The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

Just now, ilduce39 said:

It’s easy to look good when you have a 100+ point guy develop from a 2nd rounder and a 92 point guy develop from a 3rd rounder.  Win a couple top-3 picks for Stamkos, Drouin and Hedman...  and benefit from having no tax on contracts to circumvent the cap.

Yep they’ve made nice moves but they’ve been damn fortunate too.

Yeah the tax is a massive advantage.  And they have had 2nd & 3rd overall picks that we haven't.

But we had a chance to draft both Point & Kucherov, and we passed. We've also been fortunate getting Pettersson, Hughes & Boeser were we did. But the point about there asset management still stands, lots to take away from how they manage the team. That's how they keep getting kicks at the can.

We were a top team for 2-3 years & fell apart. They were in the ECF in 2011, SCF in 2015, and just had the best season in NHL history last year. Its about managing your assets, once you have your franchise players & a good team, thats how you get to the top contender status & maintain that. Drafting & managing assets.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

If Eriksson can be dumped after July 1st we'll be sitting with around 20 million in cap space, even with Boeser re-signing.

You don't think we're gonna use that to get better?

What top 6 forward is available in the free agent that's not going to handcuff the team cap wise going forward with the looming boeser contract this year and pettersson and Hughes in 2 years unless they get rid of bunch of useless contract at this moment like Sutter Ericsson schaller I dont see us being a player in the free agent market without hurting the team cap wise long term. Regardless of what we end up adding in free agent which of the 8 playoff team last year you can say we will be better than after adding a player or 2. Only team I see is maybe Dallas everyone else I dont see much of a drop off. Colorado is only going to get better if grubauer plays well

1 minute ago, Chris12345 said:

I would have rather done the Marleau deal to be honest.

It depends on where you view the team. If you think we’re 3-4 years away you do the Marleau deal, if you’re looking to make the playoffs in 1-2 I don’t mind the Miller deal.  

Maybe they could have done both?  Depends on who we go after in FA.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

Look at their ages and contracts signed...not very comparable.  Canucks want players in mid 20’s, not 30’s.

I looked at their ages.  All of them (except maybe Radulov) were 30 or younger when signed.  

Radulov - 1 million more expensive - back to back 70+ point seasons

Zuccarello is cheaper and gets 50+ points 

Nyquist is cheaper and gets similar points

Johansson only gets paid 250k more

3 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Stop pretending like this was a good deal.

JB overpaid like he does most times and he did to a team that was in cap trouble yet we even added a sweetener with a 3rd. Makes no sense and this trade has a lot of blow-back potential. Even This is a really stupid trade and leap of faith to make. It’s a productive 2nd liner we’re talking about who disappears in the playoffs. 

It was a fair deal.

Some fans here need to learn that there's a middle ground between a steal and a fleecing. Not everything is an outright win for either side.

The trade may be leaning in Tampa's favor right now depending how you look at it. In two years it could be a win for the Canucks. Or maybe both sides get what they want out of the deal. This overreacting and hand wringing does nothing to sway the trade either way.

If you're a Canucks fan all you can do is hope Miller is a good fit here and that we're making the playoffs in the next couple years.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I would have rather done the Marleau deal to be honest.

Marleau had a no-movement clause - so it's possible the Leafs had lots of other buyers, but that he wanted to go to a team in a window - which seriously complicates things, would have significantly reduced the Leafs leverage and can account for a 1st round pick having to be spent to move one mere year of term.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

Did you watch the playoffs?  Teams win with players that range from 25-30's

Sure, but we're not at the point where we can afford to give up 1st round picks for those players. We haven't even MADE the Playoffs yet, let alone won anything. 

1 minute ago, CanuckGAME said:

Miller makes us significantly better in the top 6.  Hes an amazing addition. 

I'm as unhappy about trading the 1st as anybody.  But I think we have our core set.  Now we have to fill out around them.

Our D needs an absolute ****load of work though.  I definitely agree with you there.

I think it was way too early to make this kind of move. The team has so many holes and the defense is the biggest weakness. They probably could have found a player or two in the UFA market. It looks like there will be a shortage of cap money for UFA's and there should be some deals. Just too early in the evolution of this club. I hope we stink next year so we get to keep our pick for 2020. It is deep. Then give up 2021.

Lets hope they can land a D man for reasonable money. We know now that they will be forced to fill holes on the D in the UFA market.

