The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

On even strength, his goal differential is +4 (12 goals for and 8 against).

It's good, but actually, this is more a reflection of how our team has actually been pretty decent all year at even strength. Hoglander is 4th among all Canuck forwards in even strength GD. Garland leads the team's forwards at +8 (26 for, 18 against) and Podkolzin is 2nd at +5 (15 for, 9 against). For context, the worst forwards are Motte, Lammikko, and Boeser, all at -5. 

11 hours ago, -AJ- said:

On even strength, his goal differential is +4 (12 goals for and 8 against).

It's good, but actually, this is more a reflection of how our team has actually been pretty decent all year at even strength. Hoglander is 4th among all Canuck forwards in even strength GD. Garland leads the team's forwards at +8 (26 for, 18 against) and Podkolzin is 2nd at +5 (15 for, 9 against). For context, the worst forwards are Motte, Lammikko, and Boeser, all at -5. 

I'm surprised by that number for Motte especially considering he's played significantly less games and known to be good defensively. 

34 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

I'm surprised by that number for Motte especially considering he's played significantly less games and known to be good defensively. 

I think it's also a factor of usage somewhat. Defensively used players will tend to have worse numbers, though that doesn't look good for Boeser, but maybe is an indicator of how much he struggled earlier.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Part of me is unsure whether Hoglander will be a top six forward in the longterm. I think he might find his value as a middle six energy forward who can bring some offense. The way he hounds pucks reminds me a lot of Hansen's badger like tendencies. Just needs that defensive game to grow a bit.

I like his work rate, but I don't know how much offense there is in his game. Hope he can find some more confidence to create more offense.

7 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Part of me is unsure whether Hoglander will be a top six forward in the longterm. I think he might find his value as a middle six energy forward who can bring some offense. The way he hounds pucks reminds me a lot of Hansen's badger like tendencies. Just needs that defensive game to grow a bit.

I like his work rate, but I don't know how much offense there is in his game. Hope he can find some more confidence to create more offense.

I don’t disagree but his d-side game has to improve a lot. His sophomore retrograde is not that unusual. He could come back next year and put up bigger numbers. Physically he is a specimen and he can think the game at a high level. I will reserve judgment on his potential and hope he can solidify a top six spot. He has had a lot of great looks this year even if he hasn’t scored.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/25/2022 at 8:07 AM, Boudrias said:

I don’t disagree but his d-side game has to improve a lot. His sophomore retrograde is not that unusual. He could come back next year and put up bigger numbers. Physically he is a specimen and he can think the game at a high level. I will reserve judgment on his potential and hope he can solidify a top six spot. He has had a lot of great looks this year even if he hasn’t scored.

I really think he's gonna be a case of a late bloomer who becomes really good around 26/27, just like Miller.  He's got all the skillsets, he just seems very raw when it comes to professional play.  That was the case with Miller in his first few seasons.  Now, he probably will never be a physically dominant force like JT, but he could very well be a better version of Garland when he refines his play, although I'm not 100% sure he does that in the near future or with this team he seems like the odd man out lately.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

I really think he's gonna be a case of a late bloomer who becomes really good around 26/27, just like Miller.  He's got all the skillsets, he just seems very raw when it comes to professional play.  That was the case with Miller in his first few seasons.  Now, he probably will never be a physically dominant force like JT, but he could very well be a better version of Garland when he refines his play, although I'm not 100% sure he does that in the near future or with this team he seems like the odd man out lately.

I think you may be onto something. I have seen Hogz imitate some skating techniques that Garland uses to gain space. I also think he is like many others on the team, thinking too much. He was working hard this game and generated some chances just has to keep at it.

4 hours ago, FaninMex said:

I think you may be onto something. I have seen Hogz imitate some skating techniques that Garland uses to gain space. I also think he is like many others on the team, thinking too much. He was working hard this game and generated some chances just has to keep at it.

I think the sophomore slump is a big part of it. Looked much better last season. Looked great in the preseason though so I'm ok with him being a 3rd liner for now and unless he really bombs next season I'm expecting at least a middle six winger with great intangibles on a good contract.

• 3 weeks later...

Hoglander appears to be one of the few players who's actually scored less under Boudreau than under Green. Under Green this year, Hoglander had 10 points (5G, 5A) in 25 games. Under Boudreau, that's dropped to 6 points (3G, 3A) in 23 games. Is this a case of the coach hindering the player, or has the player forced the coach to give him less time?

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Hoglander appears to be one of the few players who's actually scored less under Boudreau than under Green. Under Green this year, Hoglander had 10 points (5G, 5A) in 25 games. Under Boudreau, that's dropped to 6 points (3G, 3A) in 23 games. Is this a case of the coach hindering the player, or has the player forced the coach to give him less time?

Hogs has struggled on the breakouts as he has been checked or made suspect passes. Boudreau seems to be forcing Hogs and Podz to think the d-side game more. Part of maturing into the NHL game IMO. He got less than10 minutes against the Laffers and made some gaffes.