The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

dunno, I felt like Russia came out a bit flat in the 1st, not really skating hard and didn't build a decent lead. They picked it up later tho and were lucky for this not to go to OT.

I feel like they were in a testing the waters state....that could really escalate quickly, but didn't.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its exiting to me because the things we're seeing usually take offensive prospects into their late ELCs to emerge. If Goldy had 1/2 of what Podz is showing he'd be on the team.

What will he produce for goals in the NHL? who knows. I can see him being something like a 15 goal, 50-60 point player if he's able to translate his game. 

His game, IMO, is already as 'mature' as Virtanen's last year. Possibly even more so.

The reports of Virtanen's new found maturity and training best be true, for his own sake.

Clocks ticking, and in a few months he may not even have to look over this shoulder, he may have already been passed.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I feel like they were in a testing the waters state....that could really escalate quickly, but didn't.

for sure.

Well, I'm getting my TSN money's worth ^_^ at least one more Podz watch game. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

maybe Bo too. With Bo being a beast on face-offs and Pods going into retrieve pucks, they can create a lot of chances that way too. I'd love to see Hoglander-Bo-Podz work out. 

Man those three would be an absolute headache for play against. All so strong down low. Similar the the kings when they won their cups, just a heavy line that smothers you and grinds you down 

• Cheers 2

29 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Context begs to differ on that statement. Podkolzin's had a strong strong game. If you look purely at numbers you lose out on the context of how strong Podkolzin has played today against Germany.

Everything he has done has led to beneficiary of his linemates and other subsequent lines. As I stated before the tournament started, Podkolzin won't rack up points, its his hard work and dedicated work ethic will lead to others benefitting. Its frustrating yes to not have him have more points, but overall you cannot be displeased with Podkolzin. Nor can you expect every prospect to be point generators. Pettersson, Hughes will shoulder that load, Podkolzin is a different breed where he becomes the heart and soul of the team.

Yeah, well said. I can buy this.  I do like him as a prospect overall 4 sure.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

His game, IMO, is already as 'mature' as Virtanen's last year. Possibly even more so.

The reports of Virtanen's new found maturity and training best be true, for his own sake.

Clocks ticking, and in a few months he may not even have to look over this shoulder, he may have already been passed.

trusted on the PK, boards, corners, net front, PP... what am I missing? 

do you think his skating is up to NHL speed? 

1 minute ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

Man those three would be an absolute headache for play against. All so strong down low. Similar the the kings when they won their cups, just a heavy line that smothers you and grinds you down 

yup it does have that kind of feel to it. 

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not to get things too off-topic here....but I’m incredibly interested to see what an extremely well conditioned Virtanen looks like on the ice. This very well could be Tyler Myers greatest impact on his time with the Canucks. :)

And I really wish we could keep Podkolzin in North America right now. I can’t help feeling that his development is stagnating in Russia to a significant degree.

Edited by Locke Lamora
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

He's not a burner and his stance is awkward as hell, but he gets around fine despite it. A good skating coach and look out though...

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Not to get things topic here....but I’m incredibly interested to see what an extremely well conditioned Virtanen looks like on the ice. This very well could be Tyler Myers greatest impact on his time with the Canucks. :)

And I really wish we could keep Podkolzin in North America right now. I can’t help feeling that his development is stagnating in Russia to a significant degree.

Me too! Competition breeds champions! This might be a really fun year!

I get the sentiment and I'd like him here too... But he looks pretty good out there for being 'stagnated' ;)

It's only a few more months, he'll be fine and he'll likely be all the happier to be here.

• Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

25 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's not a burner and his stance is awkward as hell, but he gets around fine despite it. A good skating coach and look out though...

His skating is the one issue with his game, imho.  Great motor, vision and attention to detail but he won't get full value for those attributes at the NHL level unless his skating improves.  But that is totally doable.  Bo was a worse skater at this age and look at him now.  The main thing Podkolzin needs is more efficiency and fluidity in his stride, and a good coach can fix that.  I doubt his problem is lack of strength or explosiveness:  it looks like mechanics to me. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, cuporbust said:

This is my issue. Seems every single conversation starts with this, and has for a long stretch of time. It's not a small thing to me. Yes , it's great he brings something else to the table,  but he was drafted to be a point producer ontop of the " little things ". This needs to start changing in a big way for him to be what he was drafted to be.

I am of the belief that once Vasily gets into the NHL, he is going to be with pros that can put the puck in the net. IMO, he a 4 line player, meaning he can play on all 4 lines.

Here is the thing, Vasily makes great passes that are squandered many times, those passes will not be wasted on the Canucks. I am thinking of a pass he made in the 3rd period, that should have at least resulted in a shot............think to Motte who, given the puck scored just like a 1st liner, well Pods can do that for him.

Further more, he will get the puck back in the same manner. IMO Pods has really solid IQ, and when he starts getting the puck back, it will ease your pain..........

The comment "you get me the puck, I'll do the rest!" is going to be a very common comment......think Hughes/Pettersson/Miller type IQ......I honestly see that.......

It may take a year, but it will happen....if not, he is going to make one hell of a checking forward.....lets see where he fits in!

He certainly brings a lot of different things to the table

• Upvote 1

Can’t wait till the kid signs his first pro contract. He oozes tons of potential. His play this WJC shows just that. Plays a 200’ game and works like a horse, forechecks and backchecks really well, never out of a play, and his board play is fantastic as well. He’s going to do some great things in the NHL.

57 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

We drafted him to be exactly what he's turning into.  An elite 200 ft forward... Think Pavaski... A player any team would love to have.

This tournament has only made me more excited for Podkolzin.  He's shown mature beyond his years because he exhibits and understands how to help the team win.  He sees the bigger picture and does all the dirty work, all the work that isn't glamorous in order to win (the little things as you put it).  He sacrifices points to be a stronger support to the rest if his teammates.  Willingly eats the puck to save a high danger scoring chance.  As a result, he makes everyone around him better.  He is the unquestioned leader of this team.  He's earned that.  That is why Igor chose him for captain.   

Once his skating and shot are worked on he'll truly be a complete player... He's already 3/4 of the way there and only what 19? 

Podz is going to be a gem and will be a bigtime player for us.

So glad he fell into our lap.

Hoglander               Pettersson               Boeser

Miller                       Horvat                     Podkolzin

That's going to be a lethal top-six and may become the best in the league in the near future.

• Like 3