can contribute in the NHL right away I look to trade Boeser for a similar age dman who isnt as good yet but has more potential, think johansen for jones esque

Boeser and his agent priced themselves out of Vancouver, long term.  He's really the best one to trade as he'd fetch a high return and shave 7 mil/season of our cap. 

7 hours ago, logic said:

If Pod shows he can contribute in the NHL right away I look to trade Boeser for a similar age dman who isnt as good yet but has more potential, think johansen for jones esque

I imagine with the style of game Pod plays it will probably take some time to adjust to the NHL much like it did for Bo.

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

He'd fetch a high return because he's a first line, 1 shot scorer with high character.

Will Pettersson be the next 'best one to trade' when his contract is up, for the same reasons?

Paying your top players for being top players is not the problem some here seem to think it is.

He is a good player !. but the question presented was having too many in that position

If we have young players that can earn a spot, why not trade Boeser for a positional player we need before he is hurt and earning 8+ mil and his value is weakened. When have the Canucks sold high? I don't think it has anything to do with Boeser not being liked or appreciated, I think its what might make the team stronger

As good as Boeser is, He is not a franchise player like EP or Hughes and wont be requests to trade them when their contract is up

54 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

He is a good player !. but the question presented was having too many in that position

If we have young players that can earn a spot, why not trade Boeser for a positional player we need before he is hurt and earning 8+ mil and his value is weakened. When have the Canucks sold high? I don't think it has anything to do with Boeser not being liked or appreciated, I think its what might make the team stronger

As good as Boeser is, He is not a franchise player like EP or Hughes and wont be requests to trade them when their contract is up

Who says he gets hurt again?

Why not keep him and trade someone else that's not a high character, one shot scoring 1RW that's far more difficult to replace?

45 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Just don't re-sign Toffoli.  Doesn't that solve this pending problem?

I'm fine re-signing Toffoli and moving a young F for a D and letting Podkolzin eventually take over for Toffoli down the line. Nothing wrong with the premise (even with Boeser should the return be suitable). In fact it would arguably be ideal asset management.

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Just don't re-sign Toffoli.  Doesn't that solve this pending problem?

Teams don't just let top line players go. If the Canucks can sign Toffoli for a reasonable contract then you do it.

Trade another asset if needed, but you don't give away assets.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

Not saying that Podkolzin will be as good in his rookie year as Hughes, EP or Boeser, but he will be every bit as NHL ready from the start as they were.

I agree. I don't think Pod's skill level is quite as high as those players, but when you consider his compete level/work ethic/playing style, he could be just as valuable to the team. And I think he is already NHL ready, and will be even more so when he comes over here.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1