The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

5 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

Some people just follow one hockey team and that is end all be all. Some people follow hockey in general and point out that young players are not finished products. They have untapped potential but they need to work hard to realize the potential. 

Hoglander is not a finished product. Pointing out his flawed shot is believing that he can improve in this area. 

Sure, I'm not arguing he is a finished progress. I'm arguing he has been very solid so far this year though. When 2 posts on the same page are just nitpicking about one aspect of the game and ignoring the many positives of the player, it doesn't lead to discussion about a player. It just presents as being negative for the sake of negativity.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Sure, I'm not arguing he is a finished progress. I'm arguing he has been very solid so far this year though. When 2 posts on the same page are just nitpicking about one aspect of the game and ignoring the many positives of the player, it doesn't lead to discussion about a player. It just presents as being negative for the sake of negativity.

Hoglander has 4 points in 12 games. Why can't people nitpick? Did anyone ask Hoglander to be traded or calling him a bust? 

3 hours ago, johngould21 said:

The two smallest forwards on the team, are the most difficult for the opposition to stop along the boards. Their core is so unreal it isn't funny. One shift Garland beat two guys at least 4 times in an eight foot radius. Hoglander did the same in the opposite corner.

Haha yah that shift I was laughing so hard.  This guy literally dangled 4 guys, fell to the ice and kept control 3 times, and had the puck on his stick for like 20-30 seconds.  Unfortunately, it just ended in a turnover but it was hilarious.

10 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

Hoglander has 4 points in 12 games. Why can't people nitpick? Did anyone ask Hoglander to be traded or calling him a bust? 

No one said you can't nitpick. I haven't said anything about you calling him a bust. I said you were complaining about the same aspect of his game within a few posts of each other, which is true. I was simply stating the fact that some people just like to criticize our players. You're expression your displeasure with how Hoglander shoots the puck, I'm expressing mine about how you post the same thing repeatedly. I don't seen an issue here. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maddogy said:

Think of it this way. Have you ever known someone who told you the same negative story every time you hung out? The 1st, and even the 2nd time, is usually fine (and that's where what you say about nitpicking is true). It's when you start hearing the same thing over and over to the point where it's beyond nitpicking and just being someone who's being annoying and probably someone you don't want to hang out with at that point.

Nitpicking's fine, so long as it's doesn't get to the point where it's just straight up complaining and not even being constructive, which is what repetition typically does. ;)

That being said, this is a Canucks forum and we have only so many things we can talk about in a single thread, but that's also why there are multiple discussions going on in the forum as a whole.

Edited by The Lock

2 hours ago, Spartancanuck said:

Hoglander's play has been astounding. He is creating chances every game. I can't believe he's still so young. He has top winger potential.

He has been very good. But he will need to show some kind of high level finish before we can declare him a 1st line player.

This is similar to when everyone loved Jannick Hansen. He was a never stop buzzsaw that was great on fore checking. He just couldn't finish.

I have hopes Hoglander will continue to improve. We shall see where that takes him but I surely love his game.

50 minutes ago, Canuck Luck said:

He has been very good. But he will need to show some kind of high level finish before we can declare him a 1st line player.

This is similar to when everyone loved Jannick Hansen. He was a never stop buzzsaw that was great on fore checking. He just couldn't finish.

I have hopes Hoglander will continue to improve. We shall see where that takes him but I surely love his game.

Sure, however Hansen never had the hands Hoglander has.  He's very similar to Garland with being able to stickhandle in a phone booth while also very strong on the puck.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2021 at 7:33 PM, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Hoglander is 3rd in points out of the 2019 draft class. And 2nd to Jack Hughs by a small fraction in points per game.

You listen to people that watch all the games and Hoglander is always buzzing around the ice injecting great energy on every line.. Hoglander has a great future...

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canuck Luck said:

It kinda depends on how they develop. Alex Burrows was an undrafted bottom 3 player that somehow turned into a top line player.

Ryan Kesler was a forth line pest tweener in his early years. Somehow he managed to develop slowly into one of the best 2nd line centers in the league. And top line material on most teams 

• Cheers 1

Hoglander skitters into 210th in all-time Canuck scoring with his goal tonight.

209.  Jean-Marc Lanthier RW 105 16 16 32
210.  Nils Hoglander RW 70 15 17 32
211.  Bryan Allen D 216 14 18 32
212.  Gerry Minor C 140 11 21 32
213.  Leif Rohlin D 96 8 24 32
214.  Luca Sbisa D 199 7 25 32

1 hour ago, Bobby James said:

He's playing great in a season where so far the majority of our forward group has been meh. 

Can't wait to see him continue to grow and hoping he stays with the Canucks for a long time. 

He's especially been on fire lately. After having just 3 assists in 10 games, he's had 5 goals and 6 points in his last 6 games.

• Cheers 1