How good is the 21 draft supposed to be? If we miss next year it slides so if the sky is falling and Vancouver is a lottery club then they still draft in the first.

How long do we really want to be missing the playoffs for anyways?

Hopefully Benning can offload Sutter, Louie & Tanev for something either during the off season or at the TDL next year

3 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

This would have been an easier pill to swallow if we did both the Marleau trade and the Miller trade,  trade Torontos 1st for Miller...

That would have been great GMing if we did that, but not our guy

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

So does this mean you want us to be a contender right away or something?

Patience, dude. You're putting the cart before the horse. If we make the playoffs with a young roster, the likelihood we will be a contender afterwards is pretty high as our players are still developing when this happens.

Not what I said. If we don’t even make the playoffs, we could still theoretically win this trade if the Lightning end up drafting a Gaunce. However, if they hit the pick out of the park, the expectations will have to be proportionate. 

Again, we need to wait to come to a conclusion. 

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

It depends on where you view the team. If you think we’re 3-4 years away you do the Marleau deal, if you’re looking to make the playoffs in 1-2 I don’t mind the Miller deal.  

Maybe they could have done both?  Depends on who we go after in FA.

Yea FA is the wild card but they aren't getting passed Calgary, SJ, or Vegas next year.

• Cheers 1

it was really entertaining reading this meltdown happen. All roses and daisies for the first 5 pages, people calling JB amazing.. Then the trade derails get announced. Peoples minds explode over a 1st hahah 

Its not perfect, and he spent too much to upgrade the wrong position. But it makes our team better. If Tampa wasn't in a cap situation, I don't think people would be complaining as much 

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

Yeah the tax is a massive advantage.  And they have had 2nd & 3rd overall picks that we haven't.

But we had a chance to draft both Point & Kucherov, and we passed. We've also been fortunate getting Pettersson, Hughes & Boeser were we did. But the point about there asset management still stands, lots to take away from how they manage the team. That's how they keep getting kicks at the can.

We were a top team for 2-3 years & fell apart. They were in the ECF in 2011, SCF in 2015, and just had the best season in NHL history last year. Its about managing your assets, once you have your franchise players & a good team, thats how you get to the top contender status & maintain that. Drafting & managing assets.

I agree that I like the pipeline, sustainable model TB has.  The Sedin/Kesler/Luongo prime years were awesome but too brief.  

TBH that’s kind of why I like management being more aggressive in bolstering the roster now while Petey is young... time will tell if this is the right call vs going slower and letting draft picks roll in over time.

4 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

What top 6 forward is available in the free agent that's not going to handcuff the team cap wise going forward with the looming boeser contract this year and pettersson and Hughes in 2 years unless they get rid of bunch of useless contract at this moment like Sutter Ericsson schaller I dont see us being a player in the free agent market without hurting the team cap wise long term. Regardless of what we end up adding in free agent which of the 8 playoff team last year you can say we will be better than after adding a player or 2. Only team I see is maybe Dallas everyone else I dont see much of a drop off. Colorado is only going to get better if grubauer plays well

Didn't stop Chicago from going out and getting Hossa.

Panarin is the type of player that is worth going out and paying big for. Contracts will come off the books by that point and we can always dump salary.

I hope they go all in on Panarin.

2 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

I think that's the point people have a problem with.

The Canucks aren't a playoff team and by the time our core is ready for primetime, Miller will have played out his deal and not even be a Canuck anyway.

So what's the point of this deal when draft picks are the currency in today's NHL and 1st rounders in particular are gold and usually not handed out unless they're part of a deal the brings back a very good player, high pick and/or prospect/or cap relief.

To trade our 1st round pick for a middle 6 forward imo, especially for a team still rebuilding it's higher end prospect pool, is something I just can't get my head around. 

Our core is now Bo, Brock, Petey, Hughes. 

Pearson and Miller will still be 30 at worst case 4 years until becoming a playoff threat/contender. IMO this team makes a run for a playoff spot next year or the following year objectively speaking. Sharks are trending down, Ducks are rebuilding, Kings are old and slow, Arizona is run by a mathematician, Holland is going to need some time to fix the tire fire, Calgary is inconsistent, Vegas is the only real playoff lock in the Pacific imo. 

Too much panic and worst case scenario debbie downers here. 

• Cheers 